PDA

View Full Version : Cravings - eating sugar suddenly since beginning weight lifting

Fitmaven
05-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Hey everyone,

I am new here, I hope this is the right place to post- I have been following on this site for some time and see that so many of you have great knowledge on nutiruon etc.

I started weight lifting about 6 weeks ago, after I began working with a coach. I had been doing mainly cardio and fairly low carb.

Since end of March I began weight lifting 5 days a week followed by a 20 minute run with yoga or walking on the 6th day.

When I started my cals were roughly 1450
Cards 148
Protein 148
Fat 34

I was hungry all the time.

Last week my coach changed things to

Cals 1640

Carbs 190
Protein 130
Fat 40

I an 5'3
I weight 126
I would say my bf percentage is probably about 25 percent currently as I had a baby about a year ago.

The past 2 weeks my cravings for sugar specifically is nuts. I have NEVER had trouble dieting, I have always had good discipline, inhabe no idea what is going on. I staring to get really bummed about it. I just find myself saying screw aND just likeep standing in the kitchen eating PB and ice cream or something equally and sugary and calorie dense.
My husband thinks I need to raise calories - but I dont I'll lose fat if I do.

Has anyone ever encountered this? I'm statting to get really frustrated with myself but mostly I just dont get it- why am.I having these carbs fatty freak.outs!

Thx so much!

Heisman2
05-02-2016, 06:06 PM
You may need to increase calories, actually. If I understand correctly, you went from no physical activity to doing weights with 20 minutes cardio 5 days a week, and you bumped your calories up by 190. Besides burning more than 190 calories in your weights + cardio sessions, you've probably also increased your metabolism a decent amount with all the new activity. If this is your first time lifting you'll slowly lose fat and build muscle with a decent diet and beginner gains. You may want to bump the fat up some to do this. I generally feel if you are beginning training for the first time then try to eat healthy but don't kill yourself to eat at a deficit, just try to maintain your bodyweight and you should lose fat/gain muscle. Again, beginner gains are pretty awesome (this works for non-beginners too but not as quickly).

Are you hungry the whole day or just certain times of day (ie, before or after training or before you go to sleep)?

grouchyjarhead
05-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Your calories do seem a bit low. Just going off of what you posted, your Basal Metabolic Rate is roughly 1340 calories, and that's if you just lied around in bed all day blinking. You're probably training an hour a day 5-6 times a week and only getting 300 extra calories a day, it looks like it's not enough.

Fat intake seems really low too. 0.45g/lb is the typical recommended minimum, which would be around 57g for you.

If you're having sugar attacks, pick up some dark chocolate and work it in your diet as a snack/reward after you finish training. I like Moser Roth dark chocolate, it's delicious. One bar (half the serving size) is only 145 calories so it's easy to work in.

Fitmaven
05-03-2016, 04:15 AM
You may need to increase calories, actually. If I understand correctly, you went from no physical activity to doing weights with 20 minutes cardio 5 days a week, and you bumped your calories up by 190. Besides burning more than 190 calories in your weights + cardio sessions, you've probably also increased your metabolism a decent amount with all the new activity. If this is your first time lifting you'll slowly lose fat and build muscle with a decent diet and beginner gains. You may want to bump the fat up some to do this. I generally feel if you are beginning training for the first time then try to eat healthy but don't kill yourself to eat at a deficit, just try to maintain your bodyweight and you should lose fat/gain muscle. Again, beginner gains are pretty awesome (this works for non-beginners too but not as quickly).

Are you hungry the whole day or just certain times of day (ie, before or after training or before you go to sleep)?

Thanks for the response!

All that is true except I was pretty active before I started this program but had never done weight lifting before. So I went from basically running and doing mainly cardio circuits to doing mainly weight lifting with a cardio chaser lol!

I have always eaten well, bit was grain free for a coyote of years but ditched that a few weeks ago and now include brown rice and quinoa in my diet.

I find I am the most hungry after my workout and at the end of my day..at 7pm is usually when I suddenly decide PB is a good idea. Are those typical times for hunger ?

I hope I can still lose fat while increasing, but I have to do something as I had to skip the gym today due to just being wiped out and that won't do! 😉

Fitmaven
05-03-2016, 04:20 AM
I was reading the stickies and my fat is too low! Also that's a great idea, I love dark chocolate and it is way better than what I end up surrendering to. Thx!

I never thought of my calories broken down like that. It does seem low.maybe I should increase closer to 1700?

Fitmaven
05-03-2016, 04:22 AM
Your calories do seem a bit low. Just going off of what you posted, your Basal Metabolic Rate is roughly 1340 calories, and that's if you just lied around in bed all day blinking. You're probably training an hour a day 5-6 times a week and only getting 300 extra calories a day, it looks like it's not enough.

Fat intake seems really low too. 0.45g/lb is the typical recommended minimum, which would be around 57g for you.

If you're having sugar attacks, pick up some dark chocolate and work it in your diet as a snack/reward after you finish training. I like Moser Roth dark chocolate, it's delicious. One bar (half the serving size) is only 145 calories so it's easy to work in.
I was reading the stickies and my fat is too low! Also that's a great idea, I love dark chocolate and it is way better than what I end up surrendering to. Thx!

I never thought of my calories broken down like that. It does seem low.maybe I should increase closer to 1700?