PDA

View Full Version : Fat or Lean Mass?

mstoochn
07-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Throughout my teen years I pushed myself to gain mass but never could, a mix of different work out routines from trainers and diet, even flooding my body with 5K+ calories.. I could never gain an ounce. I've been 5'10" 125lbs from ages 18-25. On my 26th birthday I'd gotten fed up with the criticism and started compiling how I plan to prove this hardgainer crap wrong..

Since Dec 2015 I've been going hard in the gym, 3 on 1 off (Push, Pull, Accessory+Leg), 45-60 minute intense workouts with ~60-90 sec rest periods a mix of 6-8 and 8-12 rep ranged depending on the work out, every set is to failure. I am dominant fast twitch. I eat just over 3K calories, ~200g protein, > 80g fat more or less.. the odd day I pig out, I wont lie.. usually a rest day.

In 7 months I've put on 20 pounds according to the scale (weighing empty stomach in the A.M) but I really don't look bigger nor am I really able to push much more weight in the gym (most of my exercises have only gone up 10-15 lbs in that period). I tried a similar approach when I was young and got no where, I am worried I'm just packing on fat and not really getting anywhere.. where did these 20 lbs go?!

z1blast
07-22-2016, 09:45 AM
Throughout my teen years I pushed myself to gain mass but never could, a mix of different work out routines from trainers and diet, even flooding my body with 5K+ calories.. I could never gain an ounce. I've been 5'10" 125lbs from ages 18-25. On my 26th birthday I'd gotten fed up with the criticism and started compiling how I plan to prove this hardgainer crap wrong..

Since Dec 2015 I've been going hard in the gym, 3 on 1 off (Push, Pull, Accessory+Leg), 45-60 minute intense workouts with ~60-90 sec rest periods a mix of 6-8 and 8-12 rep ranged depending on the work out, every set is to failure. I am dominant fast twitch. I eat just over 3K calories, ~200g protein, > 80g fat more or less.. the odd day I pig out, I wont lie.. usually a rest day.

In 7 months I've put on 20 pounds according to the scale (weighing empty stomach in the A.M) but I really don't look bigger nor am I really able to push much more weight in the gym (most of my exercises have only gone up 10-15 lbs in that period). I tried a similar approach when I was young and got no where, I am worried I'm just packing on fat and not really getting anywhere.. where did these 20 lbs go?!

Im not even sure if your telling the truth with out a pic bro, but w/e. you look at your self everyday in the mirror, so over a 7 month period 20 pounds can go unnoticed. Atleast to you it can, 5'9 146lbs is still small and I assume your shooting for huge.

Dont be so critical, your more dedicated then 98% of the normal people out there, you have a high metabolism and your just a naturally small guy from the sounds of it. post a pic and a detailed list of your exercise routine.

mstoochn
07-22-2016, 05:07 PM
I'll snap a few a shot shortly, I would like to add I work an active job so I don't do any cardio after my workout. The reason for some of my exercises is due to limitations on equipment available to me. I know based on my genetics and measurements my maximum natural potential with a 8-10% BF is ~190 lbs, my goal is 165-170. This has been my routine since May:

Day 1
Dumbbell Bench 3x 8-10 (45's)
Incline Dumbbell Bench 3x 8-10 (35's)
Single arm cable 3d chest fly 3x Per Arm 10-12 (40)
Weighted Dips 3x 8-10 (BW + 45)
Lying Barbell tricep extensions w/ ez curl 3x 10-12 (40)
Tricep pulldown cable 3x 8-10 (45)

Day 2
Bent-over barbell rows 3x 8-10 (90)
Lat pull down 3x 8-10 (135)
Single arm dumbbell row 3x 8-12 (45)
Close grip barbell curl w/ ez curl 3x 8-12 (50)
Incline dumbbell curl @ 60* 3x 8-12 (20's)
Concentration curls 3x10-12 (20)

Day 3
Squats 3x 8-10 (185)
Calf raises 3x 10-12 (225)
Seated overhead press 3x 8-10 (75)
Cable face pulls 3x 8-12 (45)
Lateral raises 3x 10-12 (15's)
Shrugs 3x 10-12 (50's)

Day 4 - Rest

Repeat.

z1blast
07-23-2016, 12:13 PM
I was 150-5lbs untill my mid twenty's, then I shot up to 170-5lbs and im 5'10. So I know how you feel, you have a good lean build and low body fat, you just have a small frame. You could eat 5000cals and 500g of protein a day it would not make a difference, your body is just going to burn it up and crap it out.

Stop pigging out on your days off, keep disciplined. No sodas or fatty horrible crap, keep it high protein, complex carbs and water only, maybe some juice but keep it moderate. Mix your exercise routine up, keep your body guessing. Make sure to consistently move your exercise weight up, even if its only 2.5lbs at a time it helps. Incorporate some cardio in either before or after your workout every other day, cardio is essential in burning off the extra fat to show what you have worked so hard for.

Also I suggest you incorporate some body weight and core excercises, push ups, pull ups, planks etc... and you need to work in some abdominal routines. Try intensifying your routine, when you work your way through your normal 3x10, pyramid your way back down through the routine, this gets your body more used to the weight. So you can move up quicker to higher weight, more weight=more muscle your body has no choice but to grow to handle the weight.

mstoochn
07-23-2016, 12:51 PM
I generally only drink water / protein shakes. My morning meal includes orange juice with creatine. I will occasionally drink Milk but not a lot.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say pyramid

z1blast
07-24-2016, 11:17 AM
I generally only drink water / protein shakes. My morning meal includes orange juice with creatine. I will occasionally drink Milk but not a lot.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say pyramid

Just google pyramid bench press or search for it on bb.com

me personally if I have enough energy left, I will reverse back through my pyramid set from heavy to light weight.

mstoochn
07-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Just google pyramid bench press or search for it on bb.com

me personally if I have enough energy left, I will reverse back through my pyramid set from heavy to light weight.

This has been my approach thus far to some extent, my workout above gave ranged. Example 8-12 meaning each set to failure usually entailing reduced reps with each set so 12, 10, 8 in some cases.