PDA

View Full Version : Cop who paralyzed an Indian grandfather has charges dropped

randombrah102
07-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Remember that story a year a and a half ago?

Old Indian guy comes to America to visit his grandson, doesn't really speak a lot of english. He goes for a walk in the middle of the day in the neighborhood, gets the cops called on him. Cops come and decide a fragile old brown man is a threat and throw him face first into the pavement when he was just standing there doing literally nothing. He ends up being partially paralyzed from this assault.

Vid of assault

Y_SSGa7-6BQ

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/12/us/alabama-police-beating/

]Months of physical therapy are ahead for Patel, who can now move his hands, but can't grasp anything, WHNT reported. Chirag Patel said his father can move his right leg but not his left

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150212063931-pkg-al-indian-man-allegedly-beaten-by-police-00002924-large-169.jpg

And now all criminal charges get dropped against the cop

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/assault-charges-dropped-alabama-cop-who-partially-paralyzed-indian-grandfather-n573806

So this fine officer gets to go back to work after enjoying a nice paid vacation

I am sure he learned his lesson

ClutchAnalyst
07-19-2016, 09:38 AM
what a surprise

chaunce54
07-19-2016, 09:40 AM
I'm guessing no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case.

Aesthetical
07-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Religion of piss

Whoopsie

Blue lives matter

chibb1122
07-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Scum bag cop should be behind bars, fuk him.

jacklambert58
07-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Frankly, its the lack of punishment for bad cops (if not jail, at least firings) that gives BLM the slightest leg to stand on and creates the pressure cooker waiting to explode.

SaltyDog920
07-19-2016, 09:55 AM
Pissening. Absolutely pissening. I defend police because I use reason and can logically understand the overwhelming majority are great people. However, that doesn't cloud my judgement and I realize there are some sociopaths that hide behind the badge. This clown needs to be in prison.

Where I take issue with you is when you point out skin color. People like you love to stoke the flames of a race war while ignoring the fact that most police that do the brutalizing are doing it because they are on a power trip. Why did you choose to make it a point that this guy was brown? Why are you cherry picking that video and ignoring this one:

0lfJ5WSpiWA

And why didn't you post this video and point out the skin color where cop is black and the woman is latino:

zsown6RQ5L0

It's about power for these brutal police officers; not about skin color so shut the phuck up about it.

JUSA
07-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Frankly, its the lack of punishment for bad cops (if not jail, at least firings) that gives BLM the slightest leg to stand on and creates the pressure cooker waiting to explode. A shame they seem to pick some of the worst examples to latch onto, honestly I don't normally give much credence to conspiracies, but it wouldn't surprise me if Soros, who is backing it and calling the shots, purposely has them single out the lame cases with a diddunuffin thug playing stupid games. Just to stir up controversy, probably.

There are plenty of examples like the one here where a cop way overstepped their authority or outright broke the law and deserve punishment but walk. I can't think of ONE, however, that the #BLM protesters have made it an issue.

You know, thinking about it, I really do think that the point of #BLM isn't to make anyone lives better - at least not for Soros. I've noticed tons of hostility of the useful idiot types who whine about it on facebook, where they blabber about saying, "All Lives Matter" being racist and just stupid **** which isn't designed to do anything but make people argue and fight. If they ****ing cared about black lives, you'd think they'd be smarter about it.

randombrah102
07-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Pissening. Absolutely pissening. I defend police because I use reason and can logically understand the overwhelming majority are great people. However, that doesn't cloud my judgement and I realize there are some sociopaths that hide behind the badge. This clown needs to be in prison.

Where I take issue with you is when you point out skin color. People like you love to stoke the flames of a race war while ignoring the fact that most police that do the brutalizing are doing it because they are on a power trip. Why did you choose to make it a point that this guy was brown? Why are you cherry picking that video and ignoring this one:

0lfJ5WSpiWA

And why didn't you post this video and point out the skin color where cop is black and the woman is latino:

zsown6RQ5L0

It's about power for these brutal police officers; not about skin color so shut the phuck up about it.

I am not cherry picking skin color, this was just something I remember watching unfold when it happened and today the news came out that assault charges were dropped against the cop.

If you wanna give us the story about those 2 vids and what ended up happening to the cops in them then you can go right ahead.

jacklambert58
07-19-2016, 10:05 AM
A shame they seem to pick some of the worst examples to latch onto, honestly I don't normally give much credence to conspiracies, but it wouldn't surprise me if Soros, who is backing it and calling the shots, purposely has them single out the lame cases with a diddunuffin thug playing stupid games. Just to stir up controversy, probably.

There are plenty of examples like the one here where a cop way overstepped their authority or outright broke the law and deserve punishment but walk. I can't think of ONE, however, that the #BLM protesters have made it an issue.

Totally agree - that "hands up, don't shoot" farce was a total joke of a credibility killer.

PerfectCelltech
07-19-2016, 10:05 AM
This is disgusting, dirty cops and prosecutors are in bed with each other so of course police brutality is gonna keep happening, nothing to hold them accountable. Justice system of piss.

JUSA
07-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Totally agree - that "hands up, don't shoot" farce was a total joke of a credibility killer. For you, because, despite our ideological differences, you're reasonably reasonable and intelligent. For the lemmings? That **** did a great job of riling them up.

PerfectCelltech
07-19-2016, 10:09 AM

0lfJ5WSpiWA

zsown6RQ5L0

My problem is even the good ones, they know these things happen but its a good ol' boys club where you have to keep quiet & turn a blind eye or be ostracized, like a gang.

It's also not very hard to believe that cops discriminate and prejudge based on race, it 100% happens.

jro9999
07-19-2016, 10:19 AM
My problem is even the good ones, they know these things happen but its a good ol' boys club where you have to keep quiet & turn a blind eye or be ostracized, like a gang.

It's also not very hard to believe that cops discriminate and prejudge based on race, it 100% happens.

That's why I always laugh when cops or cop apologists say "it's just a few bad apples"

What they don't realize is that the saying is "a few bad apples.... spoils the whole bunch"

I'm sure there are a lot of great police officers and I know some good cops around where I live. But these good cops don't do **** about the bad ones and the blue line is the reason for that. Unless the officer is a complete piece of **** that no one in the department likes and he makes a big enough mistake, anyone speaking out publicly against him is gonna get ostracized for rocking the boat. You just don't rat on fellow officers and everyone knows that.

jacklambert58
07-19-2016, 10:57 AM
That's why I always laugh when cops or cop apologists say "it's just a few bad apples"

What they don't realize is that the saying is "a few bad apples.... spoils the whole bunch"

I'm sure there are a lot of great police officers and I know some good cops around where I live. But these good cops don't do **** about the bad ones and the blue line is the reason for that. Unless the officer is a complete piece of **** that no one in the department likes and he makes a big enough mistake, anyone speaking out publicly against him is gonna get ostracized for rocking the boat. You just don't rat on fellow officers and everyone knows that.

But I think you're missing the larger point: even when there is video evidence, cops go unpunished - this is what is causing the rage & not that people don't know what happened due to cover ups.

JUSA
07-19-2016, 11:22 AM
I can't wait until martial law kicks off so I can skin these pigs piece by piece One, you don't seem to understand the concept or idea of martial law. You seem to think of it as a lawless situation where anything goes, when in reality, what it would be would be one where the authority forces would exercise their ample power and rioting dip****s, such as yourself, would be culled from the herd almost instantly - which is actually an assumption that gives you far more credit than you deserve, as it assumes you might actually attempt to make good on your tough talk, instead of running, hiding and wetting yourself, which is surely what would actually happen.

The true number of "pigs" you should skin piece by piece? Zero. Either you're whimpering in a pool of your own urine (most likely scenario) or you were instantly taken out in a hail of gunfire. Either way, you're not skinning anyone, pal.

Seeing videos of cops clearly abusing their power over the weak is upsetting, however. Like I was saying earlier, I just with the movement to bring attention to this wasn't so bumble-**** backwards, generally making themselves out as annoyances or even dangerous while highlighting cases where cops typically seemed to be acting in reasonable ways.

jro9999
07-19-2016, 11:30 AM
But I think you're missing the larger point: even when there is video evidence, cops go unpunished - this is what is causing the rage & not that people don't know what happened due to cover ups.

I think that's a separate problem altogether. That falls squarely on prosecutors/judges/DA/unions

What I was referring to is the mentality in departments which prevents cops from speaking out against one another. Its just something you don't do. You don't throw another cop under the bus, especially not publicly.

Look at what happened to Michael A Wood, a US Marine and former Baltimore PD Sergeant, who spoke out against all the corruption and problems with law enforcement. If you're a cop and you blow the whistle on other cops you're labeled a traitor or a rat.

chibb1122
07-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Mr. Patel's attorney said it best, "This decision illustrates how difficult it is to hold law enforcement officers accountable under the criminal laws for brutal acts that would send an ordinary citizen to jail."

SaltyDog920
07-19-2016, 11:38 AM

Just because you're speaking in hyperbole doesn't make your statement correct. No, a few bad cops do not spoil the whole bunch. The media spoils the whole bunch with their false narrative of innocent blacks being killed by police on a daily basis.

But that's where the problem begins. Your definition of innocent is different than mine. You more than likely think Alton was an innocent victim. You, just like the media, probably go around parroting that he was killed for selling cd's. Clearly that's just an intellectually dishonest statement which helps fuel the anger of people towards police. The media (and more than likely an intellectual dishonest person like you) chooses to ignore the fact that he was threatening to kill people with his gun and then chose to wrestle and resist arrest with the police while carrying that gun. That's not innocence. That's also not being killed for selling cd's.

jro9999
07-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Just because you're speaking in hyperbole doesn't make your statement correct. No, a few bad cops do not spoil the whole bunch.

A) That's not hyperbole, its a proverb

B) If "good" cops don't condemn "bad" cops then yes it can spoil the bunch as a whole. That's what gives way to corruption and injustice. "Good" cops should have no problems with the "bad" ones being punished and held accountable when they make mistakes. If "good" cops back and support the "bad" ones for the sake of The Blue Line, The Blue Code, or whatever you want to call it then they're not "good" either.

But that's where the problem begins. Your definition of innocent is different than mine. You more than likely think Alton was an innocent victim. You, just like the media, probably go around parroting that he was killed for selling cd's. Clearly that's just an intellectually dishonest statement which helps fuel the anger of people towards police. The media (and more than likely an intellectual dishonest person like you) chooses to ignore the fact that he was threatening to kill people with his gun and then chose to wrestle and resist arrest with the police while carrying that gun. That's not innocence. That's also not being killed for selling cd's.

Ok so what you just did was invent an argument out of thin air (that I think Alton was innocent) and then argued against that. Not only is it completely irrelevant to the thread and discussion but its not true and makes you look like an idiot for even trying.

Why do cop apologists always try to change the subject to something else? Are you a police officer yourself or do you just love the taste of their "salty" semen?

Mr. Patel's attorney said it best, "This decision illustrates how difficult it is to hold law enforcement officers accountable under the criminal laws for brutal acts that would send an ordinary citizen to jail."

Exactly

HoganIsGOAT
07-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Months of physical therapy are ahead for Patel, who can now move his hands, but can't grasp anything, WHNT reported

Oh, I think he can grasp what to do next time the cops approach him.

US_Ranger
07-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Apparently the police chief was fined 2,500 dollars and held in contempt for being pissed off and questioning the witnesses (other police officers) about why they backed this ****bag who practiced MMA on an old Indian dude. So the only one who gets punished is the chief who wants to do the right thing. Just fcking lol.

Also, in before Dhawkeye challenges someone in this thread to a fight and tells everyone how much money he makes guarding the mall while saying this police officer was a hero.

YesWayNoWeigh
07-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Lol wtf. Nobody even said it was about his skin color. You're more upset at the title than the story apparently.

0lfJ5WSpiWA

zsown6RQ5L0

YesWayNoWeigh
07-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Oh, I think he can grasp what to do next time the cops approach him.lol classy

NYPat
07-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Oh, I think he can grasp what to do next time the cops approach him.

You're an idiot.

Also, in before Dhawkeye challenges someone in this thread to a fight and tells everyone how much money he makes guarding the mall while saying this police officer was a hero.

Lmao

ZenBowman
07-19-2016, 12:34 PM

Exactly.

Police brutality is a serious issue, and raising that point does not mean you "hate cops".

The issue isn't about whether cops are "bad" or "good".

The question is, do we believe the system holds those officers that do bad, however small a minority they may be, accountable for their actions?

Tsudo
07-19-2016, 12:38 PM
"He doesn't speak a lick of english..."

"I dunno what his problem is..."

ND32
07-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Exactly.

Police brutality is a serious issue, and raising that point does not mean you "hate cops".

The issue isn't about whether cops are "bad" or "good".

The question is, do we believe the system holds those officers that do bad, however small a minority they may be, accountable for their actions?

That's a fair question. Are there statistics to show how police are prosecuted (convicted) for crimes versus citizens?

ZenBowman
07-19-2016, 02:49 PM
That's a fair question. Are there statistics to show how police are prosecuted (convicted) for crimes versus citizens?

Not sure on the stats, but on the face of it, it seems unfair.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30339943

I don't think this is a racial issue as much as it is an issue about abuse of power. That doesn't mean that 99% of cops are not selfless and brave individuals, its just very hard to nail them when they do perform a criminal act.

jro9999
07-19-2016, 03:03 PM

How would you measure prosecutors not charging cops though?

That's a big conflict of interest in a lot of these high profile shootings/brutality cases, is the lack of charges laid out against an officer.

There was a story last year of an off-duty cop in plain clothes in Massachusetts involved in a road rage incident where he pulled his gun out, pointed it at another driver, ran into the middle of the street in front of the driver, and said he's gonna "blow a fukkin hole" in the driver's head. The entire incident was caught by the driver's dash cam. The cop resigned 2 days before his disciplinary hearing after 2 months of paid administrative leave and he still gets to collect his pension.

A civilian or non-officer would never get that type of leniancy for the same crime.

US_Ranger
07-19-2016, 03:16 PM

That's a big conflict of interest in a lot of these high profile shootings/brutality cases, is the lack of charges laid out against an officer.

There was a story last year of an off-duty cop in plain clothes in Massachusetts involved in a road rage incident where he pulled his gun out, pointed it at another driver, ran into the middle of the street in front of the driver, and said he's gonna "blow a fukkin hole" in the driver's head. The entire incident was caught by the driver's dash cam. The cop resigned 2 days before his disciplinary hearing after 2 months of paid administrative leave and he still gets to collect his pension.

A civilian or non-officer would never get that type of leniancy for the same crime.

Ha. I remember that video. The guy accidentally turned down a one way street or something and then this guy jumps in front of his vehicle with his gun out saying he was going to kill him. Driver full on reversed-out of the place and then the off-duty cop is upset that he didn't know he was a cop...after threatening to kill him. Lol.

Didn't know the guy is collecting pension. Go figure.

jro9999
07-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Ha. I remember that video. The guy accidentally turned down a one way street or something and then this guy jumps in front of his vehicle with his gun out saying he was going to kill him. Driver full on reversed-out of the place and then the off-duty cop is upset that he didn't know he was a cop...after threatening to kill him. Lol.

Didn't know the guy is collecting pension. Go figure.

Yup, that's the one. Driver accidentally made a left turn through a roundabout instead of going right and going around the rotary.

That whole situation was fukked. That cop outright lied over and over to the investigators. He actually told them he was afraid for his life, that the driver had purposely swerved at him and tried to run him off the road, and that he was nervous and scared throughout the incident.

Then the full video gets released and not only do you see the driver's car never even come close to the guy's truck but that he was the one who followed the driver for almost a mile after the roundabout before swerving in front of the driver, getting out of his car, pulling his gun out, and charging at the car.

If there was no dash cam video and that cop opened fire and shot the driver in the street all you would hear is that the driver swerved at the cop's truck and sped through intersections, then hero cop comes in and saves the day from a maniac on the streets who tried to run the off-duty officer in plain clothes over.

Makes me think about going on Amazon and picking up a dash cam for myself. That thing saved that driver's life

I believe the cop got like 75% of 50% pension after retirement. He was on the force for a long time but was 2-3 years short of receiving full-pension.

ClutchAnalyst
07-19-2016, 03:58 PM
im indian. ive been harassed by cops multiple times, and have been called a beaner and other cop slang for hispanic drug smugglers as well as terrorist.

i lol when i see cop apologists, they are just are retarded as the black lives matter group. a very significant amount of cops are racist, and if they arent racist, they are hooked on adrenaline like a crack fiend. brb almost broke my arm when getting arrested and i wasnt even resisting or talking.

brb uncle's convenient store gets robbed 3 fukin times and they show up an hour after. cops can suck a dick. yes im generalizing but i really dont give a fuk.

jacklambert58
07-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Indian Lives Matter

ND32
07-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Not sure on the stats, but on the face of it, it seems unfair.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30339943

I don't think this is a racial issue as much as it is an issue about abuse of power. That doesn't mean that 99% of cops are not selfless and brave individuals, its just very hard to nail them when they do perform a criminal act.

If you're talking about convictions, then yes I see the difficulty. At this point in time charging officers doesn't seem to be an issue.

ND32
07-19-2016, 04:35 PM
im indian. ive been harassed by cops multiple times, and have been called a beaner and other cop slang for hispanic drug smugglers as well as terrorist.

i lol when i see cop apologists, they are just are retarded as the black lives matter group. a very significant amount of cops are racist, and if they arent racist, they are hooked on adrenaline like a crack fiend. brb almost broke my arm when getting arrested and i wasnt even resisting or talking.

brb uncle's convenient store gets robbed 3 fukin times and they show up an hour after. cops can suck a dick. yes im generalizing but i really dont give a fuk.

Can't fault you for the great self awareness

ClutchAnalyst
07-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Can't fault you for the great self awareness

generalizing or not, its still a rampant problem. i just brought it up before some other moron goes "but omg not all are bad bwehehehehe" like a retard

ND32
07-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Rampant is subjective

ClutchAnalyst
07-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Rampant is subjective

if that makes you feel better

Dave22reborn
07-19-2016, 05:36 PM

Many times we don't know. We know which ones are lazy, we know about the hard chargers. But it's not like the dirty ones are bragging about being dirty. There's always the rumors, but that's not enough.

Dave22reborn
07-19-2016, 05:39 PM

Is your uncle's convenient store in the ghetto?

US_Ranger
07-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Many times we don't know. We know which ones are lazy, we know about the hard chargers. But it's not like the dirty ones are bragging about being dirty. There's always the rumors, but that's not enough.

How long does someone have to be in before the union starts protecting them even if they're dirt bags?

Dave22reborn
07-19-2016, 06:38 PM
How long does someone have to be in before the union starts protecting them even if they're dirt bags?

Well, you're in the academy for 6 months, then a year on the streets till you're off of probation. So during that time you're an at will employee.

I can't find the news clip, but for example, there were two females in my academy class who were at a walgreens. One was with an actual Field Training Officer, the other one was with a police officer who was a week off of probation. There was a male creating a disturbance, and the FTO approached him to detain him, it turned into a struggle, and the male pulled out a gun.

Everyone but the FTO took off running, one of the females literally ran out the store, and across the street. I believe it turned into a sbooting, but the two females were fired, and I think the guy off his status was given 30 days.

ND32
07-19-2016, 06:44 PM

NC is a right to work state.

No unions

There's civil service which attaches after 1-year. All persons cited for termination go before a citizen review board.

My good friend actually had the citizens over turn our department's suggestion for termination. He said he didn't see something and was cited for termination.

MakeABanana
07-19-2016, 06:56 PM
Arounds cops, never relax.

jro9999
07-19-2016, 07:03 PM

Yeah but if you saw a "hard charger" roughing someone up already in cuffs are you going to file a complaint against him for brutality and back the guy getting arrested up if he complains?

I don't mean that to be an attack on you personally, just doesn't seem like many cops would and thinking about it it'd be hard for me to say I would either. Knowing it'd piss off my coworkers and put a target on my back for being untrustworthy

hublife
07-19-2016, 07:12 PM
African Americans and Cops have the exact same problem.

African Americans = Won't call police because don't want to be a rat and choose instead to tolerate neighbors selling drugs robbing etc... But then bitch about crime issues when 94% of homicides against people of color are done by people of color.

Cops = Won't rat out other officers because of "the thin blue line". We're a fraternity of brothers and even though I KNOW James is a racist POS who constantly is harassing people I'm not saying chit.

Both groups by in large are good people. Both groups have a retarded amount of "pride" and don't think they're responsible in any way shape or form for what is going on in their department/community etc...

Until both parties nut up they're going to keep having issues. Fuk around in a white neighborhood and see how fukking fast you get the police called on you. Fuk around and harass people at a bank and see how fukking quick your coworkers sell you down the river.

Cliffs:
Cops don't rat on bad cops
Blacks don't rat on bad blacks
Both have too much pride
Both need to stop thinking as a "group" because they become dumb

I realize this is counter intuitive as the foundation of both "communities" is loyalty to one another and that's how they survive their respective struggles. The problem is that at some point they're going to have to stop the group think bullchit and start thinking as individuals and holding one another accountable.

Dave22reborn
07-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Yeah but if you saw a "hard charger" roughing someone up already in cuffs are you going to file a complaint against him for brutality and back the guy getting arrested up if he complains?

I don't mean that to be an attack on you personally, just doesn't seem like many cops would and thinking about it it'd be hard for me to say I would either. Knowing it'd piss off my coworkers and put a target on my back for being untrustworthy

Never had that happen TBH. I've been around officers who were completely lazy though.
But with cameras all over the place, it's best just to admit you ****ed up if you actually ****ed up.

Mr Beer
07-19-2016, 07:45 PM

<snip>

I realize this is counter intuitive as the foundation of both "communities" is loyalty to one another and that's how they survive their respective struggles. The problem is that at some point they're going to have to stop the group think bullchit and start thinking as individuals and holding one another accountable.

Insightful post, reps.

Not enough of this kind of thing around here any more.

djfuzzy
07-19-2016, 08:01 PM

African Americans = Won't call police because don't want to be a rat and choose instead to tolerate neighbors selling drugs robbing etc... But then bitch about crime issues when 94% of homicides against people of color are done by people of color.

Cops = Won't rat out other officers because of "the thin blue line". We're a fraternity of brothers and even though I KNOW James is a racist POS who constantly is harassing people I'm not saying chit.

Both groups by in large are good people. Both groups have a retarded amount of "pride" and don't think they're responsible in any way shape or form for what is going on in their department/community etc...

Until both parties nut up they're going to keep having issues. Fuk around in a white neighborhood and see how fukking fast you get the police called on you. Fuk around and harass people at a bank and see how fukking quick your coworkers sell you down the river.

Cliffs:
Both have too much pride

I realize this is counter intuitive as the foundation of both "communities" is loyalty to one another and that's how they survive their respective struggles. The problem is that at some point they're going to have to stop the group think bullchit and start thinking as individuals and holding one another accountable.Bump.

Great post, man. On recharge.

Boxman
07-19-2016, 08:02 PM
Disgusting and even more outrageous that this piece of sh*t cop got off.

And people wonder why some people are cheering the shooting of cops. The cops aren't protecting the citizenry they're behaving like the very criminals they're so lazy about arresting. Citizens get victimized all the time by criminals and cops DGAF.

OnYourKneesPlz
07-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Frankly, its the lack of punishment for bad cops (if not jail, at least firings) that gives BLM the slightest leg to stand on and creates the pressure cooker waiting to explode.

When there's no reasonable doubt, they go to jail.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/08/us/south-carolina-slager-indictment-walter-scott/

A grand jury indicted former North Charleston, South Carolina, police officer Michael Slager on a murder charge in connection to the April shooting death.
Scott was shot by Slager in the back as he was running away. His death was recorded by a bystander, and the graphic footage sparked outrage and reignited a national conversation around race and policing.

Why do you support the murder of cops?

OnYourKneesPlz
07-19-2016, 08:11 PM

And people wonder why some people are cheering the shooting of cops. The cops aren't protecting the citizenry they're behaving like the very criminals they're so lazy about arresting. Citizens get victimized all the time by criminals and cops DGAF.

That cop definitely should have been charged. However I don't think race has anything to do with it, as using insanely excessive force is just something stupid cops do. He got off because cops protect cops.

EctoCanuck
07-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Up here in Canada we have 'Private Prosecution'.A private citizen can file charges directly with the court.No Cops,no DA's.A Judge sends out a Sheriff with a summons for the Cop to stand trial.

I assume you have something like that in the USA.

Epilerik
07-19-2016, 11:59 PM

0lfJ5WSpiWA

zsown6RQ5L0

I definitely think it's mostly power thing, however, I do think race can play a role sometimes, and I also think it's a lot more common than some people will admit. Especially the Blue Lives Matter crowd. This is due to two things. One, this job attracts those kinds of people and it's not that hard a job to get. Two, there's systems built in place where police like this can easily get away with this stuff.

Those systems being judges being more partial to take the cop than the defendant's side, public support that will excuse anything, and a culture among the police that includes always sticking by each other. Even if that means standing by as you see something messed up and not reporting it.

chaunce54
07-20-2016, 05:28 AM

The cops aren't prosecutors, they aren't attorneys and they aren't judges. The whole system has been corrupted. When you can watch the director of the FBI list all of Clinton's transgressions and then not recommend prosecution, how can you be surprised when cops get similar treatment? Based off of Comey's statements, it's a wonder anybody gets prosecuted ever, until you take into consideration that the average citizen doesn't get the same "benefit of the doubt" that the protected classes receive.

SaltyDog920
07-20-2016, 01:13 PM
A) That's not hyperbole, its a proverb

B) If "good" cops don't condemn "bad" cops then yes it can spoil the bunch as a whole. That's what gives way to corruption and injustice. "Good" cops should have no problems with the "bad" ones being punished and held accountable when they make mistakes. If "good" cops back and support the "bad" ones for the sake of The Blue Line, The Blue Code, or whatever you want to call it then they're not "good" either.

Ok so what you just did was invent an argument out of thin air (that I think Alton was innocent) and then argued against that. Not only is it completely irrelevant to the thread and discussion but its not true and makes you look like an idiot for even trying.

Why do cop apologists always try to change the subject to something else? Are you a police officer yourself or do you just love the taste of their "salty" semen?

Are you completely dense or stupid? It's not an invented argument. You made the comment how a few bad cops spoil the whole bunch and I said that's incorrect. I made the argument that the media are the ones that spoil the whole bunch. I followed that point up by citing an example which was the narrative of Alton as an innocent, cd selling victim thereby portraying the responding officers as murders.

I really wish I didn't have to play school teacher and hold your hand through this critical thinking counterpoint.

ND32
07-20-2016, 01:32 PM

Cliffs:
Both have too much pride

Are you in law enforcement?

As a cop who has worked in a poor black community for 7+ years this isn't accurate at all from my experience. Black people excessively call 911 for any and everything. I think this has to do more with class/education. It's typically the individuals I perceive to not possess the appropriate skills to solve problems on their own.

There is a small portion who are heavily involved in criminal activity and don't want police to intervene. They live by the streets. If they get shot they don't even want to press charges. They figure they'll go get revenge.

The worst group: black women. Now this is just my experience. I have no stats. But they use 911 as leverage against the men. They take out warrants quick and then forgive the guy and then the guy gets locked up on the warrants after the couple gets back together. There are DV situations where this happens multiple times.

We have body cams. We have policies against even using language to try and incite a person into any type of altercation. There is an anonymous system we can call. We've had many officers terminated for messing up.

ND32
07-20-2016, 01:34 PM
The cops aren't prosecutors, they aren't attorneys and they aren't judges. The whole system has been corrupted. When you can watch the director of the FBI list all of Clinton's transgressions and then not recommend prosecution, how can you be surprised when cops get similar treatment? Based off of Comey's statements, it's a wonder anybody gets prosecuted ever, until you take into consideration that the average citizen doesn't get the same "benefit of the doubt" that the protected classes receive.

Darren Wilson didn't get the benefit of the doubt
Randall Kerrick didn't get the benefit of the doubt
The officers who killed Alton Sterling aren't getting the benefit of the doubt

Dave22reborn
07-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Are you in law enforcement?

As a cop who has worked in a poor black community for 7+ years this isn't accurate at all from my experience. Black people excessively call 911 for any and everything. I think this has to do more with class/education. It's typically the individuals I perceive to not possess the appropriate skills to solve problems on their own.

There is a small portion who are heavily involved in criminal activity and don't want police to intervene. They live by the streets. If they get shot they don't even want to press charges. They figure they'll go get revenge.

The worst group: black women. Now this is just my experience. I have no stats. But they use 911 as leverage against the men. They take out warrants quick and then forgive the guy and then the guy gets locked up on the warrants after the couple gets back together. There are DV situations where this happens multiple times.

We have body cams. We have policies against even using language to try and incite a person into any type of altercation. There is an anonymous system we can call. We've had many officers terminated for messing up.

Exactly, had a black mother call us because her 12 year old son supposedly beat up by another group of 12 year olds, she then got pissed when we asked for details, and didn't round them up like the Gestapo. Like usual, she then called for a "white shirt." Who then had to explain to her why we couldn't just round up a group, as he would a child.

ND32
07-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Exactly, had a black mother call us because her 12 year old son supposedly beat up by another group of 12 year olds, she then got pissed when we asked for details, and didn't round them up like the Gestapo. Like usual, she then called for a "white shirt." Who then had to explain to her why we couldn't just round up a group, as he would a child.

Police are driven by the statistics. If there's an area with a high volume of crime there will be more resources sent that way. There are limited resources and it's hard to put a tangible result on proactive work in an area. Therefore resources are typically dispersed in a reactionary fashion.

For a crime to be reported you need a victim. A victim is a person who cooperates with police and files a report. If black people didn't "snitch" as one alluded to then you wouldn't have high crime stats in these black areas and you would see a reduction of resources targeted towards that area.

babel10
07-20-2016, 06:12 PM

The problem is nobody wants to step on anybody's toes. Judges and prosecutors are very reluctant to punish Officers, since being on the wrong side of a police union can be career suicide. This is also the case for Politicians. But, on the other hand police officers need the support of politicians and court officials to advance their careers and to get funding increases from time to time.

This is why Courts usually allow police officers to police themselves. It maintains the status quo.