PDA

View Full Version : Supps to help son put on weight

smokinal
08-13-2016, 12:54 PM
My 16 yr old is very thin with a metaboloism on screech all day long. He gets shakey and headaches from low blood sugar levels often because he just can't eat enough. We have seen a nutritionist who just says "eat more"... but it's not that easy. He's kind of picky as far as what he likes and he's getting sick of the same old things. So I'm wondering about a caloric or carb supplement that could be added to a smoothie or his every day meals to increase cals/carbs. I would prefer it be tasteless so it could be added to many different things without changing the overall flavor.
One nutritionist mentioned this:
http://www.myduocal.com/

Anyone used that before? Thoughts? Any others you have tried?

https://www.nowfoods.com/sports-nutrition/carbo-gain-powder ??

Thanks for any help!

TheGaucho
08-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Height and weight?

Heisman2
08-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Have you talked to his pediatrician about being referred to a child/adolescent psychologist to discuss feeding behaviors? Psychologists can at times work magic.

smokinal
08-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Height and weight? 5-11 @ 130

Have you talked to his pediatrician about being referred to a child/adolescent psychologist to discuss feeding behaviors? Psychologists can at times work magic.
Thank you ; I have thought about it but he really enjoys eating so I don't hink it's an eating disorder or something like that. He loves steak and mashed potatoes, his favorite. But he eats till he's full and, literally, hungry again in an hour. You can only eat so much steak and potatoes before you're sick of it. He'll eat a large italian from Subway and be hungry in an hour again. I guess I need more ideas for foods so he won't get tired of it. I just thought a supp like those above would be an easy think to add to Gatorade even and get some more carbs in him.

gbullock32
08-13-2016, 01:20 PM
Peanut butter, chocolate milk, blender: few of those a day is hard to ever get tired of but very calorie dense.

Heisman2
08-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Thank you ; I have thought about it but he really enjoys eating so I don't hink it's an eating disorder or something like that. He loves steak and mashed potatoes, his favorite. But he eats till he's full and, literally, hungry again in an hour. You can only eat so much steak and potatoes before you're sick of it. He'll eat a large italian from Subway and be hungry in an hour again. I guess I need more ideas for foods so he won't get tired of it. I just thought a supp like those above would be an easy think to add to Gatorade even and get some more carbs in him.

I actually wasn't thinking of an eating disorder. For example, we have feeding clinics for typically younger kids who are picky eaters where the kid will be assessed by a developmental pediatrician, speech therapist, nutritionist, and child psychologist, and then the team will discuss recommendations and typically multiple behavioral strategies to give to the parents to try at home (unless the case is so severe that the patient will need an intensive feeding program, which would be done at a medical facility of some sort).

At 16, I doubt all that would be necessary, but still talking to a child psychologist just to go over other ideas for incorporating more foods could be useful.

StillbornSoul
08-13-2016, 01:40 PM
Peanut butter garlic bread spaghetti potatoes.

If this still doesn't do the trick, a 44oz coke slurpee a day keeps the abs away.

OT2000
08-13-2016, 01:53 PM
Just do a liquid shake that's calorie dense that he will like. Milk, honey, oats, peanut butter, chocolate syrup, Greek yogurt etc etc try to experiment. You could get 1k calories easily in whole foods blended.

desslok
08-13-2016, 04:24 PM
2nd the shake idea. So many varieties. When I was his age I bought tubs of vanilla ice cream and jello pudding packets. When I got tired of vanilla shakes , or PB and chocolate shakes I would make butterescotch, chocolate fudge, or whatever else flavors of pudding mix i had.

ErikTheElectric
08-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Peanut butter OR homemade shakes.

FD1997
08-14-2016, 12:24 AM
700ml of milk , 2 spoons of peanut butter , 1-2 large bananas and 30g of cashews is over 1000 calories. I tried this once as a cheat meal.