PDA

View Full Version : Need help and advice. How to fight cravings/cheat days

cstuthers
04-20-2016, 10:20 AM
So I am fairly new to the fitness lifestyle. I have been working out for 3 months now, I work out 6 days a week for at least an hour a day. My results have been great so far and I was doing good with my diet and everything until recently. So for breakfast I have a fruit smoothie (mix of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango, pineapple. No sugar added. And 100% orange juice.) Then for lunch I will have "dinner" so I will have a big meal with meats, potatoes, veggies, bread. Then when I get home from work I do my 1 hour+ workouts (or at the gym depending on the day). Then I just have my protein shake for dinner(post workout). I do it this way so I am not getting very many calories and can lose weight. My workouts are different everyday. I do Total Body, Plyometrics, Arms, Pilates/abs, Legs and Cardio. A mix of 2 each day. So I was doing really well with this until the last couple of weeks. It's like I will eat right for 4-5 days straight, and then for a day or two I will have absolutely no self control. I feel like I'm starving, I have sweet tooth cravings, I want to eat everything in sight, constant feeling to snack. I hate this, it feels like I am taking 10 steps back on days like this. But it seems after I over eat these couple of days then I can go back to my calorie deficient diet for a few days without any problems. I don't like this rollercoaster and I need a diet that is more stable, reliable, and filling. Also if you know of some meal replacements or low calorie snacks that fill you up so you don't have cravings? Again I am new to all of this so please no judging and I appreciate you all taking the time to read!

dipatel13
04-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Try incorporating those foods you crave into your daily diet provided you can still hit your macros and micros.

IIFYM/DCA (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471)

Cshall98
04-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Tldr, I find that protein bars like quest bars or MetRx bars work well when you feel like eating something sweet. They taste great, and have 20g's of protein per 170-190 cals.

MrNope
04-20-2016, 10:28 AM
You said you've been making progress, losing weight, etc. What's the worry? Maybe whatever it is you're snacking on is keeping you sane, and keeping you going long term. Going really intense on your diet for the 4-5 days might actually cause the 1-2 day mass cravings. Instead, grab a little treat each day within your calories to keep you going, and maybe you'll avoid the cravings.

I guess to answer your question: my personal choice of low-cal snacks: carrots, rice cakes, apple/banana, green tea, tuna, beef jerkey/turkey jerkey, greek yogurt.

PendlayRow8500
04-20-2016, 10:31 AM
Sugar free gum
Diet soda
Water enhancers
Walden farms syrup mixed in a protein shake or oatmeal
Protein bars
Kashi bars
100 calorie snack packs
Homemade tortilla pizza OR lean cuisine pizza
Healthy harvest lasagna (look it up)
Walden farms anything

cstuthers
04-20-2016, 10:53 AM
You said you've been making progress, losing weight, etc. What's the worry? Maybe whatever it is you're snacking on is keeping you sane, and keeping you going long term. Going really intense on your diet for the 4-5 days might actually cause the 1-2 day mass cravings. Instead, grab a little treat each day within your calories to keep you going, and maybe you'll avoid the cravings.

I guess to answer your question: my personal choice of low-cal snacks: carrots, rice cakes, apple/banana, green tea, tuna, beef jerkey/turkey jerkey, greek yogurt.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I have been at a stand-still recently on my weight loss also. I feel like it's probably related to my binge-eating days. Or gaining muscle but not losing fat? I'm not sure. My go-to cravings are chocolate so there's my issue lol. Thanks for the advice though! I will stock up on the healthier alternatives ;)

cstuthers
04-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Thank you everyone for the tips. I will be grocery shopping soon and will look for all the suggestions above :) you guys are awesome

gbullock32
04-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Thank you everyone for the tips. I will be grocery shopping soon and will look for all the suggestions above :) you guys are awesomehttp://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142169791

Protein fluff, very filling and very low calories; tastes as good as you make it.