PDA

View Full Version : Quick, easy, pre-workout food?

clokwise
04-13-2016, 10:59 AM
I am a morning gym goer. I wake up around 5am, get dressed and head to the gym. I don't typically eat before strength training, but keep being told I should. So its worth a shot. Whats some quick easy suggestions to grab and go for the gym? Quick and easy is key because i go early so I can make it to work on time.

Thanks!

JohnMariettePT
04-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Tuna Sandwich? Eggs in a tortilla? Something like that you are looking for? Or a liquid meal? Either way just make sure you can digest it before working out.

clokwise
04-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Tuna Sandwich? Eggs in a tortilla? Something like that you are looking for? Or a liquid meal? Either way just make sure you can digest it before working out.
Thanks. Are the carbs and protein as necessary or mostly the protein? Would a glass of milk? or just a boiled egg do the trick?

chazzy1864
04-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Personally, when I was a morning lifter (about 50% of my lifting 'career') I never ate anything. Took a short period to get used to fasted workouts, but after a week or two, had no issues. I'd just take my preworkout and head to the gym.

clokwise
04-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Personally, when I was a morning lifter (about 50% of my lifting 'career') I never ate anything. Took a short period to get used to fasted workouts, but after a week or two, had no issues. I'd just take my preworkout and head to the gym.This is how I normally do it. Actually how I've always done it. I've hit a HUGE rut, or plateau, whichever way you want to look at it. So I am trying hard to make some subtle changes that might help me bust through it. This was my next thing to try.

k9pit
04-13-2016, 12:08 PM
If you are used to working out on an empty stomach, then I'd suggest something like Orange Juice or blended fruits. In other words, drinkable carbs.

I personally workout early-to-mid afternoon and only drink OJ prior to working out.

clokwise
04-13-2016, 01:16 PM
If you are used to working out on an empty stomach, then I'd suggest something like Orange Juice or blended fruits. In other words, drinkable carbs.

I personally workout early-to-mid afternoon and only drink OJ prior to working out.So the carbs are the more important portion?

And I wish I could workout mid-afternoon. Getting up at 5am isnt my favorite thing to do, but gotta do it if I wanna get it in.

aarnal01
04-13-2016, 01:27 PM
I wake up at 6:00AM and I'm at the gym warming up in the squat rack by 6:30. I chug a pre-workout right after getting up and then eat a banana at 6:15 just to kill the hunger pangs before lifting. Works well, but I'm usually way hungry by the time I get home at 8:00.

SeanFxxx
04-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Coffee with a little coconut oil

KaiSchafroth
04-13-2016, 01:47 PM
I get up at 4am and get to the gym around 20-30min later. Normally I have a banana or two and a few honey sticks on my drive in. That puts something in my system without dropping a ton of food in my gut (which I personally don't do well with). Really is personal preference; you'll have to play around with it a bit probably. While it is buying more supplements, you could easily have a shake on the way to the gym with a scoop of some powdered carb source if other food options don't seem appealing.

euro7muscle
04-13-2016, 01:49 PM
Quick oats + whey, add fruit for some simple carbs as well

Znik
04-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Whey mixed with milk or a protein bar or two, doesn't get much quicker and easier than that.

If your gym performance is better fasted then that is not necessarily a bad thing, I do most of my workouts fasted as my morning appetite sucks and lifting with food in my stomach sucks.

clokwise
04-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Whey mixed with milk or a protein bar or two, doesn't get much quicker and easier than that.

If your gym performance is better fasted then that is not necessarily a bad thing, I do most of my workouts fasted as my morning appetite sucks and lifting with food in my stomach sucks.I actually see no difference in performance. Nor do I get hungry while at the gym. I always eat a big breakfast right after gym. Both because its post-workout and because its breakfast time before work :)