PDA

View Full Version : calorie advice?

NiallMurrayy
08-02-2016, 09:43 AM
Hi, im 5'10 and last time i weighed myself (last month) i was exactly 11 stone (70kg) at first i was skinny fat and went down the route of losing body fat to get my abs through, i accomplished that to some extent but now i want to bulk. Ive been doing this lowly since the end of may.
I wanted to speed things up since im going to uni soonish and my friend advised i go on a weight gainer and after some consideration and research i agreed. Normally id say i consumed around 2000 calories a day and these weigh gainer shakes contain 945 calories per shake and the bag says 2-3 servings so im having one in the morning and one after a workout. They fill me up for quite a while and i believe im consuming 3000-4000 calories a day.
Im just wondering is this the right amount of calories for a bulk for someone of my size etc and if not what is and are their any tips anyone can offer, thankyou in advance.

dipatel13
08-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Weight gainer shakes like that are a waste of money and usually not necessary.

In regards to your calories, do you know your TDEE? Arbitrarily eating 3k-4k cals isn't a good idea. You need to eat in a controlled surplus and aim to gain 2-3lbs per month.

Read the stickies to figure out your calorie needs.

NiallMurrayy
08-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Weight gainer shakes like that are a waste of money and usually not necessary.

In regards to your calories, do you know your TDEE? Arbitrarily eating 3k-4k cals isn't a good idea. You need to eat in a controlled surplus and aim to gain 2-3lbs per month.

Read the stickies to figure out your calorie needs.
Im not sure what TDEE means? Sorry and how may calories a day would you recommend?

DougyF7
08-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Im not sure what TDEE means? Sorry and how may calories a day would you recommend?

Read the stickies and you'll know...Calculating Calories and Macronutrients (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183)

skill75
08-02-2016, 06:10 PM
Hi, im 5'10 and last time i weighed myself (last month) i was exactly 11 stone (70kg) at first i was skinny fat and went down the route of losing body fat to get my abs through, i accomplished that to some extent but now i want to bulk. Ive been doing this lowly since the end of may.
I wanted to speed things up since im going to uni soonish and my friend advised i go on a weight gainer and after some consideration and research i agreed. Normally id say i consumed around 2000 calories a day and these weigh gainer shakes contain 945 calories per shake and the bag says 2-3 servings so im having one in the morning and one after a workout. They fill me up for quite a while and i believe im consuming 3000-4000 calories a day.
Im just wondering is this the right amount of calories for a bulk for someone of my size etc and if not what is and are their any tips anyone can offer, thankyou in advance.

There are formulas which allow you to calculate your total daily energy expenditure (eg. Harris-Benedict equation) to see how much calories you use up in one day. From there, you can get an idea how much extra calories to consume to gain weight.