PDA

View Full Version : Counting macros

StrongCRNA
12-02-2015, 05:58 AM
Hi all.....I have a question about counting macros. I've been serious about counting my macros and recording everything I eat the last few weeks but it's still lots of trial and error as this is new to me, so bear with me as this may sound like a silly question. My goals for now are 1943 calories with a 40%carb/25fat/35protein split. Say for whatever reason I can't meet my protein requirements, but I met my carbs and fat...so obviously I'm at a calorie deficit but didn't meet my protein requirements (or carbs or whatever). Was this a total waste since my ratios of fat carbs and protein weren't right for the day? How close to your percentages do most of you fall every day? I'm struggle sometimes with trying to figure out the right foods to fill whatever macros I have left in the day without going over on another category.

dipatel13
12-02-2015, 06:05 AM
Hi all.....I have a question about counting macros. I've been serious about counting my macros and recording everything I eat the last few weeks but it's still lots of trial and error as this is new to me, so bear with me as this may sound like a silly question. My goals for now are 1943 calories with a 40%carb/25fat/35protein split. Say for whatever reason I can't meet my protein requirements, but I met my carbs and fat...so obviously I'm at a calorie deficit but didn't meet my protein requirements (or carbs or whatever). Was this a total waste since my ratios of fat carbs and protein weren't right for the day? How close to your percentages do most of you fall every day? I'm struggle sometimes with trying to figure out the right foods to fill whatever macros I have left in the day without going over on another category.

Stop using ratios, it's an outdated concept.

Hit your minimums of protein and fat and fill the rest as you please
.8-1g protein/lb
.4-.5g fat/lb

MoveDade
12-02-2015, 11:39 AM

There are what called Atwater factors which are estimates you can use to calculate energy from protein, fat and carbohydrate. 1 gram of protein= 4kcal; I gram of Carb =4kcal then 1 gram of fat = 9kcal. You can use these factors to estimate you total energy intake. Then find the percentage intake from the individual macros as a percentage for the total energy intake,