PDA

View Full Version : Struggling To Bulk Up

Beyyerdave
09-09-2016, 12:06 PM
Hello, I am looking for some insight on a diet plan that will help me build more muscle mass. About 200 days ago I wighed about 215 lbs and was waaaay out of shape. I went on a very strict diet and workout plan and have cut my weight all the way down to a lean 161. During this period I was taking in about 1800 calories a day and doing HIIT to help accelerate fat loss. Now I am trying to go the other direction and build lean muscle and I am finding it hard to keep weight on. I have upped my calories to about 2200 which I believe is a surplus of about 500 of my current BMR. Problem is that it doesn't seem to be enough and I continue to shed weight. I have even changed up my workout to heavy lifting and have cut out cardio completely. I also sneak in a high calorie cheat meal twice a weak like pizza or a burger and I am still struggling. It's frustrating because I put in a lot of time at the gym and want to start seeing the gains and muscle results and feel like I am just flatlining. Any suggestions?!?!

Jammer02xd
09-09-2016, 12:15 PM
The answer is obvious isn't it... if you're not gaining with what you're eating you need to eat MORE

At minimum, for bulking you're look at 2,576 calories to around 2,900 calories. If you take the time to look through the stickies, you would find that they recommend 16-18 calories per lb. You're still drastically undereating if your goal is to bulk up. Personally, at 170lbs I had to push my intake up above the high mark to 3,200 calories before I'd start to gain at all. I've gone from 171.8 to 175.6 since June 22nd which is a touch over 11 weeks or roughly about .35lbs a week. I gained great at first as I put muscle mass back on jumping from 161lbs up to 170ish but hit a plateau until I got serious and tracking macros.

jdrush
09-09-2016, 12:29 PM
BMR is your Basal metabolic rate. Meaning it's what you'll burn in a coma.

Find your TDEE and start from there.

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Most women maintain on 2000

Beyyerdave
09-09-2016, 12:41 PM
I kind of figured that I needed to eat more but man even at 2200 calories a day I feel over full all day. I have seen mass gainer products out there that have a pretty high calories per serving. Maybe I will just try going that route

juggernaut74ia
09-09-2016, 12:52 PM
If you were losing weight on 1800 calories a day, how do you figure that 2200 is a 500 calorie surplus? (2200-500 = 1700 maintenance, which is clearly not the case as you were losing on 1800).

Eat more. If you can't stomach a larger quantity of food, opt for more calorie dense foods (oils, nuts, etc) that pack a lot of calories into a small amount of bulk.

Onlyspoons
09-09-2016, 01:15 PM
2200 calories is not that far above what I maintain on. And I'm an 115lb woman. So yeah...you need to eat more.

If you are full eating what you are currently eating, you are probably eat a lot of lean protein and high fibre foods like veggies. Which is great for you but will fill you up. Choose fattier cuts of meat and add more fat to your food in general. Eat more tasty carbs, which you may have been limiting whilst trying to lose.

Elektrotechnek
09-09-2016, 01:38 PM
okay thanks srryyr

TomMutaffis
09-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Hello, I am looking for some insight on a diet plan that will help me build more muscle mass. About 200 days ago I wighed about 215 lbs and was waaaay out of shape. I went on a very strict diet and workout plan and have cut my weight all the way down to a lean 161. During this period I was taking in about 1800 calories a day and doing HIIT to help accelerate fat loss. Now I am trying to go the other direction and build lean muscle and I am finding it hard to keep weight on. I have upped my calories to about 2200 which I believe is a surplus of about 500 of my current BMR. Problem is that it doesn't seem to be enough and I continue to shed weight. I have even changed up my workout to heavy lifting and have cut out cardio completely. I also sneak in a high calorie cheat meal twice a weak like pizza or a burger and I am still struggling. It's frustrating because I put in a lot of time at the gym and want to start seeing the gains and muscle results and feel like I am just flatlining. Any suggestions?!?!

Have you tried eating before bed? If your goal is to remain aesthetic then you want to keep it low-carb, but it could help you to put on some size and sneak in some additional calories/protein.

EjnarKolinkar
09-10-2016, 07:22 AM
Now I am trying to go the other direction and build lean muscle and I am finding it hard to keep weight on. I have upped my calories to about 2200 which I believe is a surplus of about 500 of my current BMR. Problem is that it doesn't seem to be enough and I continue to shed weight. I have even changed up my workout to heavy lifting and have cut out cardio completely. I also sneak in a high calorie cheat meal twice a weak like pizza or a burger and I am still struggling.

Should be pretty obvious you need to consider bumping up your daily calorie levels. You also need to look at how long you have been eating more, as in not bump up calories daily looking for the scale to move but take a measured approach.

I kind of figured that I needed to eat more but man even at 2200 calories a day I feel over full all day.

You manage on your "cheat days" somehow? Why do you think that is?

That won't last, the excessive fullness. You spent a long time eating much less and you became accustomed to it. You will become accustomed to eating more. You need to be just a little patient with yourself. Patience is needed when you make big changes in your life. Knowing what to do, and becomming accustomed to doing it without thinking about it takes consistency and practice.

Just don;t get too upset, take some action, wait a few weeks, see how thing go. It's good you started weight training OP.

smokinal
09-11-2016, 07:08 AM
As started above, the short of it is, if you're weight is not going up, you need to eat more cals. Watch some of these "Big on a budget" vids. They give great ideas on high cal, high protein foods. Just to add more ideas to your diet to make it easier to hit some macros.
-8pC1l_FegM