PDA

View Full Version : Does the Warriors 15-0 show how worthless NBA coaches are / invalidate Phil Jackson?

D-Nutt
11-23-2015, 06:59 AM
A young goofy guy with virtually zero coaching experience who came across to me when he was a college player as a complete pothead (assumption) has a 15-0 coaching record.

To me, this pretty much proves that player talent is 95% of the key to success. I'd give team chemistry maybe 3-4%, and then coaching 1-2%.

I'm guessing if a complete moron was coaching the Warriors . . . someone that didn't even understand how to draw up a basketball play . . . maybe the Warriors would have lost 2 or 3 games by now.

No NBA coach should make more than $1 million tops. Probably more like $500k.

broboma2012
11-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Just look at the difference in this team between Kerr and Jackson and you think this is evidence that coaching doesn't matter?

Ballr4Life
11-23-2015, 07:09 AM
Just look at the difference in this team between Kerr and Jackson and you think this is evidence that coaching doesn't matter?

lol this

Coaching made a huge difference for this team. Confidence wise, chemistry wise, tactics wise, everything together. Lol just lol at OP assuming that just because the coach is new that he isn't good. Kerr is the kind of guy who soaked in the knowledge while playing and lived and breathed basketball. More importantly, he wasn't a player who depended on athleticism to get him by. Those are the types of coaches who typically don't succeed. They just don't understand how someone can't just not take it to the hole like they did when they played. Kerr isn't afraid to make changes and also isn't afraid to let guys get into the game as it progresses instead of trying to micromanage everything. Guys a top notch coach with top notch talent

In conclusion OP rode the short bus to school

D-Nutt
11-23-2015, 07:10 AM

I think they were progressing exactly how a very young, extremely talented team would be expected to. 23 wins to 47 to 51, bring in Kerr 67 wins, now possibly record wins. If Mark Jackson was the coach last year, I'm pretty sure they would have won a lot more than the 51 he won the year before. Maybe not the championship, but maybe they would have also.

MarioGOATmers
11-23-2015, 07:24 AM
I think they were progressing exactly how a very young, extremely talented team would be expected to. 23 wins to 47 to 51, bring in Kerr 67 wins, now possibly record wins. If Mark Jackson was the coach last year, I'm pretty sure they would have won a lot more than the 51 he won the year before. Maybe not the championship, but maybe they would have also.
BRB Mark Jackson
BRB Doesn't trust BDD
BRB Starting David Lee
BRB Iso plays for Harrison Barnes
BRB post up plays for Jermaine O'Neal
BRB post up plays for Klay Thompson (lmao notsureifsrs)
BRB doesn't let Iggy run the 2nd unit

The team literally kept the same core. Who did they add? Livingston? Barbosa? (Ezeli)? Do those addition, coupled with the improvement of certain players (Curry, Green, Barnes) really improve a team from a decent 51 wins to one of the best seasons of all time? The talent was always there, Kerr was able to utilize his players effectively and put his team in a position to win, and that is the essence of what coaching is about.

I'd wager every coach in the NBA and at most D1 schools are incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to Xs and Os. The key difference is knowing how to assemble lineups, how to substitute, what roles players should play. Why do you think every journeyman role player who finds his way onto the Spurs revitalizes his career and becomes a key piece to a contending team? Pop puts his players in a position to succeed, and that's why most people consider him the GOAT coach.

broboma2012
11-23-2015, 07:24 AM

47 wins to 51 and then 67 is totally a logical progression with the same exact team. You are a moron for this thread

ClutchAnalyst
11-23-2015, 07:49 AM
BRB Mark Jackson
BRB Doesn't trust BDD
BRB Starting David Lee
BRB Iso plays for Harrison Barnes
BRB post up plays for Jermaine O'Neal
BRB post up plays for Klay Thompson (lmao notsureifsrs)
BRB doesn't let Iggy run the 2nd unit

The team literally kept the same core. Who did they add? Livingston? Barbosa? (Ezeli)? Do those addition, coupled with the improvement of certain players (Curry, Green, Barnes) really improve a team from a decent 51 wins to one of the best seasons of all time? The talent was always there, Kerr was able to utilize his players effectively and put his team in a position to win, and that is the essence of what coaching is about.

I'd wager every coach in the NBA and at most D1 schools are incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to Xs and Os. The key difference is knowing how to assemble lineups, how to substitute, what roles players should play. Why do you think every journeyman role player who finds his way onto the Spurs revitalizes his career and becomes a key piece to a contending team? Pop puts his players in a position to succeed, and that's why most people consider him the GOAT coach.

NBA basketball is on another level when it comes to strategy and tactics. Not all college coaches can keep up with that.

YellowOnYellow
11-23-2015, 08:09 AM
It isn't like Steve Kerr isn't there. He's at home games and everything. He gives out messages. Kerr trust his coaching staff. It can work for a short time but in the long run you will need that leader.

lsiberian
11-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Steve Kerr played for Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich as one of the best shooters in NBA history. I'm pretty sure hiring a great shooter who sat on the bench and in meetings with Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich is probably the best training you can get to coach in the NBA. Mark Jackson was actually a great motivator and talent development guy. He was the right guy to grow Curry. Kerr is the right guy to lead him through a dynasty.

LOL if you don't think coaching matters. I'm certain if Lebron was a career Spur he'd have a lot more rings.

mngardne
11-23-2015, 08:13 AM
negged op, full potato for this thread

TheFornicator1
11-23-2015, 08:15 AM
These arguments always make me lol

NeoKantian
11-23-2015, 08:25 AM
I like how the OP makes it seem like Luke Walton was coaching middle school basketball and suddenly got put into this position.

D-Nutt
11-23-2015, 08:39 AM
47 wins to 51 and then 67 is totally a logical progression with the same exact team. You are a moron for this thread

Yes, Curry is not any better than he was 3 years ago. He's playing the same exact level of ball.

HoustonMiscer
11-23-2015, 08:43 AM
Coaching matters. All you young fukking phaggots think you can run the team with your swag ball are stupid as fuk. These players need direction. I mean look at how low iq some players in the NBA are nowadays. Dribbling is a lost art. Post passing is a lost art. All these young fuks care about his dunking and crossovers.

D-Nutt
11-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Coaching matters. All you young fukking phaggots think you can run the team with your swag ball are stupid as fuk. These players need direction. I mean look at how low iq some players in the NBA are nowadays. Dribbling is a lost art. Post passing is a lost art. All these young fuks care about his dunking and crossovers.

I think that kind of supports what I'm saying though. Curry is a smart player. I don't think he got any smarter once Kerr and Luke Walton came along. He continues to learn how to best take advantage of the opposition, and continues to improve his skills. That's on him, not the coaches.

broboma2012
11-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Yes, Curry is not any better than he was 3 years ago. He's playing the same exact level of ball.

Yeah totally. Probably has nothing to do with playing a system that plays more to his strengths

BeastModeFTW
11-23-2015, 09:06 AM
former youth basketball coach checking in. can confirm coaching is huge. rotations and knowing how to get utilize your players are huge. as with the Warriors the coaching has been huge. as been posted earlier in the thread remember draymond wasn't even starting when mark jackson was coaching. david lee was. the insertion of draymond was a game changer. also under kerr/walton warriors started playing at the fastest pace in the league and really started taking advantage of their athletes and shooters with that small ball lineup. under jackson warriors were more of a halfcourt iso offense.

WarrNation
11-23-2015, 09:08 AM

The only major difference is that Kerr had a healthy Curry and Bogut to work with. Jackson never had that privilege.

TexasMajor
11-23-2015, 09:09 AM
A young goofy guy with virtually zero coaching experience who came across to me when he was a college player as a complete pothead (assumption) has a 15-0 coaching record.

1. You didn't watch Luke play in College

2. Youre a know-nothing bitch

3. This thread sucks

BeastModeFTW
11-23-2015, 09:10 AM
The only major difference is that Kerr had a healthy Curry and Bogut to work with. Jackson never had that privilege.

mark jackson started david lee and didn't play draymond until bogut got hurt.

WarrNation
11-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Yeah totally. Probably has nothing to do with playing a system that plays more to his strengths

but who was ankle injuries?

When Curry goes down, the Warriors are done. Kerr is just a mascot.

WarrNation
11-23-2015, 09:11 AM

Yeah, you right about one. I'll give Kerr credit for that.

FGCHENG
11-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Luke Walton is on his way to becoming the GOAT coach.

Fahnestock
11-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Fuking retards acting like Luke came in and completely overhauled the team, acting like he isn't running the same system Kerr implemented. brb team has to use an interim game coach for a few weeks and didn't go winless, must mean coaching is irrelevant.

lsiberian
11-23-2015, 09:18 AM

Yeah I still chuckle about that. I actually think the Warriors would have won it all a couple years before with Kerr coaching them. They played the Spurs really well with a poor offensive syste

CurryTech777
11-23-2015, 09:21 AM
steve kerr and walton played for phil

LoL

WarrNation
11-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Fuking retards acting like Luke came in and completely overhauled the team, acting like he isn't running the same system Kerr implemented. brb team has to use an interim game coach for a few weeks and didn't go winless, must mean coaching is irrelevant.

Will see Kerr's worth when Curry goes down with a major injury. Will he keep the chains moving as Pop does or will he fold as Mark Jackson did?

Personally, I'm not sold on Kerr. I think this team will only go as far as Curry carries them.

Steve Kerr = David Blatt = Erik Spoelstra

D-Nutt
11-23-2015, 10:10 AM
A guy named WarrNation agrees with me (and added supporting facts).

broboma2012
11-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Will see Kerr's worth when Curry goes down with a major injury. Will he keep the chains moving as Pop does or will he fold as Mark Jackson did?

Personally, I'm not sold on Kerr. I think this team will only go as far as Curry carries them.

Steve Kerr = David Blatt = Erik Spoelstra

How is this ever the standard. When has Pop maintained production with an injury to far and away his best player? He has had the exact opposite actually. A core that has stayed in tact for years on end