PDA

View Full Version : getting too small on cut?

goatpecs
05-15-2016, 08:37 AM
I have been on my cut for about 4 weeks now. I have been eating around 2300 calories a day which is about 20% of my TDEE. I was around 192 before my cut and now I'm like 184. All my lifts have stayed the same and even going up in certain lifts. I was about 20% before my cut and was skinny fat and the reason I decided to cut was because I wanted to get rid of my gut and get lean before I started a long clean bulk. I just saw a picture of myself yesterday and I look really skinny like a concentration camp victim. I didn't have much muscle mass before my cut and I just feel like a twig and even people telling me I got really skinny (eve though I can out lift them in every lift). My question is that is this expected on a cut and should I up my calories and take it slower? Kind of demotivated and don't know if I should continue to cut.

gbullock32
05-15-2016, 08:50 AM
It is to be expected if you cut without having enough muscle mass to support a lower body fat, yes. Otherwise no.

goatpecs
05-15-2016, 08:57 AM
It is to be expected if you cut without having enough muscle mass to support a lower body fat, yes. Otherwise no. I just measured my arms at 16.5 inches flexed which isn't big but I don't think "really skinny" like I've been hearing. But I was wearing a double XL shirt and was on low carbs and hadn't eaten in a few hours so maybe that's why I looked so small yesterday. My fat has been melting off and I am losing my gut but I still have weeks before abs. I guess my question is should I continue to cut but take it slower or lean bulk?

gbullock32
05-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Given it has only been 4 weeks and a large part of this initial weight drop is likely water weight, I would keep at it 2 more weeks or so and adjust if needed then. Increase calories or keep the same if weight loss slows to ~1 pound per week.

Of course this does depend on your height.

goatpecs
05-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Given it has only been 4 weeks and a large part of this initial weight drop is likely water weight, I would keep at it 2 more weeks or so and adjust if needed then. Increase calories or keep the same if weight loss slows to ~1 pound per week.

Of course this does depend on your height.
ok ill continue it and readjust after a few weeks. I am 5'11

gbullock32
05-15-2016, 09:06 AM
ok ill continue it and readjust after a few weeks. I am 5'11Given height/weight I would not imagine you will not be able to cut too much without looking skinny indeed; you likely need mass. If you keep the cut up you will need to keep weight in mind and not cut too far.

Mrpb
05-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Losing 2 pounds per week is probably too fast. Slow it down to ~1-1.5 pound per week.

Looking smaller because of cutting is one of the major downsides. Personally I would not recommend cutting unless you have already built enough muscle mass. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIX-RyorgkQ

goatpecs
05-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Losing 2 pounds per week is probably too fast. Slow it down to ~1-1.5 pound per week.

Looking smaller because of cutting is one of the major downsides. Personally I would not recommend cutting unless you have already built enough muscle mass. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIX-RyorgkQ
thanks for the tips guys! in regards to the video you sent me how does one recomp? do you eat at maintenance calories? I always read on here that you cant gain muscle on a recomp and end up spinning your wheels.

Mrpb
05-15-2016, 10:38 AM
thanks for the tips guys! in regards to the video you sent me how does one recomp?

Keep making progress on a good program while eating as many calories as possible while maintaining your weight.

I always read on here that you cant gain muscle on a recomp and end up spinning your wheels.

If you're able to continue to make significant progress on the compound lifts you won't be spinning your wheels.

http://shreddedbyscience.com/can-you-gain-weight-in-a-calorie-deficit/
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/gain-muscle-and-lose-fat-at-the-same-time/

IMO cutting down without sufficient muscle mass in order to bulk up again is a great way to spin your wheels.

Znik
05-15-2016, 10:42 AM
thanks for the tips guys! in regards to the video you sent me how does one recomp? do you eat at maintenance calories? I always read on here that you cant gain muscle on a recomp and end up spinning your wheels.

You eat at maintenance and hope to lose fat/gain muscle at the same time.

Some believe it's possible to do so at an acceptable rate (and there is some scientific evidence of it), others do not.

Personally I don't put faith in that it's as effective as cutting and bulking, and seen far more spin their wheels trying to recomp than cut/bulk (but it does happen for some on that as well). I like the focus on one goal at a time approach instead.

goatpecs
05-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Keep making progress on a good program while eating as many calories as possible while maintaining your weight.

If you're able to continue to make significant progress on the compound lifts you won't be spinning your wheels.

http://shreddedbyscience.com/can-you-gain-weight-in-a-calorie-deficit/
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/gain-muscle-and-lose-fat-at-the-same-time/

IMO cutting down without sufficient muscle mass in order to bulk up again is a great way to spin your wheels.

yeah I am on lyle mcdonalds generc bulking routine upper lower split. I like it a lot what do you think of it for my specific goals? The problem I made when I dirty bulked was I didn't use proper form and didn't work hard but now I'm using proper form and busting my ass in the gym so I think I can continue to make progression on my lifts to have a successful recomp. so should I be eating 2800 calories a day which is my maintenance ?

goatpecs
05-15-2016, 10:52 AM
You eat at maintenance and hope to lose fat/gain muscle at the same time.

Some believe it's possible to do so at an acceptable rate (and there is some scientific evidence of it), others do not.

Personally I don't put faith in that it's as effective as cutting and bulking, and seen far more spin their wheels trying to recomp than cut/bulk (but it does happen for some on that as well). I like the focus on one goal at a time approach instead.

that's the problem with me if I continue to cut I will look anorexic. And if I continue to bulk I will look fat so I'm not sure what to do tbh

Mrpb
05-15-2016, 10:55 AM
yeah I am on lyle mcdonalds generc bulking routine upper lower split. I like it a lot what do you think of it for my specific goals?

It's a good program.

what are your lifts?

do you have a current picture?

so should I be eating 2800 calories a day which is my maintenance ?

If that allows you to continue to make progress it will work.

that's the problem with me if I continue to cut I will look anorexic.

That's exactly the reason I don't recommend cutting.

goatpecs
05-15-2016, 11:01 AM
right now I'm db benching 80 x8
deadlift 405x3 can get 395 x6
Front squat 225x5 (cant back squat for a few weeks)
bb row: 160 x8
chin ups: bw +30 x 8

no picture right now but ill get one up in a little while

Mrpb
05-15-2016, 11:03 AM
That pic will be helpful.

How tall are you?

goatpecs
05-15-2016, 11:10 AM
That pic will be helpful.

How tall are you?

5'11 184 probably around 16-18% body fat

Znik
05-15-2016, 11:25 AM
5'11 184 probably around 16-18% body fat

5'11 @ 184 shouldn't be skeletal mode, sounds more like body dysmorphia but the pic will tell when you get it posted.