PDA

View Full Version : Beginner question about protein(pancake/waffle etc) and BCAA

totemized
12-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Hello! Im quite new here, but long time "lurker".
I just have some questions reguarding the protein intake and BCAA.

I'm aware that you should get about 1g of protein for each pound of weight, which for me at 84kg (185 pounds) should get around 185g of protein each day. Right?

Also, I see there is pancake-, waffle- and much more mixes. Which is just to add water, and shake for a quick meal with additional protein etc.
Is this something that might be recommended for everyday use for breakfast/lunch? Or is there some downside to it?

The nutrition info of the pancakes:
Energy: 1098kJ (260 kcal) each serve of 70g (2 pancakes)
Protein: 18,0g each serve
Carbs: 36.2g each serve
Fat: 3.2g each serve
Kolesterol: 27mg each serve
Dietary fiber: 4.2g each serve
Natrium: 0.26g each serve
Kalsium: 190mg each serve

Why am I asking these questions?
The pancakes actually tasted good for my liking, and if there is no downside - I'd like to replace my worklunches with this, and maybe even a couple of breakfasts a week.

I've also ordered some BCAA, where it says on the package to only take a serve of 10g each day - before or after training. While I've read on the internet that the recommended dosage of this is about 2-3 times a day?
I cant post links, as Im a new member; but if you'd like to see the product search for "proteinfabrikken BCAA 2:1:1 400g N°ytral"

At least, what it says:
Take one serve (10 g) with water 30 minutes before or after training."

Also; should BCAA be taken every day of the year? Even rest days? Or is it like creatine, where you use it for like a month, then stop - and then return again? (At least thats my understanding of the use of creatine)
Thank you for your time, and I hope my thread is somewhat understandable :)

Jasonk282
12-02-2015, 06:35 AM
eat whatever you want...

If you are already getting in adequate protein, then BCAAs are just a waste of money

dipatel13
12-02-2015, 06:37 AM
Regarding your pancakes, does it fit into your macros for the? Are you still hitting your minimum protein and fat requirements for the day as well?

BCAAs aren't necessary. You can get the required BCAAs from the protein you eat during the day.

Mrpb
12-02-2015, 06:45 AM
How tall are you?

Are you cutting or bulking?

totemized
12-02-2015, 07:42 AM
How tall are you?

Are you cutting or bulking?

Im 187cm, and got some fat to get rid of around the waist, but mostly want to get bigger.

Regarding your pancakes, does it fit into your macros for the? Are you still hitting your minimum protein and fat requirements for the day as well?

BCAAs aren't necessary. You can get the required BCAAs from the protein you eat during the day.

Oh really? The BCAA is just necessary if I dont get enough protein? I though it was something you'd take for your muscles to reccuperate quicker etc?
Im trying to keep track of the protein, but Im not so aware of the fat/carbs Im taking in yet. You have any tips of what I might be getting?

I havnt checked out these so called macros :/
My regular breakfast is just two/three eggs, and maybe something on the side. While lunches is usually some fiber-cereal.

Thanks all for these quick responses :)

Mrpb
12-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Im 187cm, and got some fat to get rid of around the waist, but mostly want to get bigger.

If your bodyfat is over 16%, which it probably is, you're better off eating a slight deficit. If you lose ~1 pound per week you can still build muscle.

Follow a good routine such as Fierce 5 Novice Routine.

Oh really? The BCAA is just necessary if I dont get enough protein?

Yes, the protein in meat, eggs, dairy is already full of BCAAs. You don't need more than you currently get.

danfleysher
12-02-2015, 08:16 AM
From a big picture (macro-nutrient) standpoint, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're hitting your macros. You could have a well balanced meal with various meats, veggies, and grains, or you could binge on Milky Way Bars, Puddings, and Protein shakes to reach those macros. Either option won't matter.
In micro-nutrient terms, it's probably better to be more versatile so you get a wide range of minerals and vitamins from different sources. This is more for overall "health" (I don't like using that term)

While you should focus on your macros as these will decide weight gain/loss, you shouldn't completely ignore foods unless you're allergic or dislike it. With that being said, eat pancakes for lunch all you want but maybe once a week, eat something else.

I was under the impression that BCAA's are best taken intra-workout but I guess they can be used at any point. I'm very tolerant of supplements but BCAA's did absolutely nothing for me. It was like taking multi-vitamins, supposedly healthy but I couldn't judge.

totemized
12-02-2015, 09:38 AM
If your bodyfat is over 16%, which it probably is, you're better off eating a slight deficit. If you lose ~1 pound per week you can still build muscle.

Follow a good routine such as Fierce 5 Novice Routine.

Yes, the protein in meat, eggs, dairy is already full of BCAAs. You don't need more than you currently get.

My main course is always a good source of protein, and so is usually my breakfasts. Where I might have to take a shake or two to reach my daily dosage of protein.
I'll look into doing more cardio for the weight loss, as I believe my current workout program feels like its working for me muscle-wise.

From a big picture (macro-nutrient) standpoint, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're hitting your macros. You could have a well balanced meal with various meats, veggies, and grains, or you could binge on Milky Way Bars, Puddings, and Protein shakes to reach those macros. Either option won't matter.
In micro-nutrient terms, it's probably better to be more versatile so you get a wide range of minerals and vitamins from different sources. This is more for overall "health" (I don't like using that term)

While you should focus on your macros as these will decide weight gain/loss, you shouldn't completely ignore foods unless you're allergic or dislike it. With that being said, eat pancakes for lunch all you want but maybe once a week, eat something else.

I was under the impression that BCAA's are best taken intra-workout but I guess they can be used at any point. I'm very tolerant of supplements but BCAA's did absolutely nothing for me. It was like taking multi-vitamins, supposedly healthy but I couldn't judge.

I prefer eating as healthy as possible, not only to reach my goals etc - but also for a better lifestyle. So I'll stick to the meats etc, haha ;)