PDA

View Full Version : When did whey powder become considered better than eggs and meat?!

Super_Ectomorph
07-23-2015, 09:22 AM
I haven't bought any powder for about 6 years, its become more convenient for me to do so for the next year due to personal reasons though. I remember reading back then that eggs were the ultimate protein source and that lean meats and fish were second best; but both being way better than whey, whose main saving grace was its convenience!

I have been googling a lot recently trying to decide what brand of whey to use, and wtf apparently its considered way better than meat and eggs, because it has artificially enhanced the most important amino acids for weightlifters. Sounds weird to me. I know whey powder has become more fashionable recently , is it possible that this is all just BS info ?

edit: I also read recently that soy, which i'm pretty sure was mocked routinely years ago, is now considered equal to egg protein :/

Mrpb
07-23-2015, 09:38 AM
There's a lot of misinformation online. I suggest you start reading reliable sources. I've mentioned a few in my signature.

jdrush
07-23-2015, 10:17 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO_z0GYLV1NXw82nfY01wx3hxvzi0-VpqbCDbyyZKvIQUx-7gZZw

Super_Ectomorph
07-23-2015, 02:18 PM
There's a lot of misinformation online. I suggest you start reading reliable sources. I've mentioned a few in my signature.

Ok, so what I have read recently is the misinformation? I'm not sure which is the broscience, getting a 50% divide on opinions.... pretty much everywhere I look.
but the more intelligent part of my brain knows that whey was just a huge waste product in the past.. and so there is enormous money to be made, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised that so many people have been convinced.............

Also, do the juices running from my freshly cooked chicken breasts contain any good nutrients or healthy fats? I am draining as much as possible atm. (random lol)

snorkelman
07-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Let me let you in on a little secret: The broscience will be quickly shot down in the NUTRITION forum. However, much of the remainder of the forums and the main site will contain lots of it. I would use the nutrition forum as a guidepost for what is not broscience until you get a better feel for this.

Also, in this specific forum, the reputation system is pretty accurate.

ironwill2008
07-23-2015, 02:27 PM
When did whey powder become considered better than eggs and meat?!

When the people who market and sell it told us it was.

There's nothing wrong with using a quality, US-manufactured whey powder as a supplement to your daily protein intake. Just be aware that your first choice should always be regular food.

rhadam
07-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Ok, so what I have read recently is the misinformation? I'm not sure which is the broscience, getting a 50% divide on opinions.... pretty much everywhere I look.
but the more intelligent part of my brain knows that whey was just a huge waste product in the past.. and so there is enormous money to be made, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised that so many people have been convinced.............

Also, do the juices running from my freshly cooked chicken breasts contain any good nutrients or healthy fats? I am draining as much as possible atm. (random lol)

byproduct =/= waste

That being said, if you have two choices, one being eat a piece of chicken or steak and two being drink a protein shake.. enjoy the delicious meat.

OT2000
07-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Whey just helps you get your protein macros in, that's it. Nothing else.

Eggs/Meat>Whey or any other processed protein powder

CreativeEvo
07-23-2015, 11:19 PM
I haven't bought any powder for about 6 years, its become more convenient for me to do so for the next year due to personal reasons though. I remember reading back then that eggs were the ultimate protein source and that lean meats and fish were second best; but both being way better than whey, whose main saving grace was its convenience!

I have been googling a lot recently trying to decide what brand of whey to use, and wtf apparently its considered way better than meat and eggs, because it has artificially enhanced the most important amino acids for weightlifters. Sounds weird to me. I know whey powder has become more fashionable recently , is it possible that this is all just BS info ?

edit: I also read recently that soy, which i'm pretty sure was mocked routinely years ago, is now considered equal to egg protein :/

Tough topic, and I know exactly where you're coming from. One thing to remember is that the nutrient density of food just isn't the same as what it used to be. Take grass-fed vs. grain-fed meat for instance. It may be the case that a whey-protein meal replacement or protein shake from grass-fed cows IS actually better for you than straight grain-fed meat. If you are looking for a protein supplement to fill the gaps for whatever reason, then start by making sure it's from grass-fed sources.

With that said, personally I'm a huge believer in getting quality nutrients from natural foods first, so stick to these like you are. Perhaps having a look for a Farmer's market for your produce can help to boost your nutrient intake a bit? Overall, just remember that supplements have exceptional marketing teams that are paid to make the products look great...not to mention going out of their way to make the general population believe that they're necessary.

Sounds like you're doing the right things mate, keep it up.

Mrpb
07-24-2015, 12:06 AM

Whey is fine. The juices in chicken are fine and very tasty.

For reliable information start with reading the websites in my signature and in the stickies.

Super_Ectomorph
07-24-2015, 01:53 AM
Hang on. So assuming I have all the vitamins and minerals I need already, and I am only considering protein requirements for maintaining/building muscle, then whey is as good as meat or eggs?

Mrpb
07-24-2015, 02:14 AM
Hang on. So assuming I have all the vitamins and minerals I need already, and I am only considering protein requirements for maintaining/building muscle, then whey is as good as meat or eggs?

It's perfect. In fact gram for gram protein whey is slightly better than anything else for stimulating muscle protein synthesis.

For building muscle a mix of half whey and half casein may be superior.

Super_Ectomorph
07-24-2015, 05:37 AM
It's perfect. In fact gram for gram protein whey is slightly better than anything else for stimulating muscle protein synthesis.

For building muscle a mix of half whey and half casein may be superior.

Crikey. Wish they could add extra aminos to meat as easily...

Mrpb
07-24-2015, 06:42 AM

Meat has all the aminos too. Just in slightly lower quantities per gram of protein.

Check the comparison table here: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-truth-about-protein.html

APA Lifter
07-24-2015, 11:48 AM
This is my take on it. Whey is a SUPPLEMENT not a REPLACEMENT. Use supplements to fill in the gaps of a food base diet. I take a shake morning, after workout, and bed. The rest of the day is filled with real foods. Another thing with whey supplements is the majority are loaded with fillers. Sugars, artificial flavors, chemicals etc. Do you really think that's better than wholesome food? I take a all natural, grass fed whey now. Alot more expensive but no fillers, no chemicals...clean. Its non flavored and tastes like rich whole milk. Once you've switched from main stream whey to a natural whey its night and day. Just something to keep in mind.

Moral of my story. Use a supplement as a "supplement" to a clean whole foods diet.

rhadam
07-24-2015, 11:53 AM

I don't see why you need to add aminos to meat. That doesn't make sense.

Mrpb
07-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Grass fed whey lol. Didn't know that existed.

APA Lifter
07-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Grass fed whey lol. Didn't know that existed.

Got to do your homework bra.

Mrpb
07-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Got to do your homework bra.

I personally don't believe in benefits of grass fed whey over regular. That's why I didn't research it. I buy regular whey with and without additives though.

dee45special
07-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Whey is a highly bio-available protein sources. http://www.hadassa.co.il/protein_-_which_is_best.pdf

Not to say that makes it best, but it is useful.