PDA

View Full Version : Stair Master vs Elliptical

pinfante
06-14-2016, 05:41 PM
Why do i sweat waaaaaaay more doing 12 mins on the stair master over doing 60 mins of the Elliptical? Is it that much of a better workout? According to the machines I burn way more calories on the elliptical... someone please explain.

Serpentarius
06-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Why do i sweat waaaaaaay more doing 12 mins on the stair master over doing 60 mins of the Elliptical? Is it that much of a better workout? According to the machines I burn way more calories on the elliptical... someone please explain.

It generates more friction, more muscles are contracting. Ignore calories used on machines, calorie usage is a function of oxygen consumption, heat is a byproduct (thermogenesis, metabolic function).

pinfante
06-15-2016, 05:38 AM
so whats a better workout for burning calories 12 mins on the stair master or an hour on the elliptical?

PendlayRow8500
06-15-2016, 05:40 AM
It generates more friction, more muscles are contracting. Ignore calories used on machines, calorie usage is a function of oxygen consumption, heat is a byproduct (thermogenesis, metabolic function).

Is oxygen consumption determined by heart rate ?

Tommy W.
06-15-2016, 07:04 AM
It doesn't matter what you use as long as your heart rate is up where you want it. It's actually best to vary the equipment you use from time to time. Personally, when ever I actually DO cardio in the gym it's on the elliptical. High tension and push hard and it gets the job done

pinfante
06-15-2016, 07:13 AM
It doesn't matter what you use as long as your heart rate is up where you want it. It's actually best to vary the equipment you use from time to time. Personally, when ever I actually DO cardio in the gym it's on the elliptical. High tension and push hard and it gets the job done

so i should ignore the fact that i am sweating a million times more doing 12 mins on stair master over 60 mins of elliptical?

Tommy W.
06-15-2016, 07:45 AM
so i should ignore the fact that i am sweating a million times more doing 12 mins on stair master over 60 mins of elliptical? How many calories you burn on each piece of equipment will depend on the tension setting you're using. Most people use too low a setting on the elliptical.

EjnarKolinkar
06-15-2016, 09:40 AM
Irrelevant really, as TW said it ha more to do with intensity than the name of the machine.

dmuscle1234
06-15-2016, 09:42 AM
i know i feel like i get a way better workout on the stair stepper thing.

Tommy W.
06-15-2016, 11:49 AM
i know i feel like i get a way better workout on the stair stepper thing.Then that's what you should be using.

pinfante
06-15-2016, 11:51 AM
let me rephrase my question. I think im not explaining my question properly.

Should I not judge the effectiveness of the workout based on how much I sweat? For example only 12 minutes on the stair master i am pouring sweat out and drenched where as a full 1 hour on the elliptical i hardly break a sweat. how would it be possible i can burn as many calories in 12 mins that i can in a hour... my guess is not possible