PDA

View Full Version : Starting Curcumin, Need Help Choosing Between These Two Please

Antoine99
05-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm going to finally start taking curcumin, but I want advice on which of these two to take:

The first one is Vitamin Shoppe brand and seems to be a higher dosage:

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1 VEGGIE CAP

Servings Per Container 120
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
TURMERIC EXTRACT - (CURCUMA LONGA)(ROOT) STD TO 95% CURCUMIN 855 MG 900 Mg N/A*
BIOPERINE(R) - (PIPER NIGRUM)(FRUIT) STD TO 95% PIPERINE ALKALOIDS 4.75 MG 5 Mg N/A*

The next brand is Life Extension, Super Bio-curcumin:

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1 VEGETARIAN CAPSULE

Servings Per Container 60
BCM-95 CURCUMIN - TURMERIC 25:1 EXTRACT (ROOT) {STD. TO 95% TOTAL CURCUMINOIDS COMPLEX WITH ESSENTIAL OILS OF TURMERICRHIZOME BY HPLC (380 MG)} 400 Mg N/A*

And just for good measure, my current regimen is, more or less:

~20g MSM, 3g vitamin C
~4,000 IU vitamin D3, 300 mcg vitamin K2, 200-400mg Magnesium Glycinate
2,500 mcg biotin
30 mg zinc
2 tablespoons powdered gelatin

And I'll be starting a complete B-complex at half dosage (by Life Extension) probably this week sometime, so that ups the biotin to 3,500.

The VS brand seems to be more cost effective at 42 cents a serving as opposed to 58 cents for the LE brand but that's basically the same. Also the VS brand has piperine which has been shown to greatly increase absorption of turmeric/curcumin (I assume the LE has that too? Even though it doesn't say?).

Thanks!

NurseGray
05-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm going to finally start taking curcumin, but I want advice on which of these two to take:

The first one is Vitamin Shoppe brand and seems to be a higher dosage:

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1 VEGGIE CAP

Servings Per Container 120
TURMERIC EXTRACT - (CURCUMA LONGA)(ROOT) STD TO 95% CURCUMIN 855 MG 900 Mg N/A*
BIOPERINE(R) - (PIPER NIGRUM)(FRUIT) STD TO 95% PIPERINE ALKALOIDS 4.75 MG 5 Mg N/A*

The next brand is Life Extension, Super Bio-curcumin:

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1 VEGETARIAN CAPSULE

Servings Per Container 60
BCM-95 CURCUMIN - TURMERIC 25:1 EXTRACT (ROOT) {STD. TO 95% TOTAL CURCUMINOIDS COMPLEX WITH ESSENTIAL OILS OF TURMERICRHIZOME BY HPLC (380 MG)} 400 Mg N/A*

And just for good measure, my current regimen is, more or less:

~20g MSM, 3g vitamin C
~4,000 IU vitamin D3, 300 mcg vitamin K2, 200-400mg Magnesium Glycinate
2,500 mcg biotin
30 mg zinc
2 tablespoons powdered gelatin

And I'll be starting a complete B-complex at half dosage (by Life Extension) probably this week sometime, so that ups the biotin to 3,500.

The VS brand seems to be more cost effective at 42 cents a serving as opposed to 58 cents for the LE brand but that's basically the same. Also the VS brand has piperine which has been shown to greatly increase absorption of turmeric/curcumin (I assume the LE has that too? Even though it doesn't say?).

Thanks!

I would go with the VS brand between the two. I also would not assume something is inside the product if the label doesn't state its in there.

Antoine99
05-02-2016, 10:39 AM
I would go with the VS brand between the two. I also would not assume something is inside the product if the label doesn't state its in there.

Good point, I thought that because LE is a very good brand that's what the "super bio available" in the name meant, but you never know.

Also that seems like a high dosage, 855mg curcumin, should I take that with the biggest meal of the day or what if I've never taken it before?

NurseGray
05-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Good point, I thought that because LE is a very good brand that's what the "super bio available" in the name meant, but you never know.

Also that seems like a high dosage, 855mg curcumin, should I take that with the biggest meal of the day or what if I've never taken it before?

If your sensitive to things I would suggest taking it with meals. Im not the best judge of this though. I can take 20 pills with 10oz of water and have no negative stomach issues.

Antoine99
05-02-2016, 11:12 AM
If your sensitive to thinks I would suggest taking it with meals. Im not the best judge of this though. I can take 20 pills with 10oz of water and have no negative stomach issues.

Yeah that's true, sounds good

Also sorry forgot to ask, should I take this with a touch of black pepper, even though it does contain piperine, just for good measure? I use BP on my food all the time anyway, so...Maybe it's not necessary.

Thanks again

kissdadookie
05-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Get the Life Extension one. It's using a bioavailibility enhanced delivery for the curcumin (BCM-95).

The best form of curcumin right now is Longvida though, it is also the most expensive but the data is solid for Longvida. At least more solid than the data available for BCM-95 and Meriva.

Antoine99
05-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Get the Life Extension one. It's using a bioavailibility enhanced delivery for the curcumin (BCM-95).

The best form of curcumin right now is Longvida though, it is also the most expensive but the data is solid for Longvida. At least more solid than the data available for BCM-95 and Meriva.

So technically, the LE one would have a higher dosage than the VS one in the end due to availability?

kissdadookie
05-02-2016, 11:43 AM
So technically, the LE one would have a higher dosage than the VS one in the end due to availability?

On paper it would appear that you get a lot more curcumin into your system using the LE one vs the VS one.

Antoine99
05-02-2016, 11:45 AM
Alright thanks a lot everyone, guess I'll go with that, they cost almost the same anyway, but there's a BOGO 50% sale on VS products right now, would have preferred the VS brand but whatever, I'd take LE over VS.

Outside backer
05-02-2016, 12:55 PM

this most curcumin bioavailability sucks. i doubt VS has some super set up to increase bioavailability, ive been using the LE biocurcumin for years

Antoine99
05-02-2016, 01:13 PM
this most curcumin bioavailability sucks. i doubt VS has some super set up to increase bioavailability, ive been using the LE biocurcumin for years

Alright sounds good, at least it's a two month supply at 1 capsule a day, not too bad.

But just for good measure I'm going to make sure to use black pepper on all my meals for the piperine, which increases bioavailability of turmeric (and by extension, curcumin) by as much as 2000% I've read.

Thanks again everyone

kissdadookie
05-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Alright sounds good, at least it's a two month supply at 1 capsule a day, not too bad.

But just for good measure I'm going to make sure to use black pepper on all my meals for the piperine, which increases bioavailability of turmeric (and by extension, curcumin) by as much as 2000% I've read.

Thanks again everyone

You should take 2 capsules a day tbh. So that bottle is really a 1 month supply.

Antoine99
05-02-2016, 01:40 PM
You should take 2 capsules a day tbh. So that bottle is really a 1 month supply.

Oh...Is that safe though?

If I do that, I'll at least take 1 capsule for the first few weeks to see how I react.

jelwin
04-04-2019, 11:24 PM
Talking about the benefit of Curcumin, recently I came across Arjuna Natural’s BCM-95® (CURCUGREEN®), a 100 percent pure extract of turmeric with enhanced bio-availability and bio-efficacy. Its powerful health-promoting benefits are derived from the colorful and aromatic qualities of the Indian spice. Inferred healthy from their longstanding use in traditional Ayurvedic and Chinese medical healing systems, these therapeutic constituents have also been repeatedly validated by the scientific data of today. BCM-95® (CURCUGREEN®) was born out of this wisdom. Some of the benefits I found about BCM-95® are.
BCM-95® supports joint health.
BCM-95® helps maintain joint health.
BCM-95® helps maintain proper joint function.
BCM-95® promotes joint flexibility and mobility.
BCM-95® helps maintain active joints.
BCM-95® supports cognitive health.
BCM-95® supports mood health.
BCM-95® provides inflammatory support.
BCM-95® helps relieve stress and frustration.
BCM-95® helps enhance mood.