PDA

View Full Version : 21 Tired of Being Skinny

Syphlox
07-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Hey all.

So I am 21 years old, and looking to bulk. I am honestly not 100% sure how much I weigh since my scale is old and I'm 99% sure broken, so somewhere from 120-125 @ 5'9.

Bottom line is, I'm tired of being a skinny ***got. I need to eat, but eating has been the hardest part for me by far. I know what exercises to do in the Gym, and I can push myself in the Gym, however it's outside the Gym is the issue. I need dietary tips/information from you guys, how to eat 2.5k-3k Calories a day when I'm so used to eating like 1800. Anything you guys can offer is appreciated, including any recipes. I know oatmeal and peanut butter are good for bulking, any ways to combine those that doesn't taste like garbage? Hopefully next year at this time I'll be asking dieting for cutting rather than Bulking.

sevenhm
07-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Eat calorie dense foods. Peanut butter, eggs, milk , nuts, etc. No one can tell you what combinations of food you will enjoy. Tons of youtube video's for recipes, just search "bulking meal" , michael kory , theproteinchef.
Allrecipes (http://allrecipes.com/)

Please refer to:
Calculating Calories and Macronutrients (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183)
Nutrition For Newbies & Must Read Threads (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851)
Discretionary Calorie Allowance (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471)
The dirt on clean eating (http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/)

digistp
07-24-2015, 02:12 PM
cheeseburgers, pizza, etc. Easy.

blue9steel
07-24-2015, 02:34 PM
As sevenhm said, eat more calorie dense foods. Fats are your friend. Heck, make a piece of toast, slather it with butter and then a thick layer of almond butter and you get easily get over a 1000 calories right there. Use heavy cream in your coffee. Put butter, mayo or cheese on everything. Add shredded coconut to your protein shakes. Drink milk with all your meals. Eat fatty meats like pepperoni or prime rib. You get the idea.

dee45special
07-24-2015, 03:46 PM
I know oatmeal and peanut butter are good for bulking, any ways to combine those that doesn't taste like garbage?

make with chocolate milk. Peanut butter cup oatmeal

In general adding fats, creams, sauces can make meals more calorie dense.

Liquid meals generally don't leave you full as long as solid meals.

Pizza is my go to

magician27
07-24-2015, 06:14 PM
http://ei.marketwatch.com//Multimedia/2013/06/19/Photos/MG/MW-BE377_hi_cal_20130619175711_MG.jpg?uuid=434a12c2-d92b-11e2-91d1-002128040cf6

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/2010/04/living/gallery.fast.food.calories/images/hrzgal.kfc.jpg

http://blogs.uoregon.edu/natewoodburyaad250/files/2012/10/PSD_Food_illustrations_3190_pancakes_with_butter-1wi1tz5.jpg

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/e/e4/Get-Rid-of-Food-Poisoning-Step-1.jpg/670px-Get-Rid-of-Food-Poisoning-Step-1.jpg

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2010/04/13/GC_good-eats-meatloaf_s4x3_lg.jpg

http://ladywiththeredrocker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Sausage-Pasta-3.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/peerfit.wpcontent/2013/07/dessert2.jpg

http://icecreamjournal.turkeyhill.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/banana-split.jpg

blue9steel
07-24-2015, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't recommend most of those for regular use. Just because you're trying to add calories doesn't mean you should switch to a junk food diet.

tucci420
07-24-2015, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't recommend most of those for regular use. Just because you're trying to add calories doesn't mean you should switch to a junk food diet.

lol

magician27
07-24-2015, 10:36 PM

well , protein carbs and fats . thats what you need to gain weight . one dont have to eat peanut butter chicken breast brocoli sweet potato and oats. food is food, food is good

blue9steel
07-25-2015, 08:40 AM
well , protein carbs and fats . thats what you need to gain weight . one dont have to eat peanut butter chicken breast brocoli sweet potato and oats. food is food, food is good

While macros will of course have the largest effect, food quality does have other impacts which are relevant. For example, gelatin has plenty of protein but has insufficient amino acids, you could actually die by using gelatin as your main protein source. Another example, I was listening to NPR yesterday and they discussed a new study that shows adding just one soda a day increases your chances of getting diabetes by 16% even for people who are thin and active.

Mrpb
07-25-2015, 09:02 AM

What exactly would be wrong with those foods if they are eaten within a diet that reaches macro and micronutrient sufficiency?

magician27
07-25-2015, 09:43 AM
While macros will of course have the largest effect, food quality does have other impacts which are relevant. For example, gelatin has plenty of protein but has insufficient amino acids, you could actually die by using gelatin as your main protein source. Another example, I was listening to NPR yesterday and they discussed a new study that shows adding just one soda a day increases your chances of getting diabetes by 16% even for people who are thin and active.

in lack of macros , micros dont built muscle alone though.

Mrpb
07-25-2015, 09:49 AM
I was listening to NPR yesterday and they discussed a new study that shows adding just one soda a day increases your chances of getting diabetes by 16% even for people who are thin and active.

Observational study and afaik that statement did not apply to exercising individuals.

blue9steel
07-25-2015, 12:52 PM
What exactly would be wrong with those foods if they are eaten within a diet that reaches macro and micronutrient sufficiency?

Meeting the micro objective would be much harder in this scenario and it depends on exactly what you mean. If we assume away any issues with vitamin & mineral consumption that still leaves the composition of the macros and their effects. Different amino acids, fatty acids, and saccharides have different effects. As an obvious example, different types of carbohydrates can have profoundly different insulin impacts. Another example, the MCTs in coconut oil have a variety of beneficial properties.

Look, I'm not suggesting the chicken breast and broccoli diet, I'm just saying that there are additional health and physique effects outside of macro composition that are worth considering. Adding calories is easy, there is no reason to reach for the pop tarts just to up your calorie total, especially when starting from such a low base. No need to take my word for it, look at the articles about Dave Tate. A massive powerlifter who was eating over 10k calories a day and much of it total junk. His blood work and health were awful, some very moderate dietary changes produced huge improvements in both his lab markers and how he felt on a daily basis.

Does this mean you should never eat ice cream, have a stack of white flour pancakes with maple syrup or chow down some fast food? No, it just means those items should be the exception rather than the bulk of what you're consuming. *shrug* That's my take anyways.

Gxp23
07-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Meeting the micro objective would be much harder in this scenario and it depends on exactly what you mean. If we assume away any issues with vitamin & mineral consumption that still leaves the composition of the macros and their effects. Different amino acids, fatty acids, and saccharides have different effects. As an obvious example, different types of carbohydrates can have profoundly different insulin impacts. Another example, the MCTs in coconut oil have a variety of beneficial properties.

Look, I'm not suggesting the chicken breast and broccoli diet, I'm just saying that there are additional health and physique effects outside of macro composition that are worth considering. Adding calories is easy, there is no reason to reach for the pop tarts just to up your calorie total, especially when starting from such a low base. No need to take my word for it, look at the articles about Dave Tate. A massive powerlifter who was eating over 10k calories a day and much of it total junk. His blood work and health were awful, some very moderate dietary changes produced huge improvements in both his lab markers and how he felt on a daily basis.

Does this mean you should never eat ice cream, have a stack of white flour pancakes with maple syrup or chow down some fast food? No, it just means those items should be the exception rather than the bulk of what you're consuming. *shrug* That's my take anyways.

More than half the foods posted there were more micro dense than "Put butter, mayo or cheese on everything".

Also comparing someones diet like a powerlifter that eates 10k cals a day to someone who will be barely eating 3000 give or take is just plain silly.

I dont think you get what people are getting at when they post these pics, they are not insinuating that these foods should be a daily staple in ones diet.

blue9steel
07-25-2015, 03:19 PM
I dont think you get what people are getting at when they post these pics, they are not insinuating that these foods should be a daily staple in ones diet.

That wasn't the impression I got, but this conversation isn't helping the OP, so I'm going to leave it there.

Mrpb
07-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Meeting the micro objective would be much harder in this scenario and it depends on exactly what you mean. If we assume away any issues with vitamin & mineral consumption that still leaves the composition of the macros and their effects. Different amino acids, fatty acids, and saccharides have different effects.

You're assuming that the examples in the pictures are all they eat. If they would they could never reach micronutrient sufficiency.

No one is recommending a diet deficient in micronutrients.

Different amino acids

The majority of the pictures has meat in them. That's the best amino acid profile you can get.

ErikTheElectric
07-25-2015, 10:38 PM
4 tablespoons of PB = Easy 400 kcals
Milk
Pizza
Chicken Breast
Olive Oil

No excuses really..

blue9steel
07-26-2015, 07:16 AM
The majority of the pictures has meat in them. That's the best amino acid profile you can get.

Well I'm certainly not recommending he avoid meat, that would be counter-productive to say the least. I think everyone is blowing what I was saying all out of proportion. Let me summarize a bit:

1) In general the quality of what you eat does matter, sure calories and macros matter more, but it is relevant
2) For physique purposes if you need to add calories to an otherwise good bodybuilding diet fats are generally going to be a better choice than sugars

For the individual pictures:

Fast food hamburger: Hamburgers are great, eat them as much as you like, fast food hamburgers are generally made with low quality ingredients though and the bread is not the best so I'd go easy on those.
KFC Double stack: Chicken, cheese and bacon is a good meal but preparation matters. Alice springs style is going to be better for you than battered and deep fried.
White flour pancakes with maple syrup: This is a heavy insulin impact meal, post workout that's not a big deal though even then I'd use it sparingly, the rest of the time it's probably not optimal
Rice with meat and gravy: Rice is great, eat plenty of it. Meat is good obviously. Gravy can be ok, though commercial versions are usually low quality and based on white flour which I'd normally stay away from.
Meatloaf with salad: Fantastic meal, have it as much as you like.
Pasta with meat sauce and salad: For an ectomorph on a bulking cycle this is excellent as long as it doesn't fill you up so much that you have trouble eating your next meal.
Ice cream and chocolate cake: The cream isn't an issue but commercial ice cream and cake are heavy on added sugar and white flour, personally I'd consider this a cheat meal rather than something that's part of the normal diet
Ice cream sunday: Again, heavy on the sugar.

Mrpb
07-26-2015, 07:25 AM
2) For physique purposes if you need to add calories to an otherwise good bodybuilding diet fats are generally going to be a better choice than sugars

That's is incorrect. Most overfeeding studies actually show a benefit of carbs.

Especially for active lean young kid as OP, who likely has good insulin sensitivity, is better off overfeeding on carbs.

Rice is great, eat plenty of it.

You're warning everyone about insulin yet you think rice is great. Here's a tip, look up the insulin index of rice.

Not that the OP has any business worrying about insulin.

blue9steel
07-26-2015, 07:31 AM
That's is incorrect. Most overfeeding studies actually show a benefit of carbs.

I did mean sugars in the more normal definition in this case rather than carbs in general, but I take your point.

That doesn't match what I've read elsewhere but I'm always interested in more info. Do you have any particular studies I should look at?

You're warning everyone about insulin yet you think rice is great. Here's a tip, look up the insulin index of rice.

It comes in a wide variety, some are decent, some are most definitely not.

*shrug* obviously if you don't think insulin management is relevant then we're going to have very different views.

Mrpb
07-26-2015, 08:01 AM
a new study that shows adding just one soda a day increases your chances of getting diabetes by 16% even for people who are thin and active.

Did you know that there are many observational studies that found that red meat intake correlates with cancer?

And studies that high protein intake also correlates with cancer?

Yet we don't advise against meat or protein. Because correlation doesn't prove causation.

That doesn't match what I've read elsewhere but I'm always interested in more info. Do you have any particular studies I should look at?

"Excess dietary fat leads to greater fat accumulation than does excess dietary carbohydrate, and the difference was greatest early in the overfeeding period."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7598063

I expect you haven't been reading bodybuilding specific information. If interested look up what Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon write, they recommend overfeeding on carbs if the person has good insulin sensitivity.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/macronutrient-intake-for-mass-gains-qa.html/

*shrug* obviously if you don't think insulin management is relevant then we're going to have very different views.

Yeah it's irrelevant in this thread.

ErikTheElectric
07-26-2015, 08:03 AM
^

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mrpb again."

blue9steel
07-27-2015, 07:53 AM
I expect you haven't been reading bodybuilding specific information.

So I went back and read through my own postings in this thread and I seem to have gone off on a strange tangent. While I do believe the peanut butter is likely a better choice than a cherry slurpee, somehow I ended up implying that carbs were a poor choice for bulking. That's not what I believe and more importantly it's wrong, for that I apologize, especially since it probably was confusing to the OP. Furthermore calories are the #1 thing in a bulk or cut, if you can't get that right then worrying about food choices is just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic anyways.

If interested look up what Lyle McDonald

Lyle is a sharp cookie and good writer, I think I've read pretty much everything on his site at this point. I might quibble over one or two minor issues, but for the most part I agree with just about everything he's got to say.

Not sure why I got so far off track but thanks for staying reasonable and giving me a smack upside the head when I needed it.

jindesu
07-27-2015, 07:58 AM
OP, also buy a new scale.