PDA

View Full Version : Carbs store as glycogen in muscles, protein though?

Ipokeuri
11-11-2015, 12:24 AM
i usually eat the majority of my protein in 2/3 meals a day hitting about 200 gram a day. I understand that regardless of when you eat carbs it stores as glycogen, my question is; What happens with protein? Like would that 200 grams go to use significantly less than it would if I had have spaced it throughout the day?

gbullock32
11-11-2015, 12:42 AM
Protein Timing (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3879660/)

SuffolkPunch
11-11-2015, 12:47 AM
Protein is stored as circulating amino acids in your bloodstream. As such, it's not a very large store so of all the macros, protein is the most sensitive to timing.

3-4 meals per day at 4+ hour intervals, each one containing at least 30g of protein is what I'd start with.

rhadam
11-11-2015, 01:39 AM
i usually eat the majority of my protein in 2/3 meals a day hitting about 200 gram a day. I understand that regardless of when you eat carbs it stores as glycogen, my question is; What happens with protein? Like would that 200 grams go to use significantly less than it would if I had have spaced it throughout the day?

Carbs play a few roles in the body, not just replenish glycogen stores.

It's more optimal to eat a couple protein-rich means during the day than all of it at once. Protein is broken down and shuttled to where it's needed, aminos are used in the BCAA pool and elsewhere. At the end of the day, you're not really going to be ingesting 100% of your protein needs in one sitting, so the question is kind of pointless. Eat protein throughout the day, profit.