PDA

View Full Version : Has politics always been this polarizing?

GhenghisPWN
09-22-2015, 12:16 PM
I'm getting sick of politics. It was fun to poke around, read, and listen to political opinion at first, but the hostility is getting old.

Both sides (which is dumb that we have two choices essentially) revert to using boilerplate arguments to prove their point and very few people actually open their mind to consider an opposing view. I will say there are roughly 3-4 well-spoken individuals who articulate well and actually listen. Props to CitizenVagrant and GOO for being two such people.

I'm not 30 yet, but I keep hearing this is the most polarized politics has been. Is this true? What can we do to improve our situation that often leads us to gridlock and government shut downs? Do we need direct democracy to stop these political sockpuppets from screwing up government?

IronRooster2
09-22-2015, 12:32 PM
No, it's not even close. These are really mild times. We're probably going to shut down the government because Planned Parenthood helps poor people not die, but that's no different than when Newt did it in the 90's. Before that we had:

* It was de-facto legal in the south to murder black men until the '60's. Dat jury nullification.
* Slavery is still constitutional and was widely practiced into the 1950's.
* They used to set buses on fire for the crime of interracial bus riding.
* People used to be shot to death in the streets for asking for a raise.
* People in congress used to try to kill each other.
* Abraham Lincoln was able to win ONLY because the South couldn't stand nominating a moderate democrat and had to put up their own guy who wanted slavery put into the constitution so it would be everywhere forever. If they didn't split the vote because of being so horrible and stupid (the two tend to go hand in hand), the civil war never would have happened.

Wake me up when we start having riots in the streets. Otherwise we're playing kindergarten kiddie politics.

BobisMighty
09-22-2015, 01:09 PM
It might seem more polarizing in the public's purview, but from the politician's standpoint it's pretty tame. I mean, dudes used to duel over this stuff.

Flakker
09-22-2015, 02:55 PM
I'm getting sick of politics. It was fun to poke around, read, and listen to political opinion at first, but the hostility is getting old.

Both sides (which is dumb that we have two choices essentially) revert to using boilerplate arguments to prove their point and very few people actually open their mind to consider an opposing view. I will say there are roughly 3-4 well-spoken individuals who articulate well and actually listen. Props to CitizenVagrant and GOO for being two such people.

I'm not 30 yet, but I keep hearing this is the most polarized politics has been. Is this true? What can we do to improve our situation that often leads us to gridlock and government shut downs? Do we need direct democracy to stop these political sockpuppets from screwing up government?

Yes and no.

Like IronRooster pointed out, compared with the past, things are pretty mellow. Kids aren't being gunned down by the national guard, no civil war, no dock riots, etc.

That said, our government is expanding, and the more it does, the more friction it will create. Everyone has an interest. As we, as individuals, grow into special interest individuals, we will find more polarity in government. That is, we used to just argue about minor deviance from the constitution - but now that we've pretty much abandoned the constitution, we're in what amounts to a zero sum game of vote-yourself-some-goodies. This will inevitably lead to conflict and the conflict will grow over time as the state grows.

Moreover, we have two symbiotic media that grow stronger based on conflict - the national media and social media. These two elements have an inherently dehumanizing effect, see the largest growth when playing on negative emotions of fear, anger and reactionism, and profit via faux-scandal. They encourage us to view all opposing viewpoints as stupid, evil and unworthy of consideration, while reinforcing preexisting prejudice to ones own viewpoint. The death of the local paper was inevitable, but what was once a nice blend of variying viewpoints that created a sort of regional thought pattern has given way to national syndicates that push one particular agenda. Thus, instead of people from a region reading one or two pieces of media and mostly agreeing with it, you have hard-line republicans reading drudge and fox news living next door to hard-line democrats watching MSNBC and reading huffpo.

x-trainer ben
09-22-2015, 03:10 PM

Replying from dc here, and the media influence has people thinking all kinds of dumb chit.
I still don't understand why idiots watch cable tv since it is infotainment.
All of the grass roots social media stuff has many politicians saying crazy stuff just to get elected, whether they believe it or not.
I don't see any solutions since the influence of money is so obvious.

tpt
09-22-2015, 04:07 PM
No, it's not even close. These are really mild times. We're probably going to shut down the government because Planned Parenthood helps poor people not die, but that's no different than when Newt did it in the 90's. Before that we had:

* It was de-facto legal in the south to murder black men until the '60's. Dat jury nullification.
* Slavery is still constitutional and was widely practiced into the 1950's.
* They used to set buses on fire for the crime of interracial bus riding.
* People used to be shot to death in the streets for asking for a raise.
* People in congress used to try to kill each other.
* Abraham Lincoln was able to win ONLY because the South couldn't stand nominating a moderate democrat and had to put up their own guy who wanted slavery put into the constitution so it would be everywhere forever. If they didn't split the vote because of being so horrible and stupid (the two tend to go hand in hand), the civil war never would have happened.

Wake me up when we start having riots in the streets. Otherwise we're playing kindergarten kiddie politics.

Agreed with op at first then this post just changed my opinion. This is mild politics compared to the old days. I dont see political parties bombing each others buildings to win like in other places in the world

NumeroOnce
09-22-2015, 06:04 PM
I blame the media.

Scarrdbutsmartr
09-22-2015, 06:08 PM
As an old guy it's absolutely feels like the most polarized period Ive experienced. It isn't country first it's party first these days. There are people that would rather watch the country burn if their party loses....I don't ever recall that attitude in the past...

In addition the parties seemed closer together in ideals a few decades back. Today the parties are so far apart and the candidates that do find the middle seem closer to the fringes of a few decades ago...

That's my impression..