PDA

View Full Version : Should I bulk or cut in my current state?

hcrippers
07-15-2015, 06:38 AM
Super common question, should I bulk or cut? - in relation to my current weight / bf% below.

Previously used to weigh 225lbs, dropped down to 154lbs in about a year and a half (through T25 / P90X3); unfortunately been left with a bit of loose skin around my body (I'll upload pictures later if requested).

I then discovered bodybuilding and went on to a short bulk which lasted from Feb '15 to May, in which I put on 14lbs (168) and have been cutting since, and now sit at 164lbs and 14% bf (according to my scales). I'm also 22 and 6ft 2".

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

aaron501
07-15-2015, 08:03 AM
164lbs and 14% bf I'm also 22 and 6ft 2".

without pics i would tell you to bulk, but pics would help a lot as you may have more fat than you think

dragonman6
07-15-2015, 11:08 AM
If I were you I would definitely go on a bulk

hcrippers
07-15-2015, 01:26 PM
without pics i would tell you to bulk, but pics would help a lot as you may have more fat than you think

Thanks for the replies, here are some pictures, I'm thinking it's a mix of loose skin and some remaining belly fat.
Thing is when I roll it between my fingers I can only feel a few fat cells here and there, making me think it's more likely loose skin.

And when I lean over, my stomach hangs and it feels very empty and squishy (same for when I sit down).

Thanks for your help once again

hcrippers
07-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Bump

aaron501
07-15-2015, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the replies, here are some pictures, I'm thinking it's a mix of loose skin and some remaining belly fat.
Thing is when I roll it between my fingers I can only feel a few fat cells here and there, making me think it's more likely loose skin.

And when I lean over, my stomach hangs and it feels very empty and squishy (same for when I sit down).

Thanks for your help once again

definitely time to lean bulk (0.5lb/week) you're lean enough to warrant a bulk. that does look like a mix of a thin layer of fat and skin. but adding muscle will get rid of that

DidNotReadL0L
07-15-2015, 11:51 PM
lean bulk for sure. you're too tall and not enough muscle to cut further IMO
lean bulk to 185 get your lifts up

hcrippers
07-16-2015, 12:28 AM
definitely time to lean bulk (0.5lb/week) you're lean enough to warrant a bulk. that does look like a mix of a thin layer of fat and skin. but adding muscle will get rid of that
Thanks! Is lean bulking just bulking but slower? Very new to all of this as you can tell...

aaron501
07-16-2015, 12:32 AM
Thanks! Is lean bulking just bulking but slower? Very new to all of this as you can tell...

yep, it means you're aiming for about 0.5lb weight gain a week, which is 250 cals above maintenance. it helps to minimize fat gains and focus on muscle, since studies have shown that the max amount of muscle gained per month is 2lb(which equals to 0.5lb a week) unless of course your on steroids

hcrippers
07-16-2015, 02:53 AM
yep, it means you're aiming for about 0.5lb weight gain a week, which is 250 cals above maintenance. it helps to minimize fat gains and focus on muscle, since studies have shown that the max amount of muscle gained per month is 2lb(which equals to 0.5lb a week) unless of course your on steroids
Sweet, thanks for the info!

How much cardio should i be doing? I was thinking about 15-20 mins of HIIT once or twice a week.

chewbrahca91
07-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Sweet, thanks for the info!

How much cardio should i be doing? I was thinking about 15-20 mins of HIIT once or twice a week.

Do as much cardio as you want as long as it doesn't affect your recovery and you're eating back those calories.

hcrippers
07-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, think I'll go for a nice, long, lean bulk!