PDA

View Full Version : Skinny fat - Should I bulk?

Valf90
04-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Hello, I'm working out at home 3-4 time/week for 2 months now, my prime goal was to lose fat. I did lose fat, but I dropped to 145 lbs for 6 feet and my love handles and belly are still here, I gained some muscles however despite the caloric deficit.
I realized that my problem is that I'm skinny fat which means I don't have much muscles so to lose this fat I'd have to drop very low which would be stupid. So I decided to stop dietting and instead getting 2500 calories/ day, keep working out to build muscles, I'll of course get fat aswell but my goal is on the long term, I'll cut later. Is it the right way? Also, can I take 10-20% of my calories from lets say chocolate, honey and peanut butter, 2500 calories are a lot for me.

Znik
04-10-2016, 01:56 PM
If you are 6 feet @ 145lbs then yes you should bulk, cant be much of you left.

Valf90
04-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Well, I guess this cutting when I shouldn't have isn't that bad, I discovered I enjoy working out, saw transformation on my body and din't find it hard to eat 1800 calories/day.
I guess bulking would give me more strenght and make more muscles. I have two questions :

1. Is sprinting considered as cardio like jogging or is it good to build muscles? I know jogging should be minimum.
2. If I eat clean and workout and get 2 lbs/month, what % of this would be muscle and what would be fat?

magician27
04-10-2016, 02:37 PM
1. Is sprinting considered as cardio like jogging or is it good to build muscles? I know jogging should be minimum.
2. If I eat clean and workout and get 2 lbs/month, what % of this would be muscle and what would be fat?

1 - if you are able to sustain it for longer than 30-40 seconds its not gonna build anything.
2- nobody can tell you, depends on genetics, how proper you are lifting , how hard you are pushing yourself. best case 60-65%/35-40 % muscle /fat water etc. if its your first year of lifting

Valf90
04-10-2016, 03:08 PM
1 - if you are able to sustain it for longer than 30-40 seconds its not gonna build anything.
2- nobody can tell you, depends on genetics, how proper you are lifting , how hard you are pushing yourself. best case 60-65%/35-40 % muscle /fat water etc. if its your first year of lifting

Thanks, this seems a good %, I was thinking about 25% but if during my bulking I can get 50% muscles that would make a lot, like gaining 10 lbs of which 5 are muscles will surely help me to be in shape one day, but I have another question (sorry if it's not the place) : lets say I get 10 lbs of muscles and 10 lbs of fat and I decide to cut to become lean, during the process of losing fat is the muscle loss low or big?

magician27
04-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Thanks, this seems a good %, I was thinking about 25% but if during my bulking I can get 50% muscles that would make a lot, like gaining 10 lbs of which 5 are muscles will surely help me to be in shape one day, but I have another question (sorry if it's not the place) : lets say I get 10 lbs of muscles and 10 lbs of fat and I decide to cut to become lean, during the process of losing fat is the muscle loss low or big?

depends on how drastic you cut calories , whether your nutrition is proper and whether you can maintain the intensity with training with caloric deficit. you wont lose 3-5 lbs muscle if you do it correctly but you will lose some small amount. nothing big if you do it correctly

allrnder
04-10-2016, 07:07 PM
6 feet @ 145lbs damn. Were you a cast member on the walking dead?
Jokes.

I am going to say lift properly and eat more.

Valf90
04-10-2016, 08:45 PM
depends on how drastic you cut calories , whether your nutrition is proper and whether you can maintain the intensity with training with caloric deficit. you wont lose 3-5 lbs muscle if you do it correctly but you will lose some small amount. nothing big if you do it correctly

Ok thanks I start to understand the basics to build my body. I'll keep my routine, maybe add some weight more to my dumbells when the muscles are going to grow. I will also focus on getting 7 lbs as fast as possible. Is it ok if I add 500-1000 "junk calories" /day (2300 clean calories + 500-1000 junk calories) until reaching 154 lbs, then keeping it clean?

Smitzeh
04-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Ok thanks I start to understand the basics to build my body. I'll keep my routine, maybe add some weight more to my dumbells when the muscles are going to grow. I will also focus on getting 7 lbs as fast as possible. Is it ok if I add 500-1000 "junk calories" /day (2300 clean calories + 500-1000 junk calories) until reaching 154 lbs, then keeping it clean?

1. What routine are you on?
2. There's no need to do this, most of it will be fat gain. While you are at this low of a weight you may as well slow bulk.
3. Food is food. Don't think of anything as junk/clean, as long as you're hitting your minimum macros and getting sufficient micronutrients eat whatever you enjoy (within some reason).

allrnder
04-10-2016, 09:23 PM

Junk calories? You mean from fast food or something? Fast food also has essential nutritional content. Don't think of them as junk. Think of "junk" food as a sub optimal source of food but still good for you.

Mrpb
04-10-2016, 10:24 PM
145 lbs @ 6 feet, bulk at 2 pounds per month.

Follow a good program like Fierce 5 Novice routine.

Valf90
04-10-2016, 10:50 PM
1. What routine are you on?
2. There's no need to do this, most of it will be fat gain. While you are at this low of a weight you may as well slow bulk.
3. Food is food. Don't think of anything as junk/clean, as long as you're hitting your minimum macros and getting sufficient micronutrients eat whatever you enjoy (within some reason).

My routine is 3-4/week workout push-ups and dumbell exercices,

3x 15 knuckles push ups
3x 15 dumbbell chest press ground
3x 15 dumbbell high pull
3x 15 curl dumbbell
3x 15 bent-Over One Arm Dumbbell Rows
3x 10 dumbbell military press

I recently started to add :
+ squats, shrugs
+ butterfly dumbbell and some other exercices with light dumbbels

When I talk about junk calories, I talk about chocolate bars, doughnuts, fries, adding sauces to my food and so on. Basically food that have high caloric content and that are easily eaten.

allrnder
04-10-2016, 10:55 PM

3x 15 knuckles push ups
3x 15 dumbbell high pull
3x 15 curl dumbbell

+ squats, shrugs

When I talk about junk calories, I talk about chocolate bars, doughnuts, fries, adding sauces to my food and so on. Basically food that have high caloric content and that are easily eaten.

Or you could do what is said in post #11

Avocado and eggs are high in calories, so are almonds and other nuts. does not make them "junk"

Shureshock
04-11-2016, 01:40 AM

3x 15 knuckles push ups
3x 15 dumbbell high pull
3x 15 curl dumbbell

+ squats, shrugs

Fierce 5 would bet you better progress, you need to push more weight/incorporate compound movements