PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of my journey(kinda) and the Pursuit of my dream Physique.

RogueRedFive
03-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Hello Bodybuilding.com forum goers! been a long time creeper, mostly because I know I'm most likely going to get ripped on for my crappy physique but everyone starts somewhere right? Anyway...I've been hitting the gym moderately hard for about a year or close to a year but stopped for a few months in between so realistically I've probably got a good solid 6-8 months of training in. Five days a week with a chest/triceps-back/biceps/-legs/shoulders-upper then lower then switched to a chest/back-arms-legs-upper-lower with weak points and have been enjoying those splits. following my fitness pal and getting decent results with a 50/30/20 ratio on macros and a caloric deficit of 1819 calories a day. A lot of my friends and family are noticing my physique slowly changing and im getting compliments out the wahzoo when I'm out and about when I decide to have an occasional drink or two on a Saturday night but its just not enough for me! I'm 5-7 and weigh 160-165. I started at 175 so I know I've been doing well and im getting more definition in some areas but im having a hard time dropping body fat! I really want nice abs lol. just staying at around 20% and I would like to get to 10%. would it be possible to achieve this in a 6 month time span? eventually I would like to compete in a men's physique competition. I don't even care if I win first. I just want a medal to show how hard I've worked and how far I've come.
So now that you know a little about me and what I've done so far. I've got a few questions.:
1. best way to lean down while maintaining muscle mass I've gained.
2. what weight and body fat percentage should I be at before I should consider competing?
3. should I focus on strength gains in correlation to my physique? I.e, the guy who benches and shoulder presses more will look better?

My current weight lifting stats:
bench PR-200 lbs for 2 reps (usually just bench 110lbs 4 sets for 10 reps) I know...bench sucks
dumbbell shoulder press-PR 70lbs for 6 reps
deadlift PR-235 for 3 reps (usually 200lbs for 6-8 reps 3 sets)

thanks guys and gals! :P

Krisreily
03-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Good on you man! Its not about 'ripping on' people. We all start somewhere. You've got quite a high BF % to start with. If your looking to make the gains your wanting your going to need to commit..alot. This means nutrition and in the gym. Every body is different but i would be using a 5 day split. Exciting times ! Good luck

RogueRedFive
03-25-2016, 10:51 AM
thanks Krisreily! and yeah im going to stick to the 5 day split for awhile. any tips for cutting the body fat?

Krisreily
03-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Again, anything i say is just based on what I have found works for me. Im currently sitting at about 9.1% BF and im not wanting to drop any lower at this point. But for me, 20 minutes of cardio at the end of every non leg day helped alot. Some people dont like the whole 'removing the blood from the muscle' thing, which i get. On my off days i would box. Hit the bag for 30 - 40 minutes then call it a day. Most people will say HIIT is the most effective method for shifting that fat. So stair climbers, boxing, sprints that kinda thing. Your watching your calories which is perfect. Let us know how it goes :)

RogueRedFive
03-26-2016, 11:57 AM
Would 20 minutes of cardio on a treadmill on a speed of 8 be good or would you recommend actually doing sprints?

TreacherousOne
04-17-2016, 02:39 PM
For me personally, holding on to a deficit together with heavy resistance training (No cardio at all) is the best way to keep lean mass while dropping BF.

Find a slow and steady pace, watch your results carefully, and if neccesary, add some HIIT in form of explosive sprints while pulling Weight.