PDA

View Full Version : Blood work help

Maxx26
06-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Okay so a couple of days ago I went to the doc and got blood work done. Long story short, my BUN levels are slightly high at 23 (normal 6-20), my creatinine, serum levels are slightly high at 1.30 (normal .76-1.27), and my chloride, serum levels are slightly low at 96 (normal 97-108).

I did some research on the forums because I thought the BUN levels might have to do with protein/exercise and I see other people have had this problem. Is there anything to be concerned about?

What about the creatinine (high) and chloride (low) levels?

I do not take any supplements besides whey protein which I'm guessing might have some creatine in it. As well as the meat I eat daily (chicken). I get anywhere from 140g-180g of protein daily.

I was not fasting before the tests and I had just finished up at the gym (lifting)

Thanks a lot for the help fellas and gals

Maxx26
06-28-2016, 03:16 PM
Bump

mike33511
06-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Did you tell your doctor that you lift weights?

Lifting can make certain levels higher or lower than usual, and it may not mean anything other than you lift weights.

If you're really worried about it, take a week off and then get your blood work done again.

Maxx26
06-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Did you tell your doctor that you lift weights?

Lifting can make certain levels higher or lower than usual, and it may not mean anything other than you lift weights.

If you're really worried about it, take a week off and then get your blood work done again.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah he knows I lift weights and I play sports and such. And yeah I'm planning on taking a few days off and lowering my protein and doing it again.

Anyone else have any inuput?

Heisman2
06-28-2016, 05:37 PM
I am a doc. Hard to interpret chloride without knowing sodium and CO2, but generally we ignore it unless there are symptoms, and even then it is uncommonly indicative of an issue. It is barely low, which also is not much concern. Your BUN is barely elevated, not enough to concern me personally. Your creatinine is elevated, and that is significant potentially if it cannot be explained by your diet and/or exercise routine.

Since you plan to take a few days off, lower protein, and do it again, I would not stress about it now. Wait to see what the next test shows.

ErikTheElectric
06-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Consult with your doctor not an online forum. We do not know your body, he or she will.