PDA

View Full Version : Vegan - protein powder enough?

nyabc
07-31-2015, 11:15 AM
If I only use protein powders that have complete proteins, or form them together, is that enough?

I researched plenty of triathletes and bodybuilders who are vegan and I am a woman, so please don't discuss the drawbacks/muscle size issues. I also eat meat, I am just going through a stage where I don't have time to cook and am not into it, so I want to just do shakes as long as they don't compromise my health. Will prob eat meat/eggs once a week anyway. No dairy.

I'm using proteins with: rice, amaranth, buckwheat, millet, quinoa, chia, different beans, seeds, etc. Love the raw meal but also use rice, hemp and pea protein.

I did a search on the other threads but did not see this topic.

Any experience welcome!!

Jcart159
07-31-2015, 11:30 AM
How much protein are you eating per day, and how much of that is going to be coming from powders?

It's completely fine to drink a shake or two everyday if you are hitting macro and micro minimums, but if you were getting a large portion of your protein strictly from powders I might be a bit skeptical...

Don't forget that you also get protein from the different foods you eat throughout the day like beans and such.

Also, if you are eating meat/veg once a week, why do your protein powders need to be kept vegan? You could buy regular protein powder which is probably more effective, and definitely cheaper than the vegan alternatives.

OT2000
07-31-2015, 12:07 PM
Really no such thing as an incomplete protein in general. There may be smaller amounts of certain amino acids, but they are still there. So in theory, there is no such thing as an incomplete protein powder if it is made from whole foods and not isolated Aminos. If you are getting protein from other sources like you noted, then you are fine with buying any protein powder from a reputable brand. Keep in mind, only buy it if you can't get enough protein from whole food sources. You may be getting enough already and don't need the extra. For a good vegan source, I like San Rawfusion.

desslok
07-31-2015, 12:40 PM
thats fine but from a health perspective should also get a variety of vegetables and fruits. Can throw some in your shake.

nyabc
08-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I put greens and fruits in my smoothies but need to figure out some vegetable dishes I like. That's the next step for me.

The Rawfusion powder looks good. I don't eat dairy so no whey.

I was doing 40-60gms of protein powder a day plus one serving of meat or eggs. But I think I need more so I added beans lately.

Hope that's enough. I'm not lifting heavy now- doing some rehab PT at the moment so I think that's ok for my size. I'll do more when I start lifting heavier.