PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition when ill

mjdouble
12-04-2015, 07:37 AM
So basically I've been cutting for a little more than 4 months. I've dropped 25 lbs, though I've been stalled the last 2 weeks. Basically averaging 2100 cals a day. I eat a couple hundred more on work out days and a couple hundred less on non work out days. My macros are 145 g protein, 200 g carbs, 80 g fat. Again these are averages as I adjust to whether it is a workout or nonwork out day, though I'm always shooting for at least 140 g protein a day. I'm 40 years old, 5'6" and currently 153 lbs. I'd like to cut down to 145 and then look to bulk a little in advance of a 500 mile week long bicycle tour I have planned in July. Anyway, I'm coming down with a nasty upper respiratory infection. I'm skipping my workout today and plan to just rest all weekend. I can tell this cold is going to be a doozy. I'm wondering how others handle nutrition/cutting when they feel under the weather. Do you just suspend your cut and eat at maintenance, continue with cutting, or just unplug altogether and eat with no restrictions at all? Does how long you've been cutting factor in? And what changes to food selections do you make? Less fat and more carbs, more liquid food like soup, etc....

AustinRCraig
12-04-2015, 12:34 PM
In my opinion I prefer to eat slightly above maintenance when sick. Doesn't matter if i'm cutting, bulking, etc. Your body needs energy to heal itself and for its immune system to work effectively, just make sure the calories are quality and you are getting a lot of vegetables, fruits, and water so your body has the nutrients it needs to get better.

gbullock32
12-04-2015, 03:33 PM
In my opinion I prefer to eat slightly above maintenance when sick. Doesn't matter if i'm cutting, bulking, etc. Your body needs energy to heal itself and for its immune system to work effectively, just make sure the calories are quality and you are getting a lot of vegetables, fruits, and water so your body has the nutrients it needs to get better.Great answer, body needs energy to heal and get better so no need to limit it; whole/minimally processed and nutrient dense foods are a wise choice to help the process.

blue9steel
12-04-2015, 04:20 PM
I agree with AustinRCraig and gbullock32, don't try and cut while you're sick.

Domicron
12-04-2015, 04:27 PM
i prefer to go for more bland food when i'm sick, higher carbs and fewer fats.