PDA

View Full Version : Which Sport League Has the Most Difficult Road to a Championship?

buckeyenutz
12-11-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm going to go with MLB. 160+ Games in regular season, limited number of playoff spots, multiple games in each series--so endless possibilities to lose, played outdoors in spring to late fall.

What say ye?

Day1086
12-11-2015, 12:26 PM
For a bad team? NBA is the hardest for an underdog to win, but probably the easiest for a dominant team to win.

NFL gotta be the hardest for a dominant team to win, but the easiest for a bad team to win.

I'm no expert on MLB/NHL but I'd imagine they are similar to eachother due to riding the hot hand of a goalie or pitcher

lackstir
12-11-2015, 12:29 PM
NFL due to the abnormal rate of injuries to franchise players. Years of building into a championship window takes a nose dive more often than seen in other sports

buckeyenutz
12-11-2015, 12:30 PM
For a bad team? NBA is the hardest for an underdog to win, but probably the easiest for a dominant team to win.

NFL gotta be the hardest for a dominant team to win, but the easiest for a bad team to win.

I'm more thinking overall, from day one of game one in a regular series to winning the last game in a championship.

wickedman
12-11-2015, 12:31 PM
MLB, forced to play baseball for 160 games. And then some of the teams play a 1 game playoff, the height of playoff stupidity in any sport.

cashinout
12-11-2015, 02:01 PM
NFL, it's one and done and any team can win in the playoffs/superbowl

add in the 99% injury rate and it's hard as hell

nikonD70s
12-11-2015, 02:20 PM
i say the nfl, every game is important. u only get 1 chance. so u know everybody is playing their hardest. doesnt matter if you're the best team in the nfl. u can still lose the next week against the worst team. easier to get injuries.

not sure why people would say MLB. sure they play a lot of games. but thats because most of the time they dont have to do anything. u just stand around till someone hits the ball. only one really wearing down is the pitcher.

TheMarshall
12-11-2015, 02:35 PM
I don't really see the argument for baseball, or even basketball for the same reason. In a 7 game season, one fluke game doesn't ruin it. In one single football game, a lot can happen. You don't have the luxury of an off day.

buckeyenutz
12-11-2015, 03:02 PM
I don't really see the argument for baseball, or even basketball for the same reason. In a 7 game season, one fluke game doesn't ruin it. In one single football game, a lot can happen. You don't have the luxury of an off day.

Multiple outcomes though, i.e., so many variables in multi-games/series.

dtbrehm
12-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Guess it depends on which perspective you want to look at it through.

Any characteristic that makes it easier for a dominant team to slip up obviously makes it easier for an underdog to succeed.

Basically what Day said.

blue4113
12-11-2015, 03:32 PM
looooooooool at everyone saying the NFL.

There is PLENTY of oppurtunity for ANY team that makes the playoffs to win the superbowl.

There is NO chance for a team barely making the playoffs in the NBA to win a championship.

justin8684
12-11-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm going to go with the NFL based on the one and done nature of the playoffs as well as the injury factor.

When the Packers won the Super Bowl in 2010, they did so with a very young, talented team and a highly skilled quarterback just entering the prime of his career.

That was almost a half decade ago & we haven't even been back to a Super Bowl since.

Lukic
12-11-2015, 05:21 PM
NFL is the highest variance - factoring in injuries, shorter season, the actual mechanics of the game and the way the playoffs are built means that "luck" has the biggest influence on it. Good teams are proportionally less likely compared to their ability to win and bad teams proportionally more likely compared to their ability.

NBA/MLB much lower variance due to less injuries and the way the game is played as well - less upsets/lower variance and then factor in the 82/160 game season and series based playoffs means that the better team will have enough opportunities to prove they're better.

Khaleth
12-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Europe's Champions League Football

You have to win your countries league or place in the top 2-4 if you are a top league. Then you have to place top 2 in your 4 team group playing 6 matches home and away against other champions. Then the round of 16 you play home and away. Same for Quarter finals, then semis, and the final is a one off game. No team has ever won back to back. The entire tournament takes place inbetween your regular season too.

apsizzle2
12-11-2015, 06:05 PM
League of legends

Twas deemed a sport, srs

wifestealer
12-11-2015, 06:34 PM
champions league.

standard of play is high from all teams, 4 team group stage x 8
2 leg playoffs per round
neutral game final

buckeyenutz
12-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Europe's Champions League Football

You have to win your countries league or place in the top 2-4 if you are a top league. Then you have to place top 2 in your 4 team group playing 6 matches home and away against other champions. Then the round of 16 you play home and away. Same for Quarter finals, then semis, and the final is a one off game. No team has ever won back to back. The entire tournament takes place inbetween your regular season too.

Sounds incredibly difficult. Where's a good place to start watching for US brahs?

GetBig0rDieTryn
12-11-2015, 06:49 PM
NFL is the highest variance - factoring in injuries, shorter season, the actual mechanics of the game and the way the playoffs are built means that "luck" has the biggest influence on it. Good teams are proportionally less likely compared to their ability to win and bad teams proportionally more likely compared to their ability.

NBA/MLB much lower variance due to less injuries and the way the game is played as well - less upsets/lower variance and then factor in the 82/160 game season and series based playoffs means that the better team will have enough opportunities to prove they're better.

^exactly this

jonmcd46
12-11-2015, 07:39 PM
NCAA football? seems like crazy stuff happen every weekend that ruin a contender's chance. And its tough to keep talent for more than 2-3 years.

travellingbrah
12-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Sounds incredibly difficult. Where's a good place to start watching for US brahs?

fs1 carries all the games and they're played on Tuesday and Wednesdays around 2 eastern time...

YesWayNoWeigh
12-11-2015, 08:05 PM
pretty sure stanley cup is the hardest to win

Phobaphobia
12-11-2015, 08:29 PM
pretty sure stanley cup is the hardest to win

Absolutely this

waddupi
12-11-2015, 08:31 PM
march madness. college basketball. Think about how hard it is to get to the final 4 let alone winning it all.

Khaleth
12-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Canada Brah here but TSN and ESPN play it on Tuesday and Wednesdays around 3pm Eastern. The Group stage just finished this week. Round of 16 draw is taking place Monday and starting up again Feb 16th. The Final is in May and usually a Sunday! Hands down the best soccer competition in the world. The World Cup might be a better spectacle but the champions league is the better competition.

lAmTheLiquor
12-11-2015, 09:38 PM
NHL/Stanley Cup. Those guys take more of a beating than any other sport, aside from perhaps the NFL. But they're doing it 3+ times a week, sometimes back to back nights. 82 games plus 4 best-of-seven playoff series in a league with unrivaled parity where any team can win on any given night.

stekcor
12-11-2015, 10:15 PM

I'm no expert on MLB/NHL but I'd imagine they are similar to eachother due to riding the hot hand of a goalie or pitcher

spoken like a true bandowagoner with no knowledge in sports at all. nba is the easiest even for a team in the 8th playoff spot.

mlb would probably be the hardest because it involves skill and chance rather than just skill.

ClutchAnalyst
12-11-2015, 10:20 PM
I'd say western conference NBA is the hardest. That chit is brutal

And teams that make it twice are not likely to make it back again no matter how much talent due to emotional fatigue. It's almost torturous

HockeyCoach96
12-12-2015, 04:54 AM
NHL/Stanley Cup. Those guys take more of a beating than any other sport, aside from perhaps the NFL. But they're doing it 3+ times a week, sometimes back to back nights. 82 games plus 4 best-of-seven playoff series in a league with unrivaled parity where any team can win on any given night.

Agreed 100%
The NHL salary cap makes it really hard for any team to continuously dominate on a yearly basis.
Playing 3-4 games a week at high speeds and plenty of physical contact takes a major toll on the body.
The playoffs are 2 months of playing every second night, doesn't matter how in shape they are, their bodies take a beating.

JaxBrah
12-12-2015, 05:16 AM

the thing is, with football you can have a losing record, make the playoffs , and get remotely hot for 3 games and make the superbowl. in the mlb, you have 162 games, meaning you have to prove beyond doubt that you are a worthy team to even make the playoffs. then when you get there you have another 15 or so games to make the world series.

in football and basketball you can have one dominant guy carry you to a championship. football with a quarterback but obviously not as severe as basketball when you have a prime lebron or kobe and that guarentees you playoff spots every single year regardless of who else is on the team

poonpounder311
12-12-2015, 06:14 AM
Wood say march madness or UEFA Champions League.

ptrmull
12-12-2015, 09:34 AM
NHL is the hardest. they play sooo many games its a long season..nfl second.

Fiz-iks
12-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Stanley Cup.

82 game season. Have to get 16 wins in the playoffs, 16! Through 4 rounds of play. Add in the fact that the NHL is 2nd only to the NFL in physicality.

It's definitely the NHL.