PDA

View Full Version : Suppressed appetite after training?

AdamD109
11-03-2015, 04:18 AM
I've been in and out of the gym for the better part of a decade. I just started going back this last month (since I was decommissioned after a car accident for about 7 months) and I'm not hungry. Usually I am always hungry. Always eating something. I don't normally eat fast food unless I'm out, or don't have a choice. I stay hydrated. So this not being hungry after spending the last month in the gym is kind of bizarre to me.

I usually listen to my body first and foremost when it comes to this stuff, but seeing as I am trying to bulk up, I realize not eating is not an option.

Any ideas?

Bestfromthewest
11-03-2015, 04:24 AM
I get this also.

On days I train I'm less hungry.

I think this has to do with the mood improving chemicals your body releases after you workout.

Like after you go on a run you feel in a great mood? runners high.

You feel good on days you workout so your body isnt trying to boost your mood by eating.

Cliffs: training improves your mood so you dont need to try and improve it by constantly eating.

Mrpb
11-03-2015, 04:35 AM
Quite normal, I have it to.

There's no real need to eat directly after your workout, especially if you had something to eat before.

Sometimes I just have a protein shake post workout. I enjoy those even when I'm not hungry.

AdamD109
11-03-2015, 05:14 AM
@bestfromthewest: I guess that makes sense. Normally after an intense session at the gym, I do feel pretty good.

@Mrpb: I usually do eat a little something 45 minutes to an hour before the gym. Working out on an empty stomach cuts my stamina in half.

But it isn't just on days that I'm training. It seems like my over all appetite since I've returned to the gym has diminished. I figured it would be the opposite, since my body is actually using energy. Could this mean that my body is tapping into the fat I've accumulated over the last 7 months (which cannot be that much, I've actually lost weight since my car accident) and is causing the loss of appetite?

Edit- Thanks for the quick replies.

Mrpb
11-03-2015, 05:25 AM
At 210 pounds bulking may not be a good idea. This could explain your appetite.

Do you have a picture?

AdamD109
11-03-2015, 05:58 AM
I can get one here soon.

Mrpb
11-03-2015, 06:14 AM
I can get one here soon.

Basically if your body fat is something like the 20% picture you would benefit from a cut first.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/Vantage72/body-fat-percentage-men_1.jpg

jampottt
11-03-2015, 07:23 AM
I find that I'm hungrier after a workout... thought it was common! I train fed, too!

AdamD109
11-03-2015, 10:15 AM
I hope it worked, uploading these.

couldn't really flex my chest.. I had a pretty intense chest workout at the gym this morning, so flexing is kind of hard.

nakkiz
11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Based on your pictures, cutting would be a much better option.

Mrpb
11-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Cut or recomp I'd say. Bulking is not a good idea at this point.

AdamD109
11-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Okay. Ill switch up my routine then. Thanks for the feedback fellas. Much appreciated.

loganhart
11-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Okay. Ill switch up my routine then. Thanks for the feedback fellas. Much appreciated.

If by routine you mean training, there is not need to change. if you are still making progress in the gym, keep doing what you are doing.

Simply drop calories about 10% below your TDEE and adjust as weight loss stalls.

Jasonk282
11-03-2015, 12:06 PM

No need for that, just eat less calories

AdamD109
11-03-2015, 12:17 PM
As of lately, I've been doing 3 different exercises, for example, Bench, Peck deck/flys, and dips, with 30-40 seconds rest between each exercise, and when I'm done with those 3 workouts, or cycle, I rest for about 3-4 minutes and repeat with more weight. Usually starting out with 85% of my max, and continuing until I max. And then I repeat with 3 different exercises. I usually run twice a week.

What I meant by changing my routine up, I'll rest less time between my exercises and use less weight, probably around 60-75% of my max, and more reps, and maybe throw in a fourth and fifth exercise on each "cycle". And run at the end of every workout.

I'm unsure what TDEE is. Can you clarify?

Jasonk282
11-03-2015, 12:18 PM
I'm unsure what TDEE is. Can you clarify?

total daily energy expenditure... the calories you burn each day

Mrpb
11-03-2015, 08:55 PM
As of lately, I've been doing 3 different exercises, for example, Bench, Peck deck/flys, and dips, with 30-40 seconds rest between each exercise, and when I'm done with those 3 workouts, or cycle, I rest for about 3-4 minutes and repeat with more weight. Usually starting out with 85% of my max, and continuing until I max. And then I repeat with 3 different exercises. I usually run twice a week.

What I meant by changing my routine up, I'll rest less time between my exercises and use less weight, probably around 60-75% of my max, and more reps, and maybe throw in a fourth and fifth exercise on each "cycle". And run at the end of every workout.

This is not an effective workout. Such short rest periods will limit the amount of volume you can do, which will eventually results in less muscle growth.

I suggest you get on a balanced routine such as Fierce 5 novice routine. You'll grow quicker.

ErikTheElectric
11-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Who says it needs to be directly after you train? Sometimes, I don't get food in until 4-5 hours post training.

Not the end of the world..

rfp
11-03-2015, 09:17 PM
I find that I'm hungrier after a workout... thought it was common! I train fed, too!

http://frabz.com/68o0

AdamD109
11-04-2015, 05:33 AM
This is not an effective workout. Such short rest periods will limit the amount of volume you can do, which will eventually results in less muscle growth.

I suggest you get on a balanced routine such as Fierce 5 novice routine. You'll grow quicker.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Ill look into the Fierce 5 Routine.

Thanks to everyone else for the feedback as well.