PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Djokovic will pass Federer in Grand Slam titles?

BigTimePlayer
01-31-2016, 04:31 PM
He's at 11 now after winning today, Federer is at 17. I think if he wins another two this year alone, than he could possibly do it if he keeps playing at this level.

LiftLaughLust
01-31-2016, 04:35 PM
hope he does, Joker's a cool guy and I'd much rather see him considered the GOAT than that smug piece of ****

waddupi
01-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Probably, he doesn't have any competition honestly. Federer is old, nadal is always injured and pretty washed up, Murray ain't good enough. He will win 6 more most definitely.

WelshAutist
01-31-2016, 04:37 PM
Probably, he doesn't have any competition honestly. Federer is old, nadal is always injured and pretty washed up, Murray ain't good enough. He will win 6 more most definitely.

Basically this. As much as I want my fellow UK brah to win more titles, realistically djok is going to ease his way to grand slams for the next couple years

BigTimePlayer
01-31-2016, 04:38 PM
hope he does, Joker's a cool guy and I'd much rather see him considered the GOAT than that smug piece of ****

lol seems you're in the minority on that one. Most tennis fans seem to love Federer & Nadal much more than Djokovic. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, but I guess there's just something about him that turns people off.

LiftLaughLust
01-31-2016, 04:40 PM
lol seems you're in the minority on that one. Most tennis fans seem to love Federer & Nadal much more than Djokovic. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, but I guess there's just something about him that turns people off.
maybe it's cuz most tennis fans are as conceited and snooty as them, they don't like the chill guy just havin fun out there

BigTimePlayer
01-31-2016, 04:40 PM

Yeah, Djokovic started to reach his full potential at the perfect time. Now he has no competition. Federer is really his toughest competition at the moment, & he still beats him pretty easily nowadays. Nadal as you said is way too injury prone, and Murray has always been the #4 guy of the big 4 players.

BigTimePlayer
01-31-2016, 04:41 PM
maybe it's cuz most tennis fans are as conceited and snooty as them, they don't like the chill guy just havin fun out there

Why don't you like Federer though? He doesn't seem to be a bad guy either.

LiftLaughLust
01-31-2016, 04:44 PM
Yeah, Djokovic started to reach his full potential at the perfect time. Now he has no competition. Federer is really his toughest competition at the moment, & he still beats him pretty easily nowadays. Nadal as you said is way too injury prone, and Murray has always been the #4 guy of the big 4 players.
Raonic and Joker could be the new superstar rivalry in a year or two

waddupi
01-31-2016, 04:45 PM
Why don't you like Federer though? He doesn't seem to be a bad guy either.

Lol this. Federer is the most liked athlete in the world. Forbes ranked him 2nd worldwide as the most respected person behind Mandela a few years ago. Dockovic on the other hand is hated by tennis fans for some reason.

nvrstopworking
01-31-2016, 04:56 PM
As much as it pains me to say it.... Novak will probably do it. The only real threats to him (other than Fed who can't seem to find a way around him) might be Stan and MAYBE Raonic (playing VERY well lately).

Dude's tough as nails though and just moves around the court effortlessly. And he's only 28. Should be dominant for at LEAST the next 3-4 years.

TyGuy505
01-31-2016, 05:00 PM
As much as it pains me to say it.... Novak will probably do it. The only real threats to him (other than Fed who can't seem to find a way around him) might be Stan and MAYBE Raonic (playing VERY well lately).

Dude's tough as nails though and just moves around the court effortlessly. And he's only 28. Should be dominant for at LEAST the next 3-4 years.

this

the rest of the field outside of fed and stan when he shows up is pathetic. dimitrov kyrgios tomic raonic nishikori harrison sock haven't done chit delpo is always hurt murray is a mental midget nadal's body is broken this is easily the weakest era ever

BigTimePlayer
01-31-2016, 05:00 PM

Yeah, that's what I think too. Likely for the next 3 years, he's still going to be dominant. I wonder if people would consider him the GOAT if he passes Federer though or if they will say he only kept winning due to lack of competition.

waddupi
01-31-2016, 05:05 PM
Yeah, that's what I think too. Likely for the next 3 years, he's still going to be dominant. I wonder if people would consider him the GOAT if he passes Federer though or if they will say he only kept winning due to lack of competition.

I don't think people will call him the goat even if he passes him. Djokovic just isn't well appreciated by the tennis world for some reason Also, Federer in his prime was 5 times more dominant than this djoko. Federer is to tennis what MJ is to basketball.

BigTimePlayer
01-31-2016, 05:10 PM
I don't think people will call him the goat even if he passes him. Djokovic just isn't well appreciated by the tennis world for some reason Also, Federer in his prime was 5 times more dominant than this djoko. Federer is to tennis what MJ is to basketball.

Yeah, most likely. The only way I can see them saying he's the best ever is if he passes Federer by like 5 grand slam wins. If he only passes him by 1 or 2 than they'll still say Federer is the best. The earliest Djokovic can pass Federer is at the U.S. Open 2017 when he'll be 30 years old. But he's never won the French Open, as well as factoring in that he'll unlikely win every single other grand slam from now until than, he'll maybe be able to do it sometime in late 2018 or sometime in 2019 when he'll be 31-32 years old.

wifestealer
01-31-2016, 05:12 PM

this.

he peaked at the right time. meanwhile fed was getting shutdown by nadal and nadal was shut down by his body

nvrstopworking
01-31-2016, 06:04 PM
this.

he peaked at the right time. meanwhile fed was getting shutdown by nadal and nadal was shut down by his body

More like "was born at the right time" lol. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened between him and Fed if Novak was 4 or years older and they both met in their primes.

As it stands it's going to be tough for Novak to ever dethrone Fed as the GOAT unless he passes 20 slams (with 3 or 4 FO titles).

Fed is 34 and it STILL #2 with the ability to school anyone NOT named Djokovic. He's got every shot in the game and plays (arguably) the most beautiful tennis we've ever seen. There isn't a player on tour who has his complete arsenal. Will be a sad, sad day when he finally calls it quits.

soulivex
01-31-2016, 06:18 PM
If you don't know why people don't like Djokovic, it's probably cause you didn't see him much when he was younger. Granted he's gotten rid of most of it, but it still lingers and it's certainly why I'll never like him as much as tons of other guys despite how dominant he is/will be.

He used to just flat out quit when it got really hot or taxing in longer matches.
He used to bounce the ball incessantly before serving big points. Someone (might have been Fed but I don't remember) complained to the judge about it one time and he gave him a warning about it. He won the point and the game and gave the judge the longest stare down in history as if it was his fault. The replay showed he bounced the ball over 30 times before serving.
He used to flat out get coaching advice from his box. Not just typical Murray-like mouthing off to his box stuff but full on conversations for advice. Don't know how he ever got away with it.
His box used to wear those obnoxious shirts where each person has a letter on their shirt that spelled his name or "Noli" like they were a bunch of fangirls/boys.

notWilliam
01-31-2016, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I think he grand slams this year.

Even as a nadal nuthugger, Ill admit his peak is REALLY close to peak monster Nadal.

StrapNScrap21
01-31-2016, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I think he grand slams this year.

Even as a nadal nuthugger, Ill admit his peak is REALLY close to peak monster Nadal.

"peak Nadal" AKA winning a bunch of clay tournaments and being hit or miss on every other surface? http://www.*******.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/what.png

SompletelyCober
01-31-2016, 10:55 PM
Lmao at nerds coming up with excuses.

If he gets to 18 and Federer is stuck at 17 he's the GOAT, clearly, no debatin. FOH with your mental gymnastics. Better player + more GSs= GOAT. Tell me more about "competition." Please tell me how great Jordan's competition was when he was winning rings in the 90s and not facing Shaq/Kobe or prime Kareem/ Magic, or Prime Bird/McHale/Parish etc.

dudebruh
01-31-2016, 11:13 PM
Fed is the GOAT no doubt and a good dude. I like Djoko but he's got a long way to challenge Fed's overall career. Also he doesn't seem to know how to play the favorite role and win over the fans. he was butthurt as hell during the US Open last year when the crowd was cheering the underdog

Lukic
01-31-2016, 11:24 PM
The weak era argument is dumb. You make the era around you weak. Djokovic is just that much better than everyone else around him like Fed was in 2004-2007. If anything, we can at least say Djokovic proved he was the best in the world in 2011 when he put together the greatest tennis season ever at a time when the big 3 (4) were all close enough to their best so even if he's taking advantage of lesser competition now, he's not making a career out of it only.

Djokovic's lack of popularity probably comes down to a few things.

1) Early career antics - Family was too involved, the withdrawing from matches, which even if they weren't his fault because of his diet, are understandbly going to piss fans off.

2) Bad timing - Started to rise right at the peak of the Nadal-Fed rivalry which is the biggest rivalry in tennis history. Took him too long to break into the limelight with these guys who had captivated the tennis audience.

3) Being Eastern European - Same **** happened with Lendl. Tennis is a Western European/Western game with the main tennis media being in Western Europe and America so Djokovic being from Serbia, a country vilified by Western media during the 21st century, was likely subject to bias in public perception.

As for if he's going to be the greatest? If he reaches 17, he's level with Fed depending on peripheral records like no.1 weeks, masters titles etc. If he gets 18, he's the greatest. If he gets 16 or less, Fed remains greatest.

As an attacking shot maker Fed's the greatest ever and no-one compares. He's the most pleasant to watch and has the most aesthetic game. Djokovic might not have this but he could be the most effective and at the end of the day, ranking points > style points and getting it done is what matters so even though I think a prime Fed would beat Djokovic on most surfaces, we'll never have that comparison and we can only go on the numbers.

dudebruh
01-31-2016, 11:39 PM
btw saw part if the murray match last night and how scrawny is djoko now? no way dude is more than 165lbs. crazy they can hit the ball so hard with no mass

aal04
01-31-2016, 11:49 PM
Yeah, Djokovic started to reach his full potential at the perfect time. Now he has no competition. Federer is really his toughest competition at the moment, & he still beats him pretty easily nowadays.

Pretty much this.

He will surpass Federer because the only challenger to him is a 55 year old Federer. Usually there is an up and coming star, but there has been a draught for the past few years and Djokovic has taken advantage of this.

And ive noticed Federer getting angry more recently because he knows this too

soulivex
01-31-2016, 11:50 PM
btw saw part if the murray match last night and how scrawny is djoko now? no way dude is more than 165lbs. crazy they can hit the ball so hard with no mass

Old saying "let the racket do the work" comes to mind with him and guys like Fed which is part of why it looks so effortless. Clean striking, clean motion = easy pace. As opposed to guys like Nadal and Stan who are all arm.

aresman1221
02-01-2016, 07:22 AM
as much as it pains me to say it, yes probably.

However he will never be the GOAT, Federer is and always will , Djok peaked when there's no competition.
Besides Federer's aesthetic game > everybody else