PDA

View Full Version : "Banking" Calories?

TheLonghorn
01-31-2016, 01:23 PM
Let's assume I'm trying to just maintain my weight. Can I keep a running tab of the calories saved on deficit days, and then eat all those "saved" calories on a cheat day? For example, let's say over the course of two weeks I accumulate a 2,600 calorie deficit due to not hitting my calorie goal on various days. At the end of those two weeks, can I just blow those on one big cheat day? (i.e., my usual daily calorie requirement plus the 2,600 calories)

ts65
01-31-2016, 01:26 PM
You CAN do that.. but it sounds really stupid.

What do you need a cheat day for if you're maintaining?? It's not like when you're cutting you're hungry all the time and have cravings. If you're maintaining you should be fine..

magician27
01-31-2016, 01:34 PM
yes, and in that case that would be called losing and gaining back weight , not maintaining

EmperorRyker
01-31-2016, 01:56 PM
Sure, but you're probably going to store some of that as fat. Physique-wise it'd be better to spread those calories over the entire week.

nakkiz
01-31-2016, 02:39 PM
Sure, but you're probably going to store some of that as fat. Physique-wise it'd be better to spread those calories over the entire week.

This, really. You're minimizing muscle gains, and maximizing fat gains this way.

ErikTheElectric
01-31-2016, 08:29 PM
Sure, but calories =/= currency. Just an FYI, lol.

wlodarczykn
01-31-2016, 08:45 PM
yes, and in that case that would be called losing and gaining back weight , not maintaining

This.

When I want to cut I start "saving" my calories. When I want to bulk I "spend" said calories that I've saved up

Sweetums6000
02-03-2016, 02:40 AM
I was wondering the same thing, except my timing is a little different. I only "bank" my calories for a few days at a time.

You CAN do that.. but it sounds really stupid.

What do you need a cheat day for if you're maintaining?? It's not like when you're cutting you're hungry all the time and have cravings. If you're maintaining you should be fine..

Not all so-called "cheat days" are because of hunger or a lack of self-control. Sometimes eating (and/or drinking) is a social/recreational activity.

For example, I enjoy going out with my wife on the weekend or getting together with friends or family and having a nice big meal with a craft beer or three, which can easily end up being thousands of calories. I could have a good time without a belly full of food and beer, but it wouldn't be the same.

I naturally tend to eat below maintenance during my four day work-week, and above maintenance on the weekend, and it averages out at the end the week. I could force myself to eat more than I want to for half the week, and less than I want to the the other half, but it would lower my quality of life somewhat. Whether this is more important than eating for optimal results is a matter of personal preference, not stupidity.

desslok
02-03-2016, 05:37 AM
Sure. A lot of walmart shoppers bank their calories.