PDA

View Full Version : Cooking like a Bodybuilder

Smmack
08-22-2016, 03:06 PM
I have always just eaten whatever I find in the fridge never really thought about it.
Some of you guys have told me that you have methods of cooking to:
- Get the week's cooking done in a day
- Get the right macros for each meal
- Not spend hours frying each chicken breast one by one
- Not fill your fridge to overflowing

Not understanding this concept it is my idea that you have to write down the macros for everything you will eat in the week, snacks, fruit, mains, seasoning, sauces for the mains, ect...
And by method of cancellation create meals from what foods fit best with your calorie count. If you eat something not planned you have to work out the macros of it before the day ends.
I'm sure this isn't the case as it seems insane to me but that's the way it seemed to come from some people and I am aware that some movie stars do actually do this. But what does a normal soon-to-be student do?
Anyone kind enough to explain their routine/method? Do you freeze some of the food? What do you freeze? Should you get bulk bags of frozen chicken/veg ect...? I have a lot of questionsso you can't go too basic or in depth.

Thanks

gbullock32
08-22-2016, 03:11 PM
It's easy, you know your macro needs for the day so just eat what you like and track the macros for it. You do not need to pre-plan (it can help to an extent) but just know you need X amount of calories/protein/fat so just eat to reach those needs every day.

lmcfreekz
08-22-2016, 10:25 PM
1. Some people, particularly those that are trying to lose weight, do spend a Sunday prepping meals for the week... personally, I don't when I'm cutting and I don't when I'm bulking... I guess it's a preference thing but for some people if they don't prep, then they fall back into not being bothered and eating whatever is convenient...

2. Macros for each meal. There's only a finite list of things that I'll buy if I'm cooking... I'll buy the same brown rice each week, the same brand of yoghurt, milk, peanut butter... have a few staple vegetables and fruit... I spent a bit of time (think 15 minutes) prepping a Google sheet with the key macros on (protein, fat, carbs) for those items... so for eggs I'd do by 1 egg... for apples 1 apple... then for rice, chicken, most veg etc I'll have the value for 100grams... then I'll copy and paste it into a second sheet with an occasional new add if I pick up a new bar of chocolate or something... very quickly you've got all your key ingredients with macros... then you'll realise there are certain dishes you'll prep often, so you just create a list of macros for that dish so then each time you have that dish rather than pulling together all the individual ingredients, you just copy and paste the dish macros... its a bit of organising and a bit of time invested, but it's nowhere near as much time as it sounds like it would be... and it gets a lot easier with time as you've pretty much got all your ingredients pegged...

Alternatively you could use a site like MyFitnessPal or FatSecret that have a lot of ingredients on there already, but a lot of the stuff is user inputted, they don't really have local brands for where I am and the accuracy can be all over the place...

I've gotten to a point where I pretty much know what it feels like in terms of how much rice, chicken, tuna, eggs, peanut butter etc I need to eat in the day since you sort of pick it up by habit and doing it repeatedly... some people prefer to stick to the tracker, and I'd go back to a tracker if for some reason I wasn't getting the desired results to recalibrate things...

3. Chicken breast takes about 5 minutes to fry... I put the pan on, add a little vegetable oil or olive oil... get it hot, then chop the chicken breast into small-ish pieces over the pan with a pair of kitchen scissors...

Alternatively, you could poach it which would require boiling water into a pot, then dropping your chicken breast into the pot and leaving them to poach (think cooking in the hot water) for about 30 - 40 minutes... more time consuming but great if you want to make batches of shredded chicken to throw onto a sandwich or into a salad... you've also got the option of baking which means throw them in the oven and leave them for about 20 - 25 minutes...

4. Unless you've got a mini-bar for a fridge, then you should be good... obviously the bigger it is the more option it gives you for cooking up batches of stuff and then reheating, but it isn't necessary.

5. If you're lazy, then there's lots you can batch cook... you cook a crapload of rice, separate it into whatever size portions and then freeze it... chicken you can do the same, although I only ever refrigerate for about 4 days if I make a good amount of shredded chicken from poaching... fruit I can grab and go... veg, I'll try and get things I can do with minimal cooking... I also buy a lot of frozen peas that I can toss into the same pan that I'm frying chicken in or into the rice cooker with the rice I'm cooking up (admittedly leading to a mixed rice and peas rather than having them as individual components...

You've got lots of options...

desslok
08-23-2016, 12:55 AM
Personally I just cook a bunch of meat on sunday, be it ground beef, chicken, whatever. And then add that to make meals throughout the week. One day I may have bbq chicken with potatoes, next i might make chicken tacos, next i may have chicken ceasar salad, etc. i just focus on getting the protein in and the rest naturally follows.