PDA

View Full Version : Oily fish after a workout?

Elokuu
11-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone!

Considering timing is irrelevant if compared to reaching the total macros and that this way I could distribute fats better through the entire day, I would like to know your opinion about eating some oily fish during the post workout meal - salmon, rainbow trout or herrings. Is there anything wrong with that?

In addition:

1. Herrings have a high amount of creatine... isn't this good?
2. And shouldn't Omega 3 fats help with muscle recovery anyway?

Thank you in advance!

Mrpb
11-04-2015, 12:18 PM
You can eat fatty fish whenever you like. They're beneficial.

The timing of omega 3 consumption is largely irrelevant. Post workout will not give extra benefits.

OT2000
11-04-2015, 12:20 PM
I have eaten salmon, trout, tuna, snapper, mackerel, sardines etc after working out. Focus on your overall diet, not the timing of a post workout meal. Fatty fish is always a great choice if low in Mercury.

Elokuu
11-04-2015, 12:23 PM
You can eat fatty fish whenever you like. They're beneficial.

The timing of omega 3 consumption is largely irrelevant. Post workout will not give extra benefits.

Thank you for your prompt clarification!

I eat fish everyday, but always for dinner. Usually it happens that I eat two eggs or some quark - a cheese with a high content of protein and no fats - after my workout (weight lifting or running), together with raw oats. Do you think whole grain brown rice and oily fish could be a better alternative?

EDIT - Didn't see your reply, OT2000. Thanks to you too!

Mrpb
11-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Fatty fish is always a great choice if low in Mercury.

Good point ^. Wild salmon, herring, sardines are great choices low in mercury.

I eat fish everyday, but always for dinner. Usually it happens that I eat two eggs or some quark - a cheese with a high content of protein and no fats - after my workout (weight lifting or running), together with raw oats. Do you think whole grain brown rice and oily fish could be a better alternative?

Eat the foods you prefer most, make sure to hit your macros and micros. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Elokuu
11-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Eat the foods you prefer most, make sure to hit your macros and micros. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Great, just what I wanted to have a confirmation about. Sorry if I ask, as I think the answer is already given... but is it any bad if I add fibers to the post workout meal? For instance: tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, salad, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, spinach, pepper, etc...

Mrpb
11-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Great, just what I wanted to have a confirmation about. Sorry if I ask, as I think the answer is already given... but is it any bad if I add fibers to the post workout meal? For instance: tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, salad, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, spinach, pepper, etc...

Eating veggies is always healthy and will not limit your muscle building in any way.

nakkiz
11-04-2015, 12:41 PM

This. If there was even any benefit to doing it this way it would be so far down on the list that you would have everything else completely in check

Elokuu
11-04-2015, 12:44 PM
This. If there was even any benefit to doing it this way it would be so far down on the list that you would have everything else completely in check

Understood, thank you. It was just a curiosity anyway, as the main concern was if having fats during the post workout meal would be a problem or not... but no, it's not relevant.

Mrpb
11-04-2015, 12:47 PM

For the record, while omega 3 can aid muscle protein synthesis, the timing of intake has zero impact on it as far as I know.

So to get the benefits one should make sure to eat fatty fish say three times per week or take capsules.

nakkiz
11-04-2015, 12:49 PM
For the record, while omega 3 can aid muscle protein synthesis, the timing of intake has zero impact on it as far as I know.

So to get the benefits one should make sure to eat fatty fish say three times per week or take capsules.

Makes sense - thanks. That was why i worded it that way. I hadn't heard of anything like that myself but I didnt want to debunk it completely if you had read a paper on it.

Elokuu
11-04-2015, 12:54 PM

Well, then I believe the fact I eat fatty fish everyday is very positive for me. Thanks for the information anyway.