PDA

View Full Version : Fat burner after ACL surgery

yankeefan81094
04-27-2016, 10:48 PM
My friend is about to have ACL surgery, he says he will possibly take pain killers the first couple of days depending on how he feels. He has always struggled with his weight as he gains it easily, he is about 180 lb and is a husky guy. He's a body builder and is really passionate about it as he takes plenty of supplements to keep up with his body and is constantly at the gym and talking about it. Pretty much, he has been scared that after the surgery he is going to gain weight from just sitting there recovering. He ordered a fat burner with no caffeine and I was basically just wondering if it would be worth it for him to sit there and take them daily and if it would affect his healing or anything in the long run.

mtownballer20
04-28-2016, 03:28 AM
Tell your friend to disregard gains for the time being. His body needs nutrients to recover and heal. I wouldn't recommend eating in a caloric deficit lost surgery. If anything eat a little more.

VO2Maxima
04-28-2016, 03:42 AM
Yeah post-surgery is not really the best time to be thinking about weight loss. His metabolism will be elevated post-surgery, and he'll want to make sure he's eating enough to not slow his recovery.

kornflake7
04-28-2016, 06:27 AM
As others have said it's not optimal to be taking a fat burner during his recovery. I've had two acl surgeries+various other ligaments in there and you just need to rest and he needs to just watch his diet. I was in the gym on crutches after a week off, they do have cardio machines just using your arms that he can do as well if he is that worried. Biggest thing is recovering and getting range of motion health for his knee so he isn't stuck being able to do certain things limited legs.

wishiwasdivin
04-28-2016, 07:40 AM
I wouldn't worry about weight loss just focus on healing

Partyrocking
04-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Trying to lose weight if he's immobile (or at the very least not working out as he was before) is a good way to lose muscle mass. He should try to eat to maintain his weight and let his body get better.

jhouser
04-28-2016, 10:24 AM
He will be much better off if he stops worrying about his body composition for the time being and focuses only on the ACL recovery. There's nothing that will happen in the time span of a few short weeks that he can't make-up for in the same number of weeks once he is healthy.

In other words: don't bother with the fat burner, don't worry about a little bit of weight gain, and wait until he's fully mobile again before worrying about body composition.

SkyFlight23
04-28-2016, 11:42 AM
Tell your friend to disregard gains for the time being. His body needs nutrients to recover and heal. I wouldn't recommend eating in a caloric deficit lost surgery. If anything eat a little more.

Quality responses in this thread, including the top one.
Your friend, in the long run, should just focus on healing.
Assuming he's around your age, he has his whole life ahead of him to get back in shape.

emergency
04-28-2016, 01:26 PM
advise him to stick with his docs instructions .