PDA

View Full Version : Muscletech Platinum 100% Whey -- Spiked?!

mcsh
06-16-2016, 08:42 PM
I noticed something odd when news broke last month of the latest protein spiking lawsuit. See the following excerpt:

The Iovate lawsuit alleges that Iovate and its CEO Paul Gardiner were engaged in a scheme to defraud consumers as to the MuscleTech NitroTech, MuscleTech Phase8, MuscleTech Platinum 100% Whey, MuscleTech Platinum 100% Iso-Whey, Six Star Whey Protein Plus, Six Star Protein Shakes, Six Star Recovery Protein, Six Star Whey Isolate Plus, and EPIQ Isolate protein powders product's content, quality, characteristics, and/or ingredients, and caused and enabled consumers to purchase Iovate's products instead of Hi-Tech's NitroProŽ product.

We all knew about most, if not all, of the other products named in the suit as being spiked, but the Platinum line being included surprised me, considering there are no additional aminos listed in the ingredients panel.

This leaves me with questions:

1. Does Hi-Tech know something we don't? (plausible)
2. Did Iovate spike their Muscletech Platinum line of proteins powders withOUT disclosing the added aminos in the ingredients list?
3. If they're spiked, how badly?

Thoughts? Can anyone help shed some light on this?

eatyourspinach
06-17-2016, 04:10 AM
A bit more discussion on the lawsuit ITT http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171593803 but no new info about the MT proteins, the whole thing is was kept me from buying the lab series protein even though it's not on the list.

BlueRev
06-17-2016, 05:08 AM
I'll address this once. Just because someone try's to claim something in a suit does not make it true... our proteins are not spiked, purchase a tub from any store you'd like and if it's made by us it's not spiked. As the largest company we will get lawsuits from the little guys trying to claim all sorts of stuff, but that does not make it true. Especially if they have to make their own press release to let you know about it.
Remember when you are the top dog everyone is watching you... Your every move. All our products are tested, but I can't say that for the smaller guys who aren't being watched.

dknatural74
06-17-2016, 06:13 AM
I love(d) this protein....the strawberry with cottage cheese, and the peanut butter choc twist with oats! I used it during my last prep: shame if it is dirty!!!!!

forevertwink
06-17-2016, 07:22 AM
I got $150 from that lawsuit settlement....all that phase8 I bought on here that was bogo. Lol.

RVAPump
06-17-2016, 08:07 AM
methinks this won't be the "only time" you'll have to address this issue

TMac26
06-17-2016, 11:09 AM
I think "spiked" implies that they added amino acids that were not on the label.

They were on the label, but it was a legal loophole per FDA.

I hear "spiked" I think of **** and Jungle Warfare

snorkelman
06-17-2016, 11:11 AM
I'm no lawyer, so maybe you can explain it to me better...why would Iovate need to change the way it tests, labels, packages, and advertises its protein products if there were no issues with protein content as reported on the label?

The same new release you linked included this quote:

Iovate has not admitted to any wrongdoing but has agreed to the terms of this class action settlement to avoid the cost and risk of trial.

That is how cases settle. Unless the federal government is the plaintiff and refuses to accept a settlement that says that, it is very typical for a company to just settle, even if it involves changes, as the cost of continuing to litigate just isn't worth it.

You need to remember that the company being sued has to pay its own lawyers in order to defend the lawsuit. That can easily be tens of thousands of dollars to analyze the complaint, determine relevant affirmative defenses, file an Answer and possibly contemplate a motion to dismiss. If the case keeps moving along, then discovery will be more money. Even if the company pays to defend the case and it goes all the way to a trial, the company can spend over $100k and still could win or lose the case. It is often a business decision to settle to stop the bleeding.

VaughnTrue
06-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Hopefully the lawsuits Hi-Tech has against MuscleTech, AllMax, and MusclePharm are finalized quickly.

LoudyRowdy
06-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Alr1?

mcsh
06-17-2016, 05:45 PM
I'll address this once. Just because someone try's to claim something in a suit does not make it true... our proteins are not spiked, purchase a tub from any store you'd like and if it's made by us it's not spiked. As the largest company we will get lawsuits from the little guys trying to claim all sorts of stuff, but that does not make it true. Especially if they have to make their own press release to let you know about it.
Remember when you are the top dog everyone is watching you... Your every move. All our products are tested, but I can't say that for the smaller guys who aren't being watched.

Your proteins are not spiked? Forgive me if I've been out of the loop for awhile, but are you saying this because they've been reformulated? I glanced at Phase 8's panel in the store and I no longer see added aminos...

I think that might actually answer my question. I'm guessing the platinum line also had added aminos, but was reformulated to remove them? I just never remember seeing an "amino matrix" or whatever it was called in the platinum line's ingredients.

mcsh
06-17-2016, 05:47 PM
I think "spiked" implies that they added amino acids that were not on the label.

They were on the label, but it was a legal loophole per FDA.

Perhaps "spiked" isn't the best term to use; I simply chose it because of the association of the phrase "protein spiking" with adding cheap aminos to boost the nitrogen content and thus achieve an inflated protein measurement.

TMac26
06-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Perhaps "spiked" isn't the best term to use; I simply chose it because of the association of the phrase "protein spiking" with adding cheap aminos to boost the nitrogen content and thus achieve an inflated protein measurement.

Wasn't an attack on you, just clearing miss understandings.

What they did was legal per FDA labeling laws. They allow amino acids to be classified as protein

mcsh
06-21-2016, 01:44 AM
So, can anyone confirm/deny that Muscletech's Platinum line of proteins has been reformulated to remove additional aminos? That's the only plausible explanation I can come up with.

I just want to know if the Vanilla Cake Whey I bought (and enjoyed) was "spiked". Thanks in advance.

masterg20
06-21-2016, 05:59 AM
So, can anyone confirm/deny that Muscletech's Platinum line of proteins has been reformulated to remove additional aminos? That's the only plausible explanation I can come up with.

I just want to know if the Vanilla Cake Whey I bought (and enjoyed) was "spiked". Thanks in advance.

I have a bottle of Platinum Iso Whey without any aminos listed on the package.

Madevilz
10-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Just purchased a few tubs of these and then saw this thread lol.

I thought MT cleaned up after the Phase 8 fiasco.
Has there been any test done on the 100% Platinum to make such statement about amino spiking?

HeavenBeyond
10-04-2016, 10:17 AM
No offense, but it's the idiot consumer who is to blame. After the Phase 8 incident, why would anybody purchase their products? :rolleyes:

Madevilz
10-04-2016, 10:19 AM
No offense, but it's the idiot consumer who is to blame. After the Phase 8 incident, why would anybody purchase their products? :rolleyes:

the spiking wasn't too bad per se,
on the Canadian label, they state how much amino there is in Phase8, and the total was 20g of actual protein instead of the claimed 26g. Still unethical but this is not on BPI's level with less than half the protein claimed on the Whey HD products.

BlueRev
10-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Let me be very clear.
Just because someone makes a lawsuit, does not mean it's true. They can claim anything they want, that does not mean they have any backing to the claim.

Just purchased a few tubs of these and then saw this thread lol.

I thought MT cleaned up after the Phase 8 fiasco.
Has there been any test done on the 100% Platinum to make such statement about amino spiking?

Muscletech has 100% transparent labels.
Phase8 listed everything in the ingredients as well as ALL of our products do.
Our platinum line is 100% transparent and anyone is welcome to test any of our products.

The platinum proteins have never had any added aminos to the formula if it did you'd see them in the ingreident label, all aminos in all the platinum proteins are naturally occurring.

Your proteins are not spiked? Forgive me if I've been out of the loop for awhile, but are you saying this because they've been reformulated? I glanced at Phase 8's panel in the store and I no longer see added aminos...

I think that might actually answer my question. I'm guessing the platinum line also had added aminos, but was reformulated to remove them? I just never remember seeing an "amino matrix" or whatever it was called in the platinum line's ingredients.
All our proteins have been reformulated because of public opinion on added aminos to formulas.
Let me repeat, Platinum proteins have NEVER had added amino's. All the aminos in the formula have been naturally occurring.

HeavenBeyond
10-04-2016, 10:56 AM
on the Canadian label, they state how much amino there is in Phase8, and the total was 20g of actual protein instead of the claimed 26g. Still unethical but this is not on BPI's level with less than half the protein claimed on the Whey HD products.

Fair enough, but it's the principal of the matter... MT will never get another dime from me.

westcyde
10-04-2016, 11:25 AM
MT is garbage. the first time i walked into a supplement store, owned by a natural bodybuilder, he told me try anything just never buy muscle tech products. It was great advice.

SCG
10-04-2016, 01:29 PM

Wait did I miss something on my hiatus this summer? Was this ever proven bpi was claiming way more then listed?

Madevilz
10-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Wait did I miss something on my hiatus this summer? Was this ever proven bpi was claiming way more then listed?

https://medium.com/@anthonyroberts/seventy-protein-powder-lab-tests-bpi-mhp-muscle-meds-weider-and-more-fail-e6775135f143#.efpz7kp7f

SCG
10-04-2016, 06:39 PM
https://medium.com/@anthonyroberts/seventy-protein-powder-lab-tests-bpi-mhp-muscle-meds-weider-and-more-fail-e6775135f143#.efpz7kp7f

Wonder if this was the old whey hd or new before label change. I know the old one I had to use almost 2 scoops to actually reach weight in grams listed on label.