PDA

View Full Version : Losing facial fat when skinny

rondonumbanine9
02-22-2016, 10:14 PM
I'm at 5'11 150 lbs, 12% bodyfat (and I'm actually 16). I don't naturally have a chubby face, it used to be a lot more proportionate to the rest of my body. A year ago I tried some dumb poverty bulking diet where I was drinking a gallon of milk a day for 2-3 weeks as an attempt to gain mass/weight. It backfired, I've remained skinny and had a rounder face ever since. Also remember reading somewhere that consuming an excess amount of lactose will form a layer of fat underneath the skin...So it seems the milk was more of a factor in this than my genetics.

Anyway, since spot reduction isn't possible, it looks like losing body fat is my only option. I know I'm already quite skinny now, but I'd much rather get rid of this unnatural fat face first before I start bulking. I've never easily gained fat on my face before until I did the GOMAD thing, but since my face was one of the first places to gain fat does this mean it'll be harder for fat to leave this area when I try to lose body fat? Also, taking my stats into consideration, roughly how many lbs/BF % would have to go down for me to notice a difference? If anyone who has had experience losing body fat could pitch in their opinion on my questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

F1ProStyle
02-22-2016, 10:47 PM
You will see dramatic changes in face shape just keep lifting srs, you are only 18. My face was chubby before 23, now it looks skinny and i'm bulking.

gbullock32
02-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Do not cut at your stats. It would not end well, made a similar mistake at your age...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

rondonumbanine9
02-23-2016, 07:42 AM
Do not cut at your stats. It would not end well, made a similar mistake at your age...

Thanks, I read your thread. But if I get up to 160-165 and still have a chubby face, then would it be possible to cut (I'd be careful about counting my macros etc too)?

Nytmair
02-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Thanks, I read your thread. But if I get up to 160-165 and still have a chubby face, then would it be possible to cut (I'd be careful about counting my macros etc too)?

I would still not recommend it, but it's your choice obviously.

Mrpb
02-23-2016, 07:52 AM
I'm at 5'11 150 lbs, 12% bodyfat (and I'm actually 16).

Bulk, bulk and bulk.

If you want to look less puffy in your face eat less carbs and more fat.

gbullock32
02-23-2016, 07:56 AM
Thanks, I read your thread. But if I get up to 160-165 and still have a chubby face, then would it be possible to cut (I'd be careful about counting my macros etc too)?Worry less about the 'chubby face', it is likely not noticeable to anyone but yourself.

F1ProStyle
02-23-2016, 08:57 AM
Worry less about the 'chubby face', it is likely not noticeable to anyone but yourself.
Or females srs

Kushkiss
02-23-2016, 09:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Xr28WM3.jpg

When I lost weight people began accusing me of facial surgery. They were dead set on the "fact" that I'd either had a nose job or was frauding completely. Keep going op, it can be done

dest0
02-23-2016, 09:08 AM

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

I've read your thread, I wasn't aware. I'm sorry you had to go through this. In life we learn lessons at a cost, and that was yours.

Don't let that get to you, and push through, no matter what the side effects are, at least you're in a much better place now.

@ OP, Don't cut at 16 years old, and 12% BF isn't good for you to maintain at that age.

dest0
02-23-2016, 09:11 AM
When I lost weight people began accusing me of facial surgery. They were dead set on the "fact" that I'd either had a nose job or was frauding completely. Keep going op, it can be done

This is not about you or about your transformation. OP is 16 years old and you're telling him to keep going and lose MORE weight/body fat when he's 12%. Please get more knowledge on the subject before providing such advice. It's NOT the same when you're a teen.

Mrpb
02-23-2016, 09:28 AM
Keep going op, it can be done

Telling a 16 year old at 5'11, 150 lbs, 12% body fat to cut to lose facial fat is dumb advice. I'm tempted to neg but I'll assume you had missed his stats.

atgbrahsrs
02-23-2016, 11:18 AM
OP do not cut if u are 12 percent brah srs

wanna ask you something. have u discussed with your doc the possibility of ur genetic makeup contributing to the crashing test levels ?

When I was 16 I did something very similar to you in a very crash diet style: probably 5 gram trace fats a day and mostly cucumbers and tomatoes, including 3-4 days of fasting and then binging on some cheese. lost 60 lbs in 73 days exactly

2 years later, at 18 my test levels are fine: yesterday got my results back for 1010 ng/dl total and a free test level right on the upper threshold

gbullock32
02-23-2016, 11:24 AM
OP do not cut if u are 12 percent brah srs

wanna ask you something. have u discussed with your doc the possibility of ur genetic makeup contributing to the crashing test levels ?

When I was 16 I did something very similar to you in a very crash diet style: probably 5 gram trace fats a day and mostly cucumbers and tomatoes, including 3-4 days of fasting and then binging on some cheese. lost 60 lbs in 73 days exactly

2 years later, at 18 my test levels are fine: yesterday got my results back for 1010 ng/dl total and a free test level right on the upper thresholdPossible genetic pre-disposition due to family history of lower (but still normal) ranges; so it was sort of a factor of things.

atgbrahsrs
02-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Possible genetic pre-disposition due to family history of lower (but still normal) ranges; so it was sort of a factor of things.

I see. It could also be that I did it for a small period of time and did not go to shredded mode like you but more like 30-35 bf to 15-18 % but again I did it the crazy way but no perma damage

EmperorRyker
02-23-2016, 01:42 PM
I see. It could also be that I did it for a small period of time and did not go to shredded mode like you but more like 30-35 bf to 15-18 % but again I did it the crazy way but no perma damageYeah, that's because I don't think it's true gbullock32 had issues because he cut at a young age, he had issues because he went as far as he did. This doesn't have much to do with age at all, but the argument always gets thrown around as if that was a fact. It's mistaking correlation for causation.

gbullock32
02-23-2016, 10:46 PM
Yeah, that's because I don't think it's true gbullock32 had issues because he cut at a young age, he had issues because he went as far as he did. This doesn't have much to do with age at all, but the argument always gets thrown around as if that was a fact. It's mistaking correlation for causation.Less cutting at that age and more going too far, and in a terrible way (far too low calories/fat for too long). The age I think came in to play since I was still developing, and doing such harsh things to the hormones there is not going to end well.

EmperorRyker
02-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Less cutting at that age and more going too far, and in a terrible way (far too low calories/fat for too long). The age I think came in to play since I was still developing, and doing such harsh things to the hormones there is not going to end well.Yeah, but I don't think there are any studies out there that suggest teens shouldn't cut. If someone was fat, I personally would recommend them to cut, but not go to extremes. I don't think anything negative would happen. They just shouldn't cut to extremes like you did, but that goes for anyone. I cut too much when I wasn't a teen, and I my hormonal issues might stem from that, too. It's not the age. Having said that, maybe the teenage metabolism is more pliable, but thus far everyone's recommendations against doing so don't stand on any firm ground.

gbullock32
02-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Yeah, but I don't think there are any studies out there that suggest teens shouldn't cut. If someone was fat, I personally would recommend them to cut, but not go to extremes. I don't think anything negative would happen. They just shouldn't cut to extremes like you did, but that goes for anyone. I cut too much when I wasn't a teen, and I my hormonal issues might stem from that, too. It's not the age. Having said that, maybe the teenage metabolism is more pliable, but thus far everyone's recommendations against doing so don't stand on any firm ground.Fair point, but irrelevant to OP as he is in no position to cut and is not overweight in the slightest.

rondonumbanine9
02-24-2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. I've decided with my stats I'm definitely not going to cut at the moment; just two more questions though. I'm new to all this so excuse my ignorance: is 12% bodyfat at 150 lbs really that bad? And the chubby face isn't just me seeing something that isn't there, I actually only recognized the problem when multiple people I hadn't seen for a few months saw my face and thought I'd put on quite a bit of weight until they saw my frame. Anyway, if I bulk up some more and still have this fat face (or if it gets even more bloated), what would be an ideal weight to cut [responsibly]?

F1ProStyle
02-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Keep lifting and eating, your face shape will change, i guarantee. It's not just about body fat %, testosterone plays a major role in how your face looks. My face changed dramatically since i started lifting, keep in mind my body fat is almost the same.

Mrpb
02-25-2016, 12:35 AM
is 12% bodyfat at 150 lbs really that bad?

12% would be quite lean.

But you're probably not 12%. If you measured it with electronic scale, those are very inaccurate.

dest0
02-25-2016, 02:43 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied. I've decided with my stats I'm definitely not going to cut at the moment; just two more questions though. I'm new to all this so excuse my ignorance: is 12% bodyfat at 150 lbs really that bad? And the chubby face isn't just me seeing something that isn't there, I actually only recognized the problem when multiple people I hadn't seen for a few months saw my face and thought I'd put on quite a bit of weight until they saw my frame. Anyway, if I bulk up some more and still have this fat face (or if it gets even more bloated), what would be an ideal weight to cut [responsibly]?

I don't think your "Fat face" as you call it is relevant to you gaining weight..Getting a chubby face is obviously different for everyone, but I don't see this happening in under 16~18% BF.

Anyway, do a slow bulk until you get to 16~17% BF then you can start your cut then.

muruku
02-25-2016, 04:10 AM
get more sleep/ srs.