PDA

View Full Version : No fruits in your meal plan..what do u think its good for you or not?

oklady
04-15-2016, 05:32 AM
I need your help, I have trainer who start work with me with my meal and I have No fruits there at all.. when i ask him why in my meals don't have any fruits he told me its " nature candy" too much sugar and i can't have it.. what you think about it?

Ravax
04-15-2016, 05:41 AM
I need your help, I have trainer who start work with me with my meal and I have No fruits there at all.. when i ask him why in my meals don't have any fruits he told me its " nature candy" too much sugar and i can't have it.. what you think about it?

Fruits, ill just have 6-7 goji berries every two days with yogurt. I take a good multi-vitamin to compensate. Yeah fruits have a lot of sugar and carbs from my understanding, and so far i've been doing great without them. Ill have some fruits with a cheat meal though! At a restaurant or something (fruit salad, etc...)

oklady
04-15-2016, 05:45 AM
Fruits, ill just have 6-7 goji berries every two days with yogurt. I take a good multi-vitamin to compensate. Yeah fruits have a lot of sugar and carbs from my understanding, and so far i've been doing great without them. Ill have some fruits with a cheat meal though! At a restaurant or something (fruit salad, etc...)

you right like I understand fruits have a lot sugar.. but why everywhere say about apples help losing weight..

Melis689
04-15-2016, 05:54 AM
Apples don't necessarily help with losing weight, because weight loss is simply down to calories. There are a lot of myths about foods that can make you lose weight etc. Fruit does tend to have a high sugar content so I try to avoid lots of it. I do have some blueberries here and there, and bananas for energy before workouts sometimes. I love apples with pb too. Everything is fine in moderation and fruits do carry a lot of nutrients.. Just avoid eating a full punnet of strawberries daily.

Partyrocking
04-15-2016, 06:00 AM
It sounds like your trainer doesn't know what he's talking about. I'd be skeptical of any diet (or training) advice he gives you tbh.

oklady
04-15-2016, 06:35 AM
It sounds like your trainer doesn't know what he's talking about. I'd be skeptical of any diet (or training) advice he gives you tbh.
why?

NotThereYet25
04-15-2016, 06:53 AM
why?

because what he told you is nonsense.

Jcart159
04-15-2016, 07:34 AM
why?

The sugar found in fruit is perfectly fine to consume, that's why.

The only sugars you want to maybe avoid are added sugars, and even a little bit in your diet is fine.

In other words, your trainer sucks.

desslok
04-15-2016, 07:35 AM

Sounds like he may be one of them carbophobes. Hard to see really without seeing your calorie and macro breakdown. But moral is don't believe broscience and wives tales just because some "trainer" said it. 99.9% of trainers give the rest of them a bad name.

ironwill2008
04-15-2016, 07:52 AM
I need your help, I have trainer who start work with me with my meal and I have No fruits there at all.. when i ask him why in my meals don't have any fruits he told me its " nature candy" too much sugar and i can't have it..

........what you think about it?

I think your "trainer" is clueless about nutriton. Fruit is loaded with micronutrients; the natural sugars in them are perfectly fine to consume in moderation, the same as all other healthy food choices.

You'd do well to stop taking any further advices from this person.

PendlayRow8500
04-15-2016, 07:58 AM
I'd shoot for two servings of fruit AND two servings of vegetables a day to get adequate micronutrient intake, and be sure to choose different fruits and veggies so you get the benefits of all of them, but pick ones YOU like.

Also, a meal plan is not necessary, figure out what your calories need to be. Second, set a protein minimum of 0.8 g per pound of Bodyweight a day. Third, set a fat minimum of 0.5 g per pound of bodyweight a day. Carbs are not necessary, so you won't set a minimum for them. The rest of your calories can be whatever foods you like.

Mrpb
04-15-2016, 08:06 AM

Get a different trainer.

http://www.ergo-log.com/optimal-fruit-and-veg-intake-a-pound-a-day-meta-study.html

AdamWW
04-15-2016, 08:14 AM
As soon as he said "nature's candy" I would have stormed out :)

Fruits are great, I usually have a serving with each meal. Nice way to cleanse the palate and I love the variety of choices... especially strawberries, pears, and blueberries.

AdamWW
04-15-2016, 08:15 AM
I'd shoot for two servings of fruit AND two servings of vegetables a day to get adequate micronutrient intake, and be sure to choose different fruits and veggies so you get the benefits of all of them, but pick ones YOU like.

Also, a meal plan is not necessary, figure out what your calories need to be. Second, set a protein minimum of 0.8 g per pound of Bodyweight a day. Third, set a fat minimum of 0.5 g per pound of bodyweight a day. Carbs are not necessary, so you won't set a minimum for them. The rest of your calories can be whatever foods you like.

The recommendation is for more than 5 total servings... more like 9-10.

Elokuu
04-15-2016, 08:28 AM
Get a different trainer.

http://www.ergo-log.com/optimal-fruit-and-veg-intake-a-pound-a-day-meta-study.html

Very useful information, thank you!

I have just counted my fruit and vegetables intake weight for curiosity and it turned out I eat around 1 kg of them every day (including 15 grams of honey). Do you think it's too much and/or could potentially cause issues in the long term?

Jcart159
04-15-2016, 08:32 AM

I have just counted my fruit and vegetables intake weight for curiosity and it turned out I eat around 1 kg of them every day (including 15 grams of honey). Do you think it's too much and/or could potentially cause issues in the long term?

Could what potentially cause issues in the long term? The fact that you eat lots of food loaded with nutrients?

Dafuq?

Elokuu
04-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Could what potentially cause issues in the long term? The fact that you eat lots of food loaded with nutrients?

Dafuq?

No, I'm not referring to that. For instance, the first things that come to my mind are a possible excess of fibers, or eventual consequences on the correct functioning of the bowel.

AngusPeppered
04-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Just lol. Anything in moderation is alright. Fruits are awesome for micronutrients too. It is all about the Cals anyways as long as you don't eat like complete chit

Mrpb
04-15-2016, 08:48 AM

Nah. If that's what you prefer go with it.

atgbrahsrs
04-15-2016, 08:49 AM
he just wants to give u candy of his own nomsayin

desslok
04-15-2016, 09:41 AM

You don't NEED fruit, but there is also nothing wrong with it.

Elokuu
04-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Nah. If that's what you prefer go with it.

Well, apart from having to **** every morning and losing 2kg of gainz... I really, really like the variety vegetables and fruit offer. Thanks anyway, I think way much higher amounts than 1kg can be harmful.

To the OP - Stay safe, eat the fruit and vegetables you prefer and disregard such piece of advice, which is bad.

chemo29
04-15-2016, 09:56 AM
I'll probably the only one to admit as such, but I somewhat agree with your trainer. IMO there are better ways to fill your calories than fruits (not that there is anything wrong with them)

I don't eat fruits, but it's not because they're too high in sugar, rather because my TDEE is that of an average man, but my appetite is that of a ****ing ogre in rut. I'd rather eat large amounts of vegetables than a small amount of fruits to get my micros.
Sure I'll eat fruits once in a while, but then again I'm in Canada, so any fruit making it here 60% of the year has traveled so much that it's basically void of any micro

PendlayRow8500
04-15-2016, 09:57 AM
You don't NEED fruit, but there is also nothing wrong with it.

For body composition and bodybuilding, you're right. Just the health benefits of fruit would make me want to eat it.

Although you can get many of the same nutrients from vegetables. Not sure about the phytonutrients, however. All irrevelant for body composition, though.

BurritoJ
04-15-2016, 10:11 AM

Does this trainer have good results with his/her clients? Do you want to keep this trainer or fire him/her? If you went to the trouble and expense of hiring a trainer then just do what they say or fire them and choose another that has good results with their clients and do exactly what they say.

Domicron
04-15-2016, 10:31 AM
I'll probably the only one to admit as such, but I somewhat agree with your trainer. IMO there are better ways to fill your calories than fruits (not that there is anything wrong with them)

I don't eat fruits, but it's not because they're too high in sugar, rather because my TDEE is that of an average man, but my appetite is that of a ****ing ogre in rut. I'd rather eat large amounts of vegetables than a small amount of fruits to get my micros.
Sure I'll eat fruits once in a while, but then again I'm in Canada, so any fruit making it here 60% of the year has traveled so much that it's basically void of any micro

i think it depends on what kind of fruit you have access to vs enjoy, but i see where you're coming from. i try to get a little bit of fruit each day, though most of the time i don't. i focus more on trying to eat enough vegetables. (lately trying to eat more legumes)

how you eat fruit is significant. my dad will sometimes peel and slice a big bowl of mangos, kiwi, pear, strawberries, whatever else is ripe. it's delicious, but the amount of calories and sugar you're able to eat all at once is pretty staggering. better than eating a ton of cake or whatever, but it's still a lot of calories. my mom sometimes will blend fruit smoothies and it's pretty much the same thing.

Mrpb
04-15-2016, 10:39 AM
The argument "too much sugar" doesn't make sense IMO. First of all sugar isn't harmful. Second, there are many fruits relatively low in sugar.

If you're in a deficit there might not be much room for bananas but strawberries and blueberries won't be a problem. And the good part, besides the micros, is that fruit tends to be quite satiating.

Elokuu
04-15-2016, 11:04 AM
The argument "too much sugar" doesn't make sense IMO. First of all sugar isn't harmful. Second, there are many fruits relatively low in sugar.

If you're in a deficit there might not be much room for bananas but strawberries and blueberries won't be a problem. And the good part, besides the micros, is that fruit tends to be quite satiating.

I can confirm. Give me an apple and I can stay satisfied for long.

Also, OP, think about the variety of micronutrients you can get by rotating the types of fruit you eat when and if you like. Potassium from bananas and kiwis, vitamin C from oranges, flavonoids from apples and berries (like those contained in green tea, cocoa, etc.), and so on...

Mrpb
04-15-2016, 11:17 AM
I can confirm. Give me an apple and I can stay satisfied for long.

Same here. Apples, crazy satiety. Sometimes even annoys me when bulking.

desslok
04-15-2016, 11:26 AM
For body composition and bodybuilding, you're right. Just the health benefits of fruit would make me want to eat it.

Although you can get many of the same nutrients from vegetables. Not sure about the phytonutrients, however. All irrevelant for body composition, though.

For health, micronutrients and phytonutrients overall, you are most likely better off with vegetables, especially if you eat purple/red varieties of vegetables. But again, its probably a good idea to get a wide variety of both if possible.

bjl0v3s
04-16-2016, 02:30 AM

this, i dont eat fruits much, not because of the sugar, but i prefer getting my micronutrients from vegetables rather than fruits. higher volumes with less calories, higher profile of micronutritients.

Oinkerjnn
04-16-2016, 04:39 AM
Sounds like he may be one of them carbophobes. Hard to see really without seeing your calorie and macro breakdown. But moral is don't believe broscience and wives tales just because some "trainer" said it. 99.9% of trainers give the rest of them a bad name.

So much this.

Fruit is amazing. Jammed with nutrients and vitamins, generally low calorie, and tastes delicious. He is right, it's natures candy.

Been cutting with amazing results last month or so, eat at least three servings of fruit a day.

Oinkerjnn
04-16-2016, 04:49 AM
No, I'm not referring to that. For instance, the first things that come to my mind are a possible excess of fibers, or eventual consequences on the correct functioning of the bowel.
I seriously hope you're trolling with this nonsense.

Mrpb
04-16-2016, 05:01 AM

Consuming too much fiber can be a realistic issue for some individuals.

this, i dont eat fruits much, not because of the sugar, but i prefer getting my micronutrients from vegetables rather than fruits. higher volumes with less calories, higher profile of micronutritients.

Nah. Higher volume yeah, but certain fruits deliver high amount of micronutrients at low calories and include certain phytonutrients with unique health benefits.

And no offense meant but at 5'9", 134 lbs you could benefit from including fruit in your diet. You can use the calories and it's delicious and nutritious.

Also, fructose has specific benefits for athletes.

http://www.nutritiontactics.com/why-fructose-is-beneficial-for-athletes/

Elokuu
04-16-2016, 09:55 AM

Thank you very much for the appreciation. Please read what Mrpb said.

Kind regards.

EjnarKolinkar
04-16-2016, 10:14 AM
For health, micronutrients and phytonutrients overall, you are most likely better off with vegetables, especially if you eat purple/red varieties of vegetables. But again, its probably a good idea to get a wide variety of both if possible.

Good advice here. I see no reason not to enjoy both. If I miss eating fruit one day I don't get the shakes than my phyto/micro nutrients will all dry up.

I tend to enjoy what I find in the produce section that looks good, is in season, or on special that week.

Variety is the spice of life.

MitkoKazakov
04-16-2016, 10:25 AM

It's true that there's a lot of fructose in some fruits so if you're trying to shed fat you don't wanna go overboard with fruit consumption but to cut them out completely just seems like too much. I'd just limit my consumtion to 1-2 pieces of fruit a day if fat loss was my goal. Most importantly as strength coach Charles Poliquin says you have to earn your carbs, meaning go hard in the gym.

Cheers.

-Mitko

DGMan99
04-16-2016, 03:03 PM
For some reason my account had been spazzing out, and I couldn't post. But I wanted to also say fire your trainer. To bad everybody beat me to it :(