PDA

View Full Version : cutting at 2300 calories a day

mccyjcb
10-30-2015, 08:40 AM
So I am stalling at ~182 while eating 2300 calories a day. My goal is 177.

Macro breakdown: ~190g protein, 75g fat, and the rest carbs. I usually hit macros pretty consistently.

I really don't feel like dropping calories any further, and it just seems like I shouldn't be stalling at 182.

Options? Increase cardio I suppose?

jampottt
10-30-2015, 09:25 AM
If you're not willing to eat less, move more.

mjf100215
10-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Eat less
or
Move more
or
Count calories more accurately

It's one of those.

IK9
10-30-2015, 11:17 AM
How much cardio are you currently doing right now?

I have friends that did up to 500 calories 5x per week w/ 1 HIIT session per week.. let's say approximately 10 calories burned per minute

and

an extreme case where one of my friends did 2 hours of walking per day because he started pretty fat

but both came in diced for their shows & placed top 2

ironwill2008
10-30-2015, 11:29 AM
So I am stalling at ~182 while eating 2300 calories a day. My goal is 177.

Macro breakdown: ~190g protein, 75g fat, and the rest carbs. I usually hit macros pretty consistently.

I really don't feel like dropping calories any further, and it just seems like I shouldn't be stalling at 182.

Options? Increase cardio I suppose?

Need more info, OP:

Is your avatar current?

Are you weighing/measuring/tracking all your food portions, using a food scale?

How many weeks have you been in a calorie deficit?

How much cardio are you currently doing, and how many weeks have you been at that amount?

DrakHarr
10-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Might need to cut a bit more, unless you're going to do more cardio. 2,300 for 182 might be closer to maintenance (for you) there is some variation from person to person (though it's overstated).

gbnpc
10-30-2015, 03:35 PM
I def wouldn't drop cals that much further. If not already done, I would increase cardio to at least 4-5 times per week post workout for 30 minutes or fasted cardio firat thin in the AM before breakfast.

hossjob
10-30-2015, 06:21 PM
If you are not doing cardio, start doing HIIT 3 times per week. 5-7 intervals. 15-20 seconds AS HARD AS YOU CAN. 40-45 seconds recovery. Implement that. From there you can add 1 interval each week or as desired until you get to 10. Once you get there incorporate 1-2 days of traditional cardio for 30-minutes. After that it's more cals bro. it's not unheard of to get down to 10X body weight at the end of a prep. Is it ideal, no, but if that's your goal.

EjnarKolinkar
10-30-2015, 07:14 PM

How long have you been stalled for? Was the stall abrupt, you were losing a pound a week and just stopped? Or did the weight loss taper off over a period of weeks?

How many calorie reductions have you taken thus far to get to the current point in the diet?

ErikTheElectric
10-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Could be inaccurately measuring energy intake. I would just increase cardio

mccyjcb
10-30-2015, 10:41 PM
How much cardio are you currently doing right now?

I'm not doing any. Maybe a total of 30 minutes a week actual cardio. But I work at a Dutch Bro's coffee stand which means I'm on my feet all day at work.

Is your avatar current?

Are you weighing/measuring/tracking all your food portions, using a food scale?

How many weeks have you been in a calorie deficit?

How much cardio are you currently doing, and how many weeks have you been at that amount?

1. My avatar was just taken a couple days ago in the morning!
2. I am weighing everything I eat.
3. I've been actively in a caloric deficit for a month now, lost about 4 pounds.
4. I'm not doing any cardio.

If you are not doing cardio, start doing HIIT 3 times per week. 5-7 intervals. 15-20 seconds AS HARD AS YOU CAN. 40-45 seconds recovery. Implement that. From there you can add 1 interval each week or as desired until you get to 10. Once you get there incorporate 1-2 days of traditional cardio for 30-minutes. After that it's more cals bro. it's not unheard of to get down to 10X body weight at the end of a prep. Is it ideal, no, but if that's your goal.

I like this idea...thanks!

So pretty much everyone has the same consensus. Do more cardio. Which isn't the biggest deal because I don't do any as of right now. My plan is to do 10 min of pretty intense biking after each workout and 30 min of cardio on 1 off day. So this will add up to 90 min every 8 day cycle. That's bound to make some kind of difference! Time to put it into motion! Goal is 177.

muruku
10-31-2015, 01:10 AM
Might need to cut a bit more, unless you're going to do more cardio. 2,300 for 182 might be closer to maintenance (for you) there is some variation from person to person (though it's overstated).

Yea 2300 is quite close to his theoretical maintenance.
If you are reluctant to increase cardio, try reducing carbs and upping protein for 2 weeks and recalibrate based on results.

ironwill2008
10-31-2015, 06:47 AM
1. My avatar was just taken a couple days ago in the morning!
2. I am weighing everything I eat.
3. I've been actively in a caloric deficit for a month now, lost about 4 pounds.
4. I'm not doing any cardio.

You've done a good job so far, especially for only one month in. Your current calorie intake is borderline a bit too little, but since it's working, don't mess with it. Just make sure you're getting your protein and fat requirements every day.

Add just a couple of 20-minute sessions of the cardio of your choice per week for now. Don't go overboard; you'll reach another stall eventually, and then will be the time to add more.

If you add a lot of cardio in on the front-end of a cut, as you get further in, you then have nowhere to go as far as your ability to create a further calorie deficit. You can only cut calories down to the point where your protein and fat intake are at bare minimums; you can't reduce calories any further when you've reached that point.

Take your time, and stick with your plan. The idea is, of course, to reduce body fat while at the same time maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. That can only be accomplished with patience and a moderate approach. You're only 4 weeks in; most properly-run, effective cuts run 12 to 16 weeks. By then, you will one shredded hombre.

mccyjcb
10-31-2015, 04:21 PM
You've done a good job so far, especially for only one month in. Your current calorie intake is borderline a bit too little, but since it's working, don't mess with it. Just make sure you're getting your protein and fat requirements every day.

Add just a couple of 20-minute sessions of the cardio of your choice per week for now. Don't go overboard; you'll reach another stall eventually, and then will be the time to add more.

If you add a lot of cardio in on the front-end of a cut, as you get further in, you then have nowhere to go as far as your ability to create a further calorie deficit. You can only cut calories down to the point where your protein and fat intake are at bare minimums; you can't reduce calories any further when you've reached that point.

Take your time, and stick with your plan. The idea is, of course, to reduce body fat while at the same time maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. That can only be accomplished with patience and a moderate approach. You're only 4 weeks in; most properly-run, effective cuts run 12 to 16 weeks. By then, you will one shredded hombre.

Thanks for putting all of this on here. I know all of this, and have read all of this before, but once I try to run a proper cut on myself I forget everything I have ever read lol.

So I have two plans as of now:
1. I want to see what happens when I switch up carbs and fats. Maybe my body does better with more fat. So I'm going to keep protein the same, but switch my fat intake to 0.6g/lb and then fill the rest with carbs. I want to see what happens.

2. Adding in an extra 10 min of cardio after each training session, which will equal an extra 60 min a week.