PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter what program I run when cutting?

Camneily
03-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Just as the title states: does it matter what type of routine I choose when I'm cutting? I ran Fierce 5 for almost 5 months and saw *some* results (I didn't eat enough as I should have), but now I'm planning on minicutting to burn off this fat around my midsection that I've been holding on to for years (been skinny-fat for awhile). However, I'm not sure what program to run, if it even matters.

Znik
03-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Just as the title states: does it matter what type of routine I choose when I'm cutting? I ran Fierce 5x5 for almost 5 months and saw *some* results (I didn't eat enough as I should have), but now I'm planning on minicutting to burn off this fat around my midsection that I've been holding on to for years (been skinny-fat for awhile). However, I'm not sure what program to run, if it even matters.

You should run the same program, and adjust volume if recovery is poor (3x5 instead of 5x5 etc.) just never , ever reduce the load on the bar unless you absolutely have to.

Camneily
03-20-2016, 03:31 PM
You should run the same program, and adjust volume if recovery is poor (3x5 instead of 5x5 etc.) just never , ever reduce the load on the bar unless you absolutely have to. Well, there's a slight problem. I'm just now switching gyms because the gym I went to before only had smith machines for me to use. This new gym has actual squat racks and benches. I'm afraid I won't be able to lift the same weight as I did when I did my lifts using the smith machines. So, I may just have to reduce the load until I adjust to using actual barbells.

The gym I attended before was Planet Fitness. After 5 months or so of being there, I started to see why people hate on it all the time. It's so damn limiting.

MrM27
03-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Use the same program but this time put the effort in to get the results. Lifting the same weights should not be an issue considering the really didn't make progress the first time.

Znik
03-20-2016, 03:41 PM
Well, there's a slight problem. I'm just now switching gyms because the gym I went to before only had smith machines for me to use. This new gym has actual squat racks and benches. I'm afraid I won't be able to lift the same weight as I did when I did my lifts using the smith machines. So, I may just have to reduce the load until I adjust to using actual barbells.

The gym I attended before was Planet Fitness. After 5 months or so of being there, I started to see why people hate on it all the time. It's so damn limiting.

That kind of switch is fine, it's mostly about lifting with the same intensity(usually means load on bar) as pre-cut. As when that drops so does the high tension stimuli which promotes LBM preservation.

In short it basically means lift heavy stuff and try lift a bit heavier stuff or the same next time, but don't try to lift less heavy stuff.

When changing from smith to free weights it just means you need to lift as heavy as you can and then keep lifting that or higher weight.

oncewasinshape
03-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Remember that smith machine bars can weigh as little as 15 lbs. Adjust accordingly.