PDA

View Full Version : Need advice, fat loss.

Duzzbucket
02-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Hi all, new member long time lurker. I have read lots of articles on here and figured some things out myself. I hate to beat a dead horse but I need advice based on myself/bodytype. I have been going to the gym every day since the end of December 2015 (couple days missed here and there with life) but I have been working hard and I am seeing losses. I know how to cut calories and lose weight have done ot before. Here is my stats, Im 6'1" currently 385lbs (started at 421), 27 years old. I workout on the elliptical for 30 mins at the gym each day and switch to treadmill every few days. I have never been unable to move or struggle with physical things, even at my heaviest I still played basketball with my friends and could run around in the yard with my kids and have always been very strong and well balanced. I want to start heavy lifting, I currently eat a caloric deficit diet, usually 1200-1800 cals a day. If its smart and I do start heavy lifting, will I need to up my calories and will weight lifting benefit as much or more than cardio, Any advice or guidance as well as sarcasm is appreciated.

Shureshock
02-13-2016, 12:45 PM
1200 calories a day is far too low to be cutting at!

You need to recalculate your TDEE - subtract a reasonable deficit 500/day or possibly 1000/day at your size and hit your macros each day. Definitely start weight lifting so you can retain as much muscle as possible.

Duzzbucket
02-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info! I figured if i went as low as I could it would be better, I have noticed my cravings for food hit harder the lower calories I eat, almost like an urge to binge eat. Maybe the extreme calorie cut is causing that?

Duzzbucket
02-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Also could you reccomend a good supplement to suppress appetite?

Shureshock
02-13-2016, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info! I figured if i went as low as I could it would be better, I have noticed my cravings for food hit harder the lower calories I eat, almost like an urge to binge eat. Maybe the extreme calorie cut is causing that?

Probably because you were starving yourself, you still need to provide your body with fuel, just a little less!

Im not very familiar with supps for appetite suppression, I just deal with the hunger pangs or drink water

KenInAZ
02-13-2016, 09:22 PM
Also could you reccomend a good supplement to suppress appetite?

I wouldn't go the route of supplementation to suppress appetite just yet. Make sure to drink at least a gallon of water a day and incorporate fiber into your diet. Green veggies are good for this. A pound of broccoli is roughly 150 calories and it amounts to a heaping plateful.

If you enjoy cardio then do it. It will expedite the fat loss process. It isn't necessary though. Significant fat loss can be achieved through a caloric deficit achieved by diet and lifting alone. Lifting is more important to the overall process imo for a few reasons:

- If you lose that much weight from cardio/diet alone, you will look much worse by the end of it than if you had lifted all along. Loose skin is all but a given but a fair amount of it can be filled out by a long, sustained cut. The muscle mass will fill out some and by taking your time with it, the elasticity of your skin is given ample time to adjust.

- Muscle requires calories for the body to sustain, even while at rest. Ensuring you're burning all the time.

- If your macros are on point, while lifting heavy, it ensures most of the "weight loss" you experience will be fat loss. You will preserve most of your lean gains.

I'm going to link 2 stickies. I lost 100 lbs by following the advice in one (although I incorporated calculating my TDEE and counting calories but generally speaking it's a fantastic, simple program) and learned how to allocate my calories in another. I hope you read them carefully and they help you out. If you would like any anecdotal advice from my own fat loss or else general advice, I would be happy to help.

Be proud of this first step. You have dropped a good amount of weight and are posting in a bodybuilding forum seeking knowledge. That shows something - the desire to change, to not be content. Be patient and take things day by day. If yesterday was a good or bad day, it's irrelevant. Win the day that you're on. That's all you can do since tomorrow isn't here yet.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380403

Duzzbucket
02-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Thank you for the info it is greatly appreciated!!

Here is where my confusion lies. With weight lifting to gain muscle you need to up your calories right? So with lifting and a caloric deficit from my diet how will I gain any muscle without the calories to fuel the growth/repair? How can I cut calories and still get muscle growth? All of my information is from reading but none seem to specifically address myself, which is why I figured best to just ask the pros.

To maintain my weight I need 4440 calories.

KenInAZ
02-14-2016, 10:20 AM
If you're new to lifting, you can gain muscle on a caloric deficit. Often referred to as newbie or noob gains, you'll have a long period of time during which you will lose a bunch of fat and gain muscle simultaneously if you play your cards right. Just ensure you are getting on an established, tried and true program, like "Starting Strength". If you check out the stickies in the Workout section, it'll guide you.

Don't worry too much about perfecting all the details. Get on a caloric deficit and lift heavy using an established program, hit your protein and fat requirements and you'll be on your way.

EDIT: There is fairly new research that suggests you can gain muscle beyond noob gains while on a deficit. They have discussed it in the Nutrition section. I'm not familiar enough with it to comment though.

Duzzbucket
02-14-2016, 05:41 PM
Wonderful, let me pick your brain a bit more here. Everything I've read and heard is 1g protein per 1lb body weight. Does that rule apply to a guy my size? 385g of protein seems like a lot, should I still shoot for that or is that even safe?

tara19
02-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Wonderful, let me pick your brain a bit more here. Everything I've read and heard is 1g protein per 1lb body weight. Does that rule apply to a guy my size? 385g of protein seems like a lot, should I still shoot for that or is that even safe?

Aim for your LBM.. or your goal weight.
Say 180g of Protein should be plenty.
Get at least 65g of fat as well :)