PDA

View Full Version : Sciatica

New York
09-17-2003, 03:33 PM
anyone have bad sciatica?
Any suggestions on stretches or a work out program?
I had back surgery 6 years ago.
been training again for almost 1 year. I am happy with the small results i have achieved .
The sciatica kills me but I have been working thru it
but now my groin hurts so bad i bearly want to work out & my left ankle feels like it has been getting hit with a baseball. Any and all suggestions Please !!!

LadyStarlight
09-17-2003, 06:20 PM
got sciatica during my first pregnancy - by the end i could literally not walk, for portios of the day i was crawling! (pretty sight, eh?)

twinges will come and go on the right hip to this day....sympathy twinges forming now. it's a love/hate thing with me and sciatica - i actually like the feeling in little amounts! bizarre? truly!

the only relief i found - other than plenty of hot baths - was to feel and knead the area the origin of the pain came from - for me, it was in the right flank. you actually get to the point where you can find and manipulate that deliquent nerve. my ex-husband actually loved to do it - sometimes a different pair of hands can do it better. when the nerve is found and moved just slightly - it's one of those oh-so-painful-but-feels-so-delightfully-good moments. it obviously won't eradicate it, but it will take away the intensity of the pain.

husband got it also while i was pregnant (of course) and being the baby - oops, i mean man - had to visit the doctor. doctor recommended lying with a book under the affected hip and that seemed to help him also. he probably also iced the area, too - i dont' remember.

hope this rambling helps somewhat

kmax
09-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Sorry to read this. If you mean Sciatica as being pain running down the back of the legs, I have never had it. But I have had
areas of numbness in my legs, a pins and needles type feeling,
leg pain and groin pain. So I've had everything else.

I have been going to chiropractor for about 10 years and of all these problems the one that I can get immediate relief from is usully the groin pain. But that's me and everyone is different.
In your case I would go to a Chiropractor because your spinal column is obviously out of allignment somewhere.

Get better soon.

FerrisBuller
09-17-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by New York
anyone have bad sciatica?
Any suggestions on stretches or a work out program?
I had back surgery 6 years ago.
been training again for almost 1 year. I am happy with the small results i have achieved .
The sciatica kills me but I have been working thru it
but now my groin hurts so bad i bearly want to work out & my left ankle feels like it has been getting hit with a baseball. Any and all suggestions Please !!!

Since you have had your surgery already the only suggestion I can give you is too seek out a good chiropractor and let him/her examine, x-ray, and adjust accordingly. I have the same problem plus disk and some nerve damage. I can no longer preform squats, deadlifts, barbell bent-over rows... ever, and screw anyone who tells you different. I have not had any surgery and will hold off until I can only crawl. Any exercise that places undo pressure on your spine (compression) should be removed from your workout routine. I also take MSM 2000mg, Glucosamine Sulfate 1500mg, Chondroitin Sulfate 1200mg, per 5 Capsules, recommended daily dose. I also ice the lower lumbar/sacrum area for twenty minutes each morning before heading off to the gym.

http://www.nutriteam.com/msm.htm#order

I found this works best for me, however every person and every injury is different. I have had this injury since 76' and it gets progressively worse with the advancing years... Also, and you have to be very careful with any prescription medicine, I take Vioxx, and Skelaxin, on days when the spasms are extreme, but only when the pain cannot be releived by supplements or ice. To protect my liver against pres. drugs I take Liv-52 and Milk Thistle.

http://www.hmdistributor.com/level.itml/icOid/61

kmax
09-17-2003, 06:51 PM
I agree with Ferris on his points. Squats, Deads and Bent Rows are usually trouble for back pain sufferers. I also wonder about seated presses and the weight it puts on the lower spine.

The things that aggravate my back are lying leg curls and leg extensions.
But I keep on hoping things will get better and the numbness will go away for good , someday.

Ferris, I have to question you on ice being any good before a workout. I would think some heat would be better.

FerrisBuller
09-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by kmax
I agree with Ferris on his points. Squats, Deads and Bent Rows are usually trouble for back pain sufferers. I also wonder about seated presses and the weight it puts on the lower spine.

The things that aggravate my back are lying leg curls and leg extensions.
But I keep on hoping things will get better and the numbness will go away for good , someday.

Ferris, I have to question you on ice being any good before a workout. I would think some heat would be better.

Not w/my injury. I've iced since 91' and it's been a life saver. However, every person/injury is different. What works for me may not work for someone else. That's why I suggested to New York - seek a chiropractors advice and let them shoot some pics and adjust where need be. Also, you are correct concerning seated presses... I only use dumbells and go for a pump w/light weight.

Macattack
09-17-2003, 10:18 PM
I went and saw a sports Chriopractor and he healed me......knock on wood i havent had it for about 5 years now it used to double me over sideways....

jsf61
09-18-2003, 06:59 AM
I have sciatica also, was so bad for awhile, mainly with sitting, that i almost had to drive with L foot, as I had pain from hip to ankle, when I first starting working out 2yrs ago, i had to limit my exercises, now it has vastly improved, partly to good tennis shoes i'm on feet 12-14hrs/day as a nurse, and also partly due to exercise I think, it's almost non-existent now, chiropractor couldn't do alot for me, although it helped briefly nothing long term, also heat is usually only good initially, it vasodilates causing blood flow to a usually already inflamed area.

hbk3
09-18-2003, 07:37 PM
a disc herniated or vertrabra moved out of alignment can cause this . my first time i was 16 picking up a cross tie in the back of a pickup the old faurt driving took off tweaked my back . im 36 and have pain in lumbar region radiating down leg for 20 years.

PeterMarshall89
03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Still in the process of recovering from sciatica after slipping two discs in my back about 7 months ago. I've been doing all my core strengthening exercises and flexibility training. I've started to also train legs and torso again recently. My core strength is starting to plateau off but I continue to make leg and torso gains. Is this okay? Should they be proportionate or do I only need to have a base core strength to protect myself from future injury?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TheIronMaster
03-14-2013, 12:23 PM
im having trouble with my proformas muscle wreaking havoc on sciatic nerve. Therapy has been helping. What sets if off for me is standing and walking on hard surfaces. Cement being the worse. Then macadam then wood floors. Can walk and stand in the grass no problem. Its a weird one to deal with. But so far therapy has been a great help. Also learn t some visceral ab exercises too. And some great stretches.

EnoRebmun
03-14-2013, 04:22 PM
It helps short term(5-10mins) but I also think it helps the next day...

BalhamBeast
03-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Sciatic pain can stem from several things. Disc issues is the most serious, but you can also get it from a tight piriformis or ITB. Foam rolling/rolling with a hard ball will help those two but you need to rule out the back issues first. See a physio.

44aussie
03-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Yep get it from sitting driving for long periods or shovelling, digging. I blame it for years in the construction industry and always carrying things on only my right shoulder. Slightly thrown out of kilter my right side.

I was scared for months to deadlift or squat but this does not bother my sciatica at all it seems, if anything seems to be helping. Leg raises are a different story though and when i do them i start with a slight bend in my knees. Straight leg feels like I'm being stabbed. Situps with bench declined are definately out too.

RT1957
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
When I get bouts of it I first lay facedown on the floor with my arms at my side and I just try to relax all the muscles in my back hips and legs and eventually my whole body and I'll lie there for a few minutes. This allows the bulging disc a chance to realign and drop back into place. The next thing i do is some floor cobras for a couple sets of 10 and then I get on my hands and knees and do the cat and camel stretches. My doctor gave me these exercises long ago, and I've been doing them for years. I lost 50+LBS over the last 1 1/2 years and now I very seldom suffer from it. I initially slipped a disc squatting many years ago. About 10 years ago I had a bout so bad my left foot was numb for about 3 months.

If it wasn't for the personal trainer I got with when I went back to the gym I would never have thought I'd be squatting or doing over head presses. Since getting with him we've concentrated on my lower back strength and flexibility. I Stretch and foam roll everyday. It's made a big difference in my overall functionality. Along with correcting my leg strength imbalance that caused my back injury. Left leg considerably weaker than my right

I do a lot of back extensions but I never had surgery so your situation is different. Have you gone to a doctor to talk about self corrective exercises. Most back doctors have this information

royalmike
03-20-2013, 12:40 AM
I have had two back operations mine is a bit of a mess worked as gas fitter for 25 years lifting awkward and very heavy boilers and on my knees all day. I wont consider using free weights just to risky,
Try an inversion table I use it twice a day every day and has helped a lot, losing weight will hopefully help as well.

johnemar22
03-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Have you tried Glucosomine Sulphate?

This allows water to be pulled into the joints tendons and in your case Discs. Usually sciatica is caused through the bulging disc or pinching of the sciatic nerve, which on many occasions is caused by de-hydrated joints etc. Taking Gluc, causes water to be absorbed into the discs/joints etc and swells them. This can then remove the problem as it frees the nerve.
It can take around 2 months to actually start to hydrate the the joints, but when it does you will certainly be able to tell.

Give it a go!

billb7581
03-20-2013, 03:29 PM
get this book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0958269238/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=2261492861&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17867874281381206493&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_3z3tg3xpoj_b

lensperson
03-20-2013, 06:19 PM
....sciatica kills me but I have been working thru it
chronic pain is a messenger, you would be best served to skill medical guidance rather than ask other here... back pain has many causes, mine is from lumbar spine issues (disk between L3 and L4) In my case sitting is not a good thing, walking provides excellent relief... I recommend studying William Southmayd, M,D. "Sports Health" The Complete Book of Athletic Injuries This tome was highly recommended by my orthopedic... the section on back pain is superb...

As others have rightly stated, Squats, dead lifts etc. should be avoided (add good mornings to that list) until you are pain free...

Working through chronic pain is placing your body in harms way for permanent irreversible damage...
Please seek medical guidance, the sooner the better...

btw, I now have a daily yoga practice that has increased the quality of life by and order of magnitude... Look into yoga, it is thousands of years old and is still wide spread, there are compelling reasons for this...

all the best on you journey...

chodan9
03-20-2013, 07:10 PM
lol
If they haven't found the answer in the last 10 years from where this thread was bumped they probably wont find it now ;)

bajabill
03-04-2016, 09:39 AM
about 8 years ago I was experiencing sciatica symptoms progressed nearly to one knee. Dr recommended physical therapy as the first course of action since my issue had gradually grown and I could not recall a single event that caused it. In other words, it came slowly, so don't jump onto the operating table out of desperation.

PT trialed and errored different ideas, and ultimately exercises compressing the disks (laying on stomach and lifting up on elbows) had positive results. Also light, seated, eccentric to the side cable rows were recommended.

Fast forward a few years, and the lower back pains returned, but not the sciatica in the leg, and I started doing some of the exercises again but the improvements were not as noticeable. At my age, I have learned to deal with things and adapt.

Now, I recently started again in weight exercising with the cable exercises but now have incorporated some vertical whole body lifting.

Using about 150-250 for a high (~18 inch) rack pull seems to protect my back while also loading it. My lower back issue seems to be responding well to this exercise so I am going to continue with it. Also, I am doing protected squats (to a bench) with less than my body weight. Hopefully these are improving lower back core muscles and loading the spine in the vertical and near vertical posture.

thoughts.....similar experiences ....?

Welder460
03-05-2016, 05:25 PM
I've been a custom fab welder 20+ years sitting on steel for years caused mine to punish me. Moved wallet to front pocket and never put anything in back pockets anymore.sit evenly when sitting. Twice a week light leg and core work really helped me out,light squats,dumbell lunges, one leg sqauts done wonders for me. Can actually sqaut weight now. And no more numb left leg and toes. Hope it gets better for ya. That pain is no joke