PDA

View Full Version : Meal Replacement Shake questions

andrdfry
10-28-2015, 09:51 AM
With school and a work I have limited time to do stuff. I am mostly just trying to lose weight at the moment. I have been using slim fast for the past few weeks and combined with working on my feet more as well as eating much better and I have been losing weight at a decent rate. I am happy with this but I feel like my diet is light on protein. So I was looking around to replace my slim fast shake with a regular protein shake along with other stuff to get a majority of my nutrients that the slim fast was giving me as well as anything else I need.

I know eating whole foods is much better for me but with my limited time I rather be doing what I need to instead of preparing meals in advance.

So I really dont know what I need which is why I am asking. So I am looking for,

Protein shake, hopefully one that mixes well with water and tastes good. I usually use milk but would like to cut the extra calories unless they are needed for the nutrients.
Whatever else is needed to help me lose weight and get me the nutrients I need for the day.

PatrickValo86
10-28-2015, 10:16 AM
With school and a work I have limited time to do stuff. I am mostly just trying to lose weight at the moment. I have been using slim fast for the past few weeks and combined with working on my feet more as well as eating much better and I have been losing weight at a decent rate. I am happy with this but I feel like my diet is light on protein. So I was looking around to replace my slim fast shake with a regular protein shake along with other stuff to get a majority of my nutrients that the slim fast was giving me as well as anything else I need.

I know eating whole foods is much better for me but with my limited time I rather be doing what I need to instead of preparing meals in advance.

So I really dont know what I need which is why I am asking. So I am looking for,

Protein shake, hopefully one that mixes well with water and tastes good. I usually use milk but would like to cut the extra calories unless they are needed for the nutrients.
Whatever else is needed to help me lose weight and get me the nutrients I need for the day.

One thing I have liked in the past is if I am not on super low carb or have like oats for breakfast or at any other meal. Throw the oats in with your protein for your shake, depending on when you do it you can get a nice little meal with a good mixture of carbs and protein in the shaker bottle. You could do that first thing in the am if that is your sole carb meal, or do that pre workout.

Slim fast is not a good option as but I don't think it's the best way to get ample protein. You should look for a whey or a whey isolate that would help you get ample protein in for your diet for recovery and gains (or fat loss).

desslok
10-28-2015, 11:43 AM
In the time it takes you ti get the blender out, get your protein out, unscrew the lid, dig for the scooper, get the milk out of the fridge, pour some milk in the blender, add the powder, blend it for a few seconds, pour your shake into a glass, clean the blender and put it away, i could have easily opened a 2 pound package of Trader Joes Carne Asada and tossed it on the grill, do something else and come back to it 5 minutes later and pull off the grill. A lot of the "time saving" or "convenience" is purely in your head.

andrdfry
10-28-2015, 11:58 AM
In the time it takes you ti get the blender out, get your protein out, unscrew the lid, dig for the scooper, get the milk out of the fridge, pour some milk in the blender, add the powder, blend it for a few seconds, pour your shake into a glass, clean the blender and put it away, i could have easily opened a 2 pound package of Trader Joes Carne Asada and tossed it on the grill, do something else and come back to it 5 minutes later and pull off the grill. A lot of the "time saving" or "convenience" is purely in your head.

I dont use a blender I use a shaker while im driving to work and my house has horrible hot water and dont want to take 10 minutes cleaning a skillet. Also trying to save money, not trying to spend $7+ a meal.

dipatel13
10-28-2015, 12:01 PM
You're doing something wrong if meals come out +$7 when cooking at home.

andrdfry
10-28-2015, 12:05 PM
You're doing something wrong if meals come out +$7 when cooking at home.

He said 2 pounds of carne sada. The cheapest we have that is $5 a pound in my area.

dipatel13
10-28-2015, 12:11 PM
I don't know about you, but I can't eat 32 oz of meat in a meal. 6-8 oz usually which would come out to $2-3

desslok
10-28-2015, 12:43 PM
I don't know about you, but I can't eat 32 oz of meat in a meal. 6-8 oz usually which would come out to $2-3

Thats what I meant, i cook 2-4 pounds at a time , takes me 5 minutes, and have lunch for the week.

dipatel13
10-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Thats what I meant, i cook 2-4 pounds at a time , takes me 5 minutes, and have lunch for the week.

OP- 2 birds with 1 stone. Non-shake meal and helps with your limited time

EjnarKolinkar
10-28-2015, 01:27 PM
500 word OP to ask about whey that mixes well?

BioX chocolate peanut swirl is tasty OP. Id take carne asada over it any day though

MetilHed
10-28-2015, 03:10 PM
He said 2 pounds of carne sada. The cheapest we have that is $5 a pound in my area.

Definitely stay in school.

andrdfry
10-29-2015, 09:47 AM
Well thanks for everyone who was not helpful.

ChaoticReignPbt
10-29-2015, 11:02 AM
Well thanks for everyone who was not helpful.Can you blame them? This question comes up every other day. And 99% of the time it isn't a genuine time constraint, just poor time management. My prep for the WEEK takes a little over an hour. No one is so busy that they can't spare an hour or two per week.

What you "need" is to read the stickies and get a better understanding of nutrition. We can't tell you what is right for YOU to lose weight because your requirements are individual. The calorie target I lose weight on will not be the same as yours.