PDA

View Full Version : Potency loss after blender?

MisterYoung
10-21-2015, 07:57 AM
I vaguely remember reading somewhere several years ago that if you're going to make a power smoothie, you should wait until you're ready to drink it, because something about the blender process makes certain things lose their potency. Anyone know anything about this? I'm kind of fuzzy on it. Specifically, I'm trying to limit how much I have to do in the morning by shifting as much as possible to the night before, without compromising quality. So I'm wondering how much of the following I can make at night (maybe 9pm or so) and not lose any potency by about 3pm the next day?

* 2.00 cups Organic Baby Spinach
* 1.50 Scoop Whey Protein Powder
* 1.00 teaspoon (5ml) Norwegian Cod Liver Oil Lightly Lemon Taste
* 8.00 oz Water
* 1.00 cup frozen berries
* 8.00 fl oz Orange Juice
* 5g creatine

kitkatbarr1
10-21-2015, 08:05 AM
You are fine to pre mix your shakes the night before!

rdridi
10-21-2015, 02:53 PM
I have heard something similar... Same kind of thing where I don't know where I heard or read it but I know I have... I know whenever I make a shake like that... After leaving the shake for awhile, the taste isn't nearly as sweet and tastes pretty s**tty... I would suggest trying to make your shakes right before if you're gonna add the fruits and veggies... Look at maybe getting a magic bullet?

chemo29
10-21-2015, 04:04 PM
enzymes contained in cell walls of vegetable produces are liberated when the cells are broken. These enzymes will accelerate the degradation of the product and free oxydation sensitive compounds such as vitamins

Now how do you break vegetables' cells walls?
cutting, poking, pulsing, blending, etc.
Ever noticed how fruits get rapidly bad around the area you poked them?

Anyway for that reason and because blending increases the surface area of oxydation (oxygen is distributed into the drink, accelerating the degradation of oxydation sensitive nutrients), shakes are best when consumed ASAP

better yet, use nature's blender: your teeth, and let your bowels do the shaking

MisterYoung
10-22-2015, 06:19 AM
I have heard something similar... Same kind of thing where I don't know where I heard or read it but I know I have... I know whenever I make a shake like that... After leaving the shake for awhile, the taste isn't nearly as sweet and tastes pretty s**tty... I would suggest trying to make your shakes right before if you're gonna add the fruits and veggies... Look at maybe getting a magic bullet?

The Magic Bullet looks great, but those containers are way too small!

enzymes contained in cell walls of vegetable produces are liberated when the cells are broken. These enzymes will accelerate the degradation of the product and free oxydation sensitive compounds such as vitamins

Anyway for that reason and because blending increases the surface area of oxydation (oxygen is distributed into the drink, accelerating the degradation of oxydation sensitive nutrients), shakes are best when consumed ASAP

better yet, use nature's blender: your teeth, and let your bowels do the shaking

Sadly, nature's blender is quite slow; and time is very much a factor, hence my desire to to mix ahead of time.

EjnarKolinkar
10-22-2015, 07:37 AM

Yep, I mean anybody ever tried to keep a jamba juice overnight in the fridge knows it goes to hell.