PDA

View Full Version : Triceps Recovery (NEED ADVICE)

davidheckbam
05-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Hey y'all. I'm posting to get some advice. I have been lifting for about 2 years. I'm 5'9'' and started at 140 lbs before weight training. After a solid year and a half, I reached 185 lbs (quite lean). I was addicted and loved bodybuilding. About a year back I had injured my triceps tendon doing overhead single arm dumbbell extensions. I had tweaked the same triceps tendon a few times in my life before from doing exercises such as skull crushers but I had simply rested a little and worked through it/around it and it healed up quite nicely. HOWEVER, from this injury from over head dumbbell extensions, my recovery has taken MUCH longer and the pain has been worse. I have tried resting it with no upper body lifting for a month or so on and off, and I have tried training through it as well...I had reached a point where I was training through it and maintaining gains everywhere except in my arms (a little chest too). I lost a lot of mass in my arms. For a while I was feeling pretty good and I probably had reached 80% but then I got a job as a dishwasher and that reaggrivated the injury... I always think that if I wouldn't have got that damn job I would be back in the gym. I had to end up quitting that job because the pain got so bad and all my elbow joints cracked and were really sensitive. For some reason even though its my triceps tendon that was injured it hurts even more doing bicep curls than doing triceps work. Supinated bicep curls where my hands are horizontal and palms up are especially painful. I have been to the Doctor (she didn't do a screening) and she diagnosed my with triceps tendinitis (Not tendonosis? which I was expecting) and she told me to do light training with an arm wrap and ice and take ibuprofen...But as you all know, recovery can be more of an art than a science and I have not really gotten much better from it. I want to know your thoughts. I don't know whether to rest completely, or if I should be trying to do light weight training to try to strengthen the tendon. Has anyone one experienced this type of injury? I have done a lot of research and it seems like most people get tendonitis in their forearm/bicep (tennis elbow) in comparison to the triceps. It seems like its not a very common injury. Any help would be immensely appreciated. Weight training has been a huge part of my life and it sucks to not be able to do it. Sorry for such a long post, any comments and help would be very appreciated!

David