PDA

View Full Version : ADH vs. Aldosterone bloating

nspice
04-28-2016, 07:10 PM
I am trying to cut water weight and I am so freaking confused. Based on my research, on the one hand, eating too much salt increases ADH (anti diuretic hormone) which causes water retention. BUT on the other hand, eating too little salt increases Aldosterone which causes water retention.

I'm going to drink a ton of water, but what the heck am I supposed to do regarding salt intake?

Heisman2
04-28-2016, 10:34 PM
When you eat a lot of salt your serum osmolarity increases and ADH is secreted in response. ADH triggers more channels in your kidneys to reabsorb water. This helps normalize the osmolarity.

When you eat too little salt your body tries to maintain a normal osmolarity by decreasing blood volume. Your kidneys sense this and secrete renin, which leads to increased angiotensin-converting enzyme and then aldosterone. Aldosterone signals your kidneys to retain sodium and lose potassium and acid. When you retain sodium, this will draw some water from within cells into your bloodstream to normalize the osmolarity and it will cause you to be thirsty so you'll want to drink more water.

None of the above should be any concern to you. If you want to cut a lot of water weight for a weigh-in, find a good article that safely guides you regarding how to do it. If you want more specific help, describe how much water weight you are trying to lose in what timeframe and for what purpose.

unplugged
04-28-2016, 10:54 PM
Yea what heis said was correct. Honestly if you are a hard training athlete/bber and/or sweat a lot like I do then you need not concern yourself overly with salt intake unless you are using mounds of soy sauce or something of the like and going completely overboard. Many demonize sodium and do not realize it's role it plays in blood volume and performance as I find if I consciously try to limit or avoid it I am left feeling flat, weak, and pump less. It may seem controversial but when I cut and am going lower in carbs I recommend increasing sodium as this helps dramatically with muscle fullness/strength in the gym I find. You never mentioned why you are cutting water but I assume for a fight or photoshoot?

ironwill2008
04-29-2016, 06:39 AM
I am trying to cut water weight and I am so freaking confused. Based on my research, on the one hand, eating too much salt increases ADH (anti diuretic hormone) which causes water retention. BUT on the other hand, eating too little salt increases Aldosterone which causes water retention.

I'm going to drink a ton of water, but what the heck am I supposed to do regarding salt intake?

Salt your food to taste, and eat some potassium-rich foods as well (easy to do; you'll find K in many common foods). Then, simply allow your body to regulate it's own electrolye levels and stop trying to micro-manage them.

nspice
04-30-2016, 05:47 PM
The reason I am cutting water weight is because I have struggled with it for a long time. My face is puffy most of the time and I looked into many reasons why this might be, I checked my thyroid, thought it might be sagging skin that needs a facelift (but I'm in my 20s...) and realized it is most likely water weight. I do not think it is fat because a few years ago I didn't look like this and I did not gain much weight since then. Also, it feels different than fat, it is stiff and thick and heavy.

I've become so self-conscious about it that I don't go to social events etc because I feel that I do not look my normal self, I do not have my real face, I have a layer of **** over it that feels like I'm wearing a mask.

Anyway, something is obviously causing this....whether it is diet, dehydration, whatever.

I want to get rid of it, and change whatever caused it so it doesn't come back.

Heis,
You said that eating too much salt is bad and too little is bad (for water weight), so how can one be at an optimal level? Optimal meaning it is as low as possible to not retain more water than needed, but not low enough to trigger Aldosterone

Heisman2
04-30-2016, 08:08 PM
Heis,
You said that eating too much salt is bad and too little is bad (for water weight), so how can one be at an optimal level? Optimal meaning it is as low as possible to not retain more water than needed, but not low enough to trigger Aldosterone

I was just explaining the actions of ADH and aldosterone for general knowledge. I'm a medical student. If I saw you as a patient I would ask to see a picture of your face before it started looking different to see if I also see a change, as the fact you are unwilling to go out because of this makes me think to some degree there is a psychological component of this. I have never read up on how the body carries water weight but I somewhat doubt it would only be in your face. Having said that, if you want to find a weight cutting article online that describes safely how to cut down say 5-10 pounds in 1-2 days (as that would be almost all water), then go ahead and try it and see what happens. There are medical things that could cause a puffy face (ie, moon facies with cushing's disease), but this would affect many parts of your body, not your face. Have you asked people who knew you a few years ago if they have noticed a difference?