PDA

View Full Version : Lost weight but still feeling pudgy

hebrewbammer
05-29-2016, 09:03 AM
So I'm about 5'10" and used to weight about 204 lbs. After 18 months of working out and changing my diet, I'm now down to about 159lbs. My waist size has certainly shrunk and I dropped around 5-6 sizes. I do feel like I accomplished a lot and feel a lot better about myself, but I still feel a bit pudgy. I've attached some photos of where I'm at now and what my goal to look like is. I'd like to ask for some advice about how to proceed.

When I first started, I lived in an apartment with a much nicer gym and a nice pool so I did a mix of weights and swimming. I did that for about 6 months before I moved to another apartment which lacks a nice pool for swimming laps in and doesn't have weight machines (it does have free weights). I've been there for the remaining 12 months. I did cardio there at the beginning for a few months, then the gym closed for remodeling for 2 months, and then reopened last November. I started going back there in December, but then holidays happened. Long story short, in February I began reading about how I should do more weight training than cardio, so I've added a lot more weights since February. I lift weights every other day where I do: bench press, bent over rows, squats, lunges, deadlifts (sometimes), bicep curls (sometimes), and shoulder press. I occasionally mix it up a bit and add planks and triceps. So that's been what I've been doing the past few months. Unfortunately, the gym here is just super limited to a couple treadmills, a couple ellipticals, and a free weight set.

As for diet, I've been trying to basically just be balanced with everything. I haven't kept calorie counts like I should, but I try to add vegetables to more things, eat foods with protein and healthy fats (e.g. salmon frequently, or chicken grilled in olive oil etc.) along with brocolli or asparagus. I also enjoy making taquitos with salsa, chicken breast, and cheese so I get a nice balance of foods from that as well (I do enjoy the Costco caesar salads from the food court as well). Anyways, long story short: haven't been counting in detail but have been conscious about adding more vegetables and eating more nutrient-dense foods while eating under maintenance. I also pretty much only drink water (occasionally coconut water only because I find it better able to quench my thirst after working out or when I'm sick and it goes down more easily than water).

Anyways, that's a brief version of what I've been doing. Any advice about how to proceed (whether to change things or keep doing what I'm doing to drop more pounds) would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Tommy W.
05-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Your goal photo will take a lot of work. You have zero muscle. You need to start adding mass immediately. Continuing to lose fat will get you the body of a 3rd world starvation victim. Great job on the fatloss. It shows you have the will power to make things happen. Now take that work ethic and build some muscle!

Junsuiakai
05-29-2016, 09:12 AM
Your goal is to be Asian? No, seriously, you need to lean bulk. He isn't even impressive, I'd say 6 months of dedicated nutrition+exercise to look like him. You've been working out for 18 months, and you haven't been dedicated with your nutrition. You would be extremely surprised how much you could change if you hone in on your nutrition. If you really want to achieve your goal of being a slim Asian man, then start really counting your macros and lean bulking. I will say this one more time, just to nail home the importance of nutrition. Count your macros! Don't guess.

hebrewbammer
05-29-2016, 09:28 AM
So how long should I bulk until? I've mainly read threads on cutting since I was so overweight at the time that I wanted to be slimmer and leaner. I'm nervous about putting on weight again after working so hard to get rid of it. Do I keep doing the same exercises I was doing then? I wish our gym had a lot more than just a free weight set. The gist of what I read was to basically eat what one does during cutting but more of it and use a lot of weights. Also, do I cut out cardio completely then? I enjoyed doing both weights and cardio, but it sounds like cardio would be counterproductive.

Sorry for all the questions... just want to make sure I do this properly so that I don't undo all the weight loss I spent so long working towards

Tommy W.
05-29-2016, 10:23 AM
So how long should I bulk until? I've mainly read threads on cutting since I was so overweight at the time that I wanted to be slimmer and leaner. I'm nervous about putting on weight again after working so hard to get rid of it. Do I keep doing the same exercises I was doing then? I wish our gym had a lot more than just a free weight set. The gist of what I read was to basically eat what one does during cutting but more of it and use a lot of weights. Also, do I cut out cardio completely then? I enjoyed doing both weights and cardio, but it sounds like cardio would be counterproductive.

Sorry for all the questions... just want to make sure I do this properly so that I don't undo all the weight loss I spent so long working towardsThere's no reason to cut out cardio, just don't go overboard. Eat at a small surplus of calories and get on a good lifting program. Keep track of your waist measurement at the navel. When this measurement grows by 1" you've put on around 5-7 lbs of fat. Try to not get to this point. If you start approaching this you want to cut back down again.

When you go back into a surplus of calories don't go so high. Adding muscle while staying lean is like walking a tightrope. Getting the calories right takes time and experimenting. Once you find your sweet spot you'll be fine. Remember that you HAVE to train properly or the extra calories will go to mostly adding fat.

trkarl
05-29-2016, 11:09 AM
You have done a real good job at losing the fat and now have a nice lean base to build from. It's a good thing imo that you are using mainly compound lifts in your training

I've added a lot more weights since February. I lift weights every other day where I do: bench press, bent over rows, squats, lunges, deadlifts (sometimes), bicep curls (sometimes), and shoulder press. I occasionally mix it up a bit and add planks and triceps.

Now just pay real good attention to what Tommy said

Eat at a small surplus of calories and get on a good lifting program. Keep track of your waist measurement at the navel. When this measurement grows by 1" you've put on around 5-7 lbs of fat. Try to not get to this point. If you start approaching this you want to cut back down again.

When you go back into a surplus of calories don't go so high. Adding muscle while staying lean is like walking a tightrope. Getting the calories right takes time and experimenting. Once you find your sweet spot you'll be fine. Remember that you HAVE to train properly or the extra calories will go to mostly adding fat.

The lifting program and training properly is real important. You need to aim for progressive overload in your training to gain muscle effectively. There are several beginner programs structured properly on this site. Just pick one you want to try and get started. I'm sure it won't take long to surpass that goal pic you posted. That pic will probably be just a small stepping stone for you. Good luck!

hebrewbammer
05-31-2016, 09:46 PM
I really appreciate all the input! So I went to the nutrition section to calculate, and wanted to see if this sounds about right:

BMR = 1688
Activity Factor = 1.4
So my TEE is 2363
So I need about 10% more than this => 2600 calories (gosh that feels like a lot)

It looks like I'm supposed to have 1g of protein per pound bodyweight, so about 160g of protein per day? And then 0.5g of fat per pound of body weight, so 80g of fat? Which then gives me: [2600 - 4(160)-9(80)]/4 = 310g carbs.

Does that sound about right?

As for workout routines, it seems like most of it requires access to equipment I don't have (e.g. barbells). I was looking at the 5x5 program: I can do squats, deadlifts, bench press, but I don't have a barbell to do bent over barbell rows and standing military press. Can I do bent over rows with dumbells and can I do a shoulder press with dumbells instead of standing military press?

Tommy, if I'm eating in a surplus and gaining weight, you said "Keep track of your waist measurement at the navel. When this measurement grows by 1" you've put on around 5-7 lbs of fat. Try to not get to this point." If I'm gaining weight, how would my waist not grow? I guess I'm a little confused how my body would put on mass but I wouldn't grow in waist measurement? In other words, what changes should I be seeing to my body to know if I'm on the right track?

Sorry again for all the questions!

Tommy W.
05-31-2016, 10:01 PM
I really appreciate all the input! So I went to the nutrition section to calculate, and wanted to see if this sounds about right:

BMR = 1688
Activity Factor = 1.4
So my TEE is 2363
So I need about 10% more than this => 2600 calories (gosh that feels like a lot)

It looks like I'm supposed to have 1g of protein per pound bodyweight, so about 160g of protein per day? And then 0.5g of fat per pound of body weight, so 80g of fat? Which then gives me: [2600 - 4(160)-9(80)]/4 = 310g carbs.

Does that sound about right?

As for workout routines, it seems like most of it requires access to equipment I don't have (e.g. barbells). I was looking at the 5x5 program: I can do squats, deadlifts, bench press, but I don't have a barbell to do bent over barbell rows and standing military press. Can I do bent over rows with dumbells and can I do a shoulder press with dumbells instead of standing military press?

Tommy, if I'm eating in a surplus and gaining weight, you said "Keep track of your waist measurement at the navel. When this measurement grows by 1" you've put on around 5-7 lbs of fat. Try to not get to this point." If I'm gaining weight, how would my waist not grow? I guess I'm a little confused how my body would put on mass but I wouldn't grow in waist measurement? In other words, what changes should I be seeing to my body to know if I'm on the right track?

Sorry again for all the questions!Your waist generally won't grow due to muscle in the short term enough to measure so any waist increase at the navel will be fat