PDA

View Full Version : Carb Timing On Bulk

eugegall
05-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Hi All,

I was told that to try and keep the bulk of my carbs to within an hour either side of my workout for minimal fat uptake.

On a bulk does it really matter or shall I just make sure I'm hitting those calories?

Thanks

dipatel13
05-04-2016, 02:34 PM
Not important, just make sure you keep a controlled surplus with adequate macros.

Nate118
05-04-2016, 03:08 PM
The size of the surplus is more important than the timing of your carbs. But I like to make sure that I have plenty/enough pre-workout. Then I fill them in however else throughout the day. Typically it's guided by how active I'll need to be. Carbs at night might also help sleep.

Znik
05-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Hi All,

I was told that to try and keep the bulk of my carbs to within an hour either side of my workout for minimal fat uptake.

On a bulk does it really matter or shall I just make sure I'm hitting those calories?

Thanks

Optimally you want some carbs with protein before and after workout for that maximum insulin,igf-1 and MPS spike. Beyond that it doesn't matter, it's not the carbs making you fat it's the calories.

It's not likely to matter that much either way, just make sure you are in a overall steady surplus and gain 2-3lbs/month.

Mrpb
05-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Optimally you want some carbs with protein before and after workout for that maximum insulin,igf-1 and MPS spike.

From what I've read there's no proven benefit from eating carbs with protein on MPS or insulin. You can get the same MPS response with protein alone and it will be enough to trigger the necessary insulin.

Znik
05-05-2016, 12:53 AM
From what I've read there's no proven benefit from eating carbs with protein on MPS or insulin. You can get the same MPS response with protein alone and it will be enough to trigger the necessary insulin.

That's true, if the protein comes from meat,fish,dairy products, eggs and plant based protein sources to my knowledge promotes a lesser insulin response.

Protein sources for most people tend to be from meat,fish and dairy anyhow and they tend to come with some carbs, which is partly why I wrote that it doesn't really matter much.

Mrpb
05-05-2016, 01:24 AM
That's true, if the protein comes from meat,fish,dairy products, eggs and plant based protein sources to my knowledge promotes a lesser insulin response.

That's true but if I remember correctly the needed amount of insulin is quite low so a robust amount of protein would be enough to trigger it.

Znik
05-05-2016, 01:54 AM
That's true but if I remember correctly the needed amount of insulin is quite low so a robust amount of protein would be enough to trigger it.

That's also true (bet we could do this all day)

"optimal" in my eyes is the adequate amount + some extra to be on the safe side. But personally I don't care much about the nitpicking on everything to get everything "super optimal", I get my adequate intake whenever and put my primary focus on progressively lifting, not worrying about every other aspect.

Bet if some people would put half the focus and worry on having everything optimal into the lifting aspect and daily diet instead they would achieve far better results.

Mrpb
05-05-2016, 02:22 AM
Well there is some weaker data suggesting that having carbs 2-3 hours after a protein rich meal may suppress muscle protein breakdown. In that way it may contribute to more positive muscle protein balance over 24 hours.

If there's any optimal protocol it may involve this strategy.

Personally I don't bother with it. I eat carbs when I prefer and allows me to perform well.

And that's also my advice to OP: eat carbs when you prefer and allows you to perform well.

eugegall
05-05-2016, 02:48 AM
Well there is some weaker data suggesting that having carbs 2-3 hours after a protein rich meal may suppress muscle protein breakdown. In that way it may contribute to more positive muscle protein balance over 24 hours.

If there's any optimal protocol it may involve this strategy.

Personally I don't bother with it. I eat carbs when I prefer and allows me to perform well.

And that's also my advice to OP: eat carbs when you prefer and allows you to perform well.

Thanks for your help as always. Repped!

I'm going to simply focus on hitting my macros and calories for a low bulk and not worry too much about when I have my carbs.

At the moment its pretty much throughout the whole day from breakfast to pre bed meal.

Thanks