PDA

View Full Version : How to get real virgin olive oil?

alexsearr
06-30-2016, 06:39 PM
There is extensive evidence supporting the efficacy of a mediterranean diet rich in olive oils for general health and reduced mortality. As many may be aware Olive oil is a central tenet of that diet. However, numerous examinations of almost all olive oil brands, even reputed "extra virgin" ones, have shown that they don't contain olive oil at all (fake olive oil is huge in Italy).

My question. Does anyone know how to get real olive oil? What is your source that it's real?

SOJA
06-30-2016, 07:00 PM
California Olive Ranch and Cobram Estate are safe bets. They've got a good track record and are randomly tested by university labs via store purchase.

ErikTheElectric
06-30-2016, 09:11 PM
I could insert some cheeky joke here, but SOJA is in the thread.

Anyways OP. I'd recommend to go with coconut oil ;)

SOJA
06-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Yes, Erik lubes up his butt cheeks with coconut oil. It helps him not rub them raw when riding......

a bike that is.

Edmoe
06-30-2016, 10:21 PM
try fresh olive or fresh avogado, it works well too.

Freiord
06-30-2016, 11:45 PM
I'm from Italy and basically the olive oil I find at the supermarkets is directly produced in Italy or it's a mix of oil that comes from the EU.

I always buy Carapelli Olive Oil which is around 7€/L, when the mix starts at 3,5€.

If you live in Italy and you want to be sure that you're getting real oil, I'd recommend to buy italian oil and not the mix.

alexsearr
07-01-2016, 02:50 AM
Thanks some helpful replies here. Am not in Italy though.