PDA

View Full Version : NPC or OCB?

StriveForHonor
08-02-2015, 12:29 AM
How's it going everybody?

I'm a rookie when it comes to physique competitions, and I'm cutting my teeth to be able to compete, HOWEVER, I'm hearing lots of negative things about NPC competitions, and people are steering me toward OCBs. I know little to nothing about either, but I'm still learning every day.

Would anybody with competition experience in one or both organizations give a few brief bullet point about each, or at least some tips? I'd like some ideas!

Thanks everyone!

-KL

Mikey13Buddha
08-03-2015, 02:45 PM
How's it going everybody?

I'm a rookie when it comes to physique competitions, and I'm cutting my teeth to be able to compete, HOWEVER, I'm hearing lots of negative things about NPC competitions, and people are steering me toward OCBs. I know little to nothing about either, but I'm still learning every day.

Would anybody with competition experience in one or both organizations give a few brief bullet point about each, or at least some tips? I'd like some ideas!

Thanks everyone!

-KL

I work in both organizations and a few others. NPC tends to be fairest IMO as far as judging goes. OCB would be least fair/consistent from what I can tell from the last few years. You'll VERY OFTEN see judging panels with numerous active coaches...their people tend to place regardless of conditioning and beat athletes on things like "stage presence" when you get feedback later. I will say this, if you come in looking like 1st place, you'll get a shot at it. If you come in looking like 4th place, they'll place someone more familiar in the top 5. It's happened at a large chunk of the OCB shows I've been to.

What specific issues are you asking about? OCB shows tend to get out the latest for their size but the last few this year (though smaller) have gotten out nice and early so they might be working on that. All in all, they all put on great shows. I'll also mention INBF/WNBF which is top notch and is run by some good people who give a fair shake regardless of affiliations.

StriveForHonor
08-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback man, I sure do appreciate it!

I guess I was just concerned about really how "natural" some of the competition REALLY is. Again, I don't know a whole lot about any of these organizations, but you hear lots of rumors from youtube fitness gurus that makes you question if you have a fair shake without crossing a line supplement-wise.

I was pretty aware of how political it could be, and I would've actually pegged NPC to be worse, but the info you provided definitely gives me some reassurance.