PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Macros and dieting

jKam83
09-23-2015, 12:44 PM
32 year old male, 6 foot 5 and usually around 235-240 lbs (currently 236). BF around 20%. Looking to gain some lean mass. Current program is Fierce 5 beginner (have been going to the gym for about 2 years + but mostly just various Brosplit programs).

I took the average of MSJ and KM to get BMR of around 2146 with af of 1.3 for daily kcals of 2790, I did increase slightly to 2870 with hopes of gaining some lean mass as previously stated.

Macro's work out to : P-214, F-107, C-260

Do these numbers seem reasonable for my size, age, and goals?

dipatel13
09-23-2015, 12:51 PM
I'll mention this, most people here would not recommend bulking when you're over 20% BF. At that point you're just adding more fat and the muscle gained will not be that noticeable. You may want to cut down and then lean bulk

mjf100215
09-23-2015, 01:05 PM
BMR of around 2146 with af of 1.3 for daily kcals of 2790, I did increase slightly to 2870 with hopes of gaining some lean mass as previously stated.

So, you increased from an estimate by 80 calories to bulk???

First off, the calculation is an estimate. Monitoring via a scale and making adjustments is the only way to really know what is true.

Second, a 10% increase puts you at 3069 while 20 puts you at 3444. An 80 calorie surplus is pointless and a waste of time.

Domicron
09-23-2015, 01:22 PM
you got a picture?

i'm slow bulking (technically, been at a bit of a standstill lately with being so busy) and i'm around 20%. i tried to cut but honestly without much muscle mass it's kind of a ****ty process: low calories and i didn't improve in looks at all.

i think you should start by learning to accurately track your food using a food scale and see how your daily food intake compares with your TDEE and Macro calculations. figure out your TDEE (if you track for 2 weeks and your weight stays the same, you just average your daily calories) and then bump it up by a couple hundred. stick to your training and keep eating as long as your weight is moving up by about a half pound a week.

IME your physical appearance in the mirror doesn't change that fast, so the key is to keep an eye out not looking for improvement, but looking for excess fat gain. that's happened in the past when my training lagged behind but my eating didnt (big surprise).

if you decide to cut, you gotta commit to it. i've tried a few times and decided i wasn't willing to drop calories as low as i'd need to get to 10% bf (and i realized i'd look even worse than i do now). but with your size, you might be able to make it happen.

my 2 cents