PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed, I can't Seem To Lose Weight!

BigFatGinger
05-31-2016, 06:05 PM
Hey Guys,
So this is my first post, and I figured since it was specific to me, it would be appropriate to post a thread. So here's the deal:
I started running about 2 months ago at 255 pounds. I had dropped down to 235, but went back up to 240 and seem to be stuck there. I have completely cut added sugar/sodium out of my diet, and only eat a fairly balanced diet now. Here are the stats:

Sex: Male
Height: 6'0"
Current Weight: 240lbs
Goal: Weight Loss (200lb goal weight)
Gym Access: Yes, I go 6 days a week
Diet: Consists of a mixture of protein (shakes and meats), veggies, fruits, rice, and egg. I also have unflavored oatmeal and low fat greek yogurt for breakfast almost every morning.
Workout: 6 Days a week of running (Between 4-6K), 40min weight lifting (Lighter weight, higher reps), and 20min core Smoke: No

With all that, I seem to have become stuck at 240. I actually dropped down to 235, but went back up to 240 over the course of a week and a half. Am I doing something wrong? I really want to get down to 200lbs, but at this point, it seems impossible. Any help is welcome, and if you need more info, I can try and provide. Thank you!

Strobe57
05-31-2016, 06:12 PM
This probably isn't the answer you want, but you're just eating too many calories. Check out this sub-forum. Pretty good info on calories in vs calories out, macros, etc.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

BigFatGinger
05-31-2016, 06:34 PM
Thanks Strobe, But I don't think it's my calories. I track all my calories in vs out and I burn around 4000 a day and intake less than 2000.

Strobe57
05-31-2016, 06:46 PM
Thanks Strobe, But I don't think it's my calories. I track all my calories in vs out and I burn around 4000 a day and intake less than 2000.
What else could it be? Unless you have some sort of crazy metabolic disorder it's basically calories in vs out.

A lot of people underestimate what they're eating, even if they're eating "healthy" foods. You may want to accurately track macros for a few days to see if you're really taking in under 2k.

vapedup247
06-01-2016, 05:53 AM
I started at 280 pounds at 5'7, you are either eating too many calories, not eating the right calories, or eating 1 insanely huge meal before bed every night.

bklein28
06-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Couple things. If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit. Plain and simple. What do you do throughout the day to burn 4000 calories? Already mentioned but people (in general) underestimate how many calories they take in and overestimate how many calories they burn while doing exercise. Unless you have a job where you are walking and lifting heavy stuff all day, you aren't burning 4000 calories. You need to start weighing the food that you eat so you get a better gauge on what 2000 calories looks like. Also don't forget to count in any sauces, oils, butters, etc... that you use while cooking. Don't forget about any snacks that you have throughout the day either.

lks7
06-01-2016, 07:10 AM
Make sure you're burning more calories than you're eating.

Jarome101
06-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Post your diet - fruit rice and eggs, how much of each? Shakes - what kind of milk. If you are doing that much, perhaps calculate your maint. calories and take off 300 and then all of the upside will come from your exercise, 4K a day is a lot and likely inaccurate

Your running burns about 250-300 calories (estimated 5k at your weight)
Weights maybe 150 calories - so 450 calories total burned from daily activities, I highly doubt you are burning 3,500 calories normally.

If you are at the same weight and you are 240 pounds at 6'0 you are probably burning ~2900 per day, then another 400 per day, which is total of 3,300 per day. So if you are eating at a deficit thinking you are burning 4K a day with a deficit it makes sense you are stuck here. Bring your calories down 1k. You can eat very well at 2.3k calories a day

Best of luck

gcjager
06-01-2016, 08:16 AM
It's not so unreasonable. If he works a physical job he burns around 1k at work. His BMR probably comes in over 2k. Add in his exercise and while he's still around 3.5k if not a little higher depending on what he does during his spare time he's getting pretty close.

That said, calories in vs calories out. Go for a 30minute walk in the evenings. Eat smaller portions. Somewhere the math isn't adding up :)

critterbug
06-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Are you actually tracking your calories in? And how are you tracking calories out?

It sounds like you're doing many of the right things, but good intentions alone won't get you there. You can actually overeat "healthy" food, so you have to be absolutely certain that you're meeting your deficit. How are you making sure that you are doing that? I'm not suggesting that you are miscalculating, but you do have to look into that when you're not getting the results that you'd expect.

It's blasphemy to many, but I did actually have to alter my macros to start losing this time around. If you are keeping a log of your calories in and they're carefully, mindfully measured, and you're sure of your output (those are two tremendous *if*s - be honest with yourself there), then my thoughts would be that you should look next at macros.

CRAT0S
06-01-2016, 10:29 AM
4,000 per day, every day, 7 days a week (avg)?!? That's an insane amount of output.

I've been tracking my calories (daily) and TDEE (weekly) since the 1st of the year. Slightly taller and started significantly heavier and have only hit 4,000 a day for an entire week 4-5 times.

As others have said, you need to be honest with yourself about how much you're eating/burning. Measure everything and count drinks/sauces/toppings/etc. Watch out for those snacks that you forget about and overeating on the weekend that will ruin 5 days of being 'good'.

If you're eating in a deficit, you will lose. Get over to the nutrition section and read through the stickies on how to track your food and calculate your TDEE.