PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect Macros? Please Help

bsidhu11
11-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Hello,

I have been cutting for a month now and it not going too well. I am losing some weight, but at a very slow pace. (0.5lbs or less a week). I am 22 years old, 5"10 and 189lbs with 19-20% bf. I workout 4 times a week and play basketball once a week so I would say my activity level is light-moderate as I do not do a whole lot else. Now I used the stickies and other calorie calculators to figure out my maintenance and from there I reduced my calories by 20% to get cutting calories of 2150. From there my protein usually ranges from 190-200 grams and fats are at 65 grams. The remaining calories are carbs.

Now taking that into account I should be losing at least 1lb a week, but I am no where close. On a good week I'll lose 0.5, but usually it is less. I am only a month into the cut so it shouldn't plateau that quick.

Now I have attempted to cut several times in the last few years and they mostly are unsuccessful largely to me giving up too soon. Could I have damaged my metabolism from under eating for so long? Is this what is causing my maintenance to perhaps be lower?

1JFS3
11-23-2015, 11:27 AM
At 5'10 190 ~20% I question your amount of lean mass. I don't think you are suffering from metabolic damage, although 2,150 is pretty damn low. Are you tracking accurately?

Mrpb
11-23-2015, 11:30 AM
If you're not losing weight fast enough on 2150, try 2000.

bsidhu11
11-23-2015, 11:31 AM
At 5'10 190 ~20% I question your amount of lean mass. I don't think you are suffering from metabolic damage, although 2,150 is pretty damn low. Are you tracking accurately?

Yeah I weigh out all my food on a food scale and then enter it into my fitness pal. I even measure out sauces and stuff. Yes I do not have a whole lot of lean mass, but since my body fat is so high I don't think bulking is an option. I've read somewhere that if you are above 16% bodyfat you should use your lean mass to figure out calories. I don't know if this is true however.

1JFS3
11-23-2015, 11:33 AM
You are correct, you should try to use lean mass or use an adjusted BW for an REE equation, and apply that value to an activity factor.

Again, 2,150 is not going to be enough to damage your metabolism. Maybe your activity is not as intense as you think it is. Maybe try to up the intensity of your training while continuing on 2,150. Ultimately, I recommend that you lose BF.