PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Dieting from cut to bulk (input from experience only)

GSXRMax
04-13-2016, 01:16 PM
sup guys. finishing my cut in 2 days. went PSMF the past 2 weeks

900cal on off days
1400cal on gym days

i'm looking to bulk at 2600cal (TDEE is 2300) and i planned on adding 200cal per week until i hit the goal. i'm also slowly adding carbs back into my diet so around 100cal of that will be from carbs (20-30g each week)

also adding cardio to gym days to keep the fat down but nothing intense. maybe burn around 100cal each session.

any issues with my plan? should i reverse faster or slower? i have a tendency to get bloated when i eat more than 100g of carbs and it kills my mood in the gym(lower vascularity despite better pump. psychological)

rep and love for experienced input.

Znik
04-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Straight to maintenance, carbs would be preferable due to glycogen replenishment priority, but if it kills your mood go with fat/carb increase and gradually adjust towards carbs.

If you have noticed significant NEAT/SPA/Gym performance (or anything affecting TDEE) drops during the PSMF start with 2000 or so for the first few days/week and bump em up the second week.

Took me 2-3 days of maintenance before NEAT levels came back after my PSMF.

GSXRMax
04-13-2016, 01:50 PM
word. with my fairly low TDEE i didn't want to make a huge jump right away but i may jump to 1800-2000 then slowly add more. lost a lot of strength during entire cut, not just psmf, so i'm expecting a solid rebound the first month or two and my NEAT should kick up a bit as well.

also going back on the creatine this week so that plus carbs will be a nice push for me.

Znik
04-13-2016, 02:04 PM
The main goal is to just get out of the deficit as fast as possible as it's the deficit that's fkin up everything, faster you hit maintenance the faster stuff rebounds.

If you are terrified of fat gain then taking it a tad slower is ok, but even if you overshoot by 100-200kcal the fat gain is going to be minute(due to glycogen replenishment,gradual NEAT increase,gym intensity blablabla) since you aren't coming from 4% bodyfat (from where you gain fat like crazy).

GSXRMax
04-13-2016, 02:07 PM
noted bro. i managed to get down to around 12-13%. look like crap from holding water and looser skin, but i want my strength to at least be on par again.

will be using my deadlift to gauge gains since my bench was always weak to begin with(shoulder probs)

oncewasinshape
04-13-2016, 03:20 PM
noted bro. i managed to get down to around 12-13%. look like crap from holding water and looser skin, but i want my strength to at least be on par again.

will be using my deadlift to gauge gains since my bench was always weak to begin with(shoulder probs)

Just popped in to say good luck on the bulk bud!

Serpentarius
04-13-2016, 03:45 PM
How long were you in the deficit?

GSXRMax
04-13-2016, 06:33 PM
9 months

Serpentarius
04-13-2016, 07:04 PM
I would eat at maintenance for 3 weeks based on that timeframe of total deficit, 50 calories a day for every 1/10 lb lost a week (disregarding PSMF numbers that throw body weight off significantly). You need to be extremely cautious if your counting is good to figure out your new projected maintenance, so you dont waste time, from where you were with the additional fat mass before.
You shouldnt have a big rebound if you dont have a large carb intake except for GI tract weight, which should stabilize after a couple days anyhow if you are getting the extra cals from fat (personally wouldnt eat more protein due to cost and not being necessary).
I feel one should do a week of maintenance for every month of a deficit up to three weeks maximum. Its too hard to get any data from people who compete because they are prone to binging hard after being in a chronic deficit and extremely low BF being the prime reason.

Choccy13
04-14-2016, 12:40 AM

I'll be following this thread as I'm about 10-12 weeks behind you. I too have a shoulder problem (separated shoulder) so will see how you get on with the BP.

Good luck with the bulk.

Choccy...

Beerculez
04-14-2016, 01:49 AM
Reverse dieting is not needed. Jump straight to maintainance or a low surplus.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-reverse-dieting-debate-ft-eric-helms-layne-norton-peter-fischen/

bicepsflex
04-14-2016, 01:54 AM
Honestly even though reverse dieting isn't needed I really like it. It helped me keep getting leaner while increasing calories and gaining strength felt good man.

staceywipiti
04-14-2016, 04:26 AM
9 months deficit? holy **** you must do your cuts slowly, I would hate that, I have to do mine fast (3 to 4 month ) cuz being in deficit sucks

DJohnson
04-14-2016, 08:27 AM
Give it a go and let us know. There's been talk lately with the articles about reverse dieting setting competitors up to failure but most of that is talking contest prep.

Obviously it won't get your hormones back to normal as fast as you could but I could easily imagine it would help the transition of a long cut to a bulk without fat gain. Especially since after so long it's tough to know what your true maintenance would be.

Groce
04-14-2016, 08:35 AM
9 monthsbrutal

GSXRMax
04-15-2016, 06:15 AM
9 months deficit? holy **** you must do your cuts slowly, I would hate that, I have to do mine fast (3 to 4 month ) cuz being in deficit sucks

brutal

yeh :'(

but i cut 80 lbs. so it was a moderate/fast cut, just took a long time.

thanks guys. i've read articles on reverse dietting and jumping back. just wanted input from people who tried it and whether it was a waste of time considering it would add 2 extra weeks onto my training that wouldn't be spent bulking. i'll jump to perceived maintenance and go from there.

patriciaalves
04-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Following as well because I'm not sure where I stand regarding the effectiveness / usefulness of a "reverse diet" after a cut versus jumping right up to predicted maintenance or slightly below.

GreenChile10
04-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Depending on how your body reacts to creatine, you might want to wait until after you've figured out your bulking calories to start it. That way you can attribute weight gain to increased intake alone and not be wondering how much is due to the creatine. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for creatine, but it would eliminate one variable from the equation if you're worried about fat gain.

That said, I'll be following your progress also because I'll be considering the same approach in about 6 weeks. Good luck dude

GSXRMax
04-15-2016, 09:28 AM
Depending on how your body reacts to creatine, you might want to wait until after you've figured out your bulking calories to start it. That way you can attribute weight gain to increased intake alone and not be wondering how much is due to the creatine. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for creatine, but it would eliminate one variable from the equation if you're worried about fat gain.

That said, I'll be following your progress also because I'll be considering the same approach in about 6 weeks. Good luck dude

good input! when i last used creatine then stopped, i dropped about 6lbs that week. since my weight loss was roughly 2lbs per week i'd say creatine attributes about 3 lbs when i've hit full saturation

GreenChile10
04-15-2016, 09:44 AM
good input! when i last used creatine then stopped, i dropped about 6lbs that week. since my weight loss was roughly 2lbs per week i'd say creatine attributes about 3 lbs when i've hit full saturation

Well since you have a pretty good idea about your creatine weight gain, never mind. I'd be ready to jump back on it too. And 3 lbs isn't that bad...it swells me up a lot more than that! My upper body looks great but my gut is noticeably slushier at first lol